My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
Respectfully, it seems to reason the GX255 is more analogous to the hydraulic X500’s being that it shared the frame of the LX yet had 300 hydraulics/transaxle.
I know the design engineer who came up with the X500 series
X500 & X520 was a replacement for the GT series
X534 & X540 was a replacement for the GX300 series
Deere wanted to streamline the belt driven Garden tractors into one series
They used the same frame for the X500 series which is very similar to the GX300 series frame design. Then in turn wanted to streamline further as they had done in the Past with the LX series lawn tractors sharing the same frame as the GT series garden tractors.
The LT & LX series were combined to Form the X300 series LT used a K46 LX used a K62 Deere decided they Only needed a K58 so the K62 was replaced with the K58 because at the time Tuff-Torq offered More Options with the K58 then the K62
But it was More cost effective to use the same frame design for both X300 & X500 series instead of having 3 different Frames LT, LX/GT & GX frames. They could further steam line the attachments Because the LX series attachments would work On the GX300 series But the LT attachments only fit on the LT series Ie the LT100 series Blower Was Based off the L100 series blower (y)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I completely understand what you’re saying their intentions were, but just pointing out how if one followed the “flow” so-to-speak that there isn’t a “true” GX300 contemporary. They may have consolidated and gave us less options, but a modern 300-series would theoretically be more capable than the X500’s.

Perhaps the GX255 was just a precursor to what was happening for 2006 - to test if people would bite on a L/GT-framed machine that has premium GT running gear.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I completely understand what you’re saying their intentions were, but just pointing out how if one followed the “flow” so-to-speak that there isn’t a “true” GX300 contemporary. They may have consolidated and gave us less options, but a modern 300-series would theoretically be more capable than the X500’s.

Perhaps the GX255 was just a precursor to what was happening for 2006 - to test if people would bite on a L/GT-framed machine that has premium GT running gear.
What does a gx345 have that an x540 doesn't?

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
A dedicated frame not shared with lawn tractors.
Is the frame on a gx345 stronger than the frame on an x540? I don't recall hearing of any frame issues on the x500 series. I have seen a few x700's with broken frames.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Is the frame on a gx345 stronger than the frame on an x540? I don't recall hearing of any frame issues on the x500 series. I have seen a few x700's with broken frames.
I’ve not been able to find any specs on the frame of a 300, but I don’t think X300/X500’s have concerns. That wasn’t my point, though. We went from one generation of LX/GT frame through 2005 to the next generation of combined LGT frames in the X300/X500 in 2006 while dropping the dedicated-frame 300’s.

The X500’s received many improvements for their new generation of shared-frame GT’s - just as auto manufacturers do with new generation vehicles. Rather than continue a separate premium GT like the 300’s, JD eliminated them and continued with what they did by introducing the GX255 on the shared-frame LGT.

If they had continued making a premium GT, then the GX300’s would have been between the X500’s and X700’s - but they didn’t continue building a premium GT. Saying the upper-trimmed X500’s are the next gen GX300’s is not correct no matter what JD intentioned. The upper-trimmed X500’s are just the next gen GX255.

Put another way, the X540 is just the next-gen GX255. The X590 being the mid-cycle refresh of that.
They key is the platform/frame, not the intention. GX255 was the best of the LGT frame - same as the X540/X590.

I’m not knocking the X500’s. The designers may have had to make the upper levels work to entice 300-series owners, but designers are constrained by accountants, so they worked with what they were told they could do. While the upper-level X500’s are just as capable as old GX300’s, if there were a next generation of the GX’s, then they’d have been even better yet.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
OTE="demonspeed, post: 12401657, member: 319914"]
I’ve not been able to find any specs on the frame of a 300, but I don’t think X300/X500’s have concerns. That wasn’t my point, though. We went from one generation of LX/GT frame through 2005 to the next generation of combined LGT frames in the X300/X500 in 2006 while dropping the dedicated-frame 300’s.

The X500’s received many improvements for their new generation of shared-frame GT’s - just as auto manufacturers do with new generation vehicles. Rather than continue a separate premium GT like the 300’s, JD eliminated them and continued with what they did by introducing the GX255 on the shared-frame LGT.

If they had continued making a premium GT, then the GX300’s would have been between the X500’s and X700’s - but they didn’t continue building a premium GT. Saying the upper-trimmed X500’s are the next gen GX300’s is not correct no matter what JD intentioned. The upper-trimmed X500’s are just the next gen GX255.

Put another way, the X540 is just the next-gen GX255. The X590 being the mid-cycle refresh of that.
They key is the platform/frame, not the intention. GX255 was the best of the LGT frame - same as the X540/X590.

I’m not knocking the X500’s. The designers may have had to make the upper levels work to entice 300-series owners, but designers are constrained by accountants, so they worked with what they were told they could do. While the upper-level X500’s are just as capable as old GX300’s, if there were a next generation of the GX’s, then they’d have been even better It sounds like you are saying the x500 series is not as good as a gx300 series because the frame on the x500 is the same as the frame on the x300. It sounds to me like the frame on the x500 is plenty strong, as neither of us have heard of an issue. So that would make the x300 frame much stronger than necessary. How is this an issue?

I’m not knocking the X500’s. The designers may have had to make the upper levels work to entice 300-series owners, but designers are constrained by accountants, so they worked with what they were told they could do. While the upper-level X500’s are just as capable as old GX300’s, if there were a next generation of the GX’s, then they’d have been even better yet.
It sounds like you are saying the x500 series is not as good as a gx300 series because the frame on the x500 is the same as the frame on the x300. It sounds to me like the frame on the x500 is plenty strong, as neither of us have heard of an issue. So that would make the x300 frame much stronger than necessary. How is this an issue?
-In what way is the x540 not a direct replacement for the gx345. Seems it is better in every way. One example would be the fragile plastic hood and side panels on my gx345 are now a much more flexible one piece plastic on the x500's. Another improvement would be all x500's have diff lock vs only the last 2 model years of the gx345 series. IMHO, if someone was happy owning a gx345 they will be just as happy owning an x530, x540, or x590.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Of course the X500's are beyond the specs of GX300's -- the newest one is 15 years old (and a design which debuted in 1995). My point is the dedicated-platform "premium GT" was discontinued in 2005. The X500's evolved from the GX255. The X500's share the X300 lawn tractor frame -- just as the GT's (and GX255) did with the LX's. Nothing more, nothing less. Had there been a next generation GX in 2006, it would have theoretically slotted between the X500's ad X700's (X600, perhaps?).

For posterity, here's how the GX300 frame compared to the LX/GT/GX255 frame (taken from the 2004 brochure). Imagine what the difference would be if we were comparing a contemporary “X600” frame to the X300/X500 frame in 2020:

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
The X500 series frames are a continuation and a similar design to the GX300 series frame only real difference is the engine shelf is removable on the X500 series frames and the Rear Plates and front Plates are Interchangeable.
The X500 model uses the same Frame as any X500 series The current change is No Front rocker shaft. Deere basically deleted the LX/GT series frame While utilizing a similar design to the GX300 series frame for the X300 & X500 series frames.

Only thing I don't Like about the X500 series is the Hydraulic lift lever! Other than That there just as good if not better that a GX300 series

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If I have one complaint about my X590-- that would be it.My Hydraulic lift lever hasn't broken yet ( although I hear that's a common problem) but it doesnt give me the precise control I would like to have-- when for instance I want to raise the blower one inch off ground to go over grass to blow paths for the dogs, I can eventually get the inch but I usually have to fiddle with it

·
Registered
549 Posts
The X500 series frames are a continuation and a similar design to the GX300 series frame only real difference is the engine shelf is removable on the X500 series frames and the Rear Plates and front Plates are Interchangeable.
The X500 model uses the same Frame as any X500 series The current change is No Front rocker shaft. Deere basically deleted the LX/GT series frame While utilizing a similar design to the GX300 series frame for the X300 & X500 series frames.

Only thing I don't Like about the X500 series is the Hydraulic lift lever! Other than That there just as good if not better that a GX300 series
For the record, I’m in no way trying to imply the X500’s are inferior to the GX300’s. I totally expect that when a new generation of any machine/vehicle/appliance/electronics/etc is released that it will be improved upon a previous iteration. Such may be entirely new designs or bits from more premium, existing lines.

The Camaro has had available the Corvette’s engine since 1987 - would that mean if the Corvette ceased to exist that a next generation Camaro would be the combination of a Camaro and a Corvette and marketed as the Corvette replacement? No, absolutely not. It would mean the Corvette platform is gone and the Camaro was simply the best it could be in its new generation. The same goes for the LX/GT/GX200’s, GX300’s, and X300/X500’s - the GX300’s were discontinued without any successor. The LX/GT/GX200’s continued into their next generation as the X300/X500’s while utilizing some of the technologies from the discontinued, premium line that were the GX300’s - even surpassing what USED to be a more premium platform of machine.

Again, this is not a slight on the X500’s whatsoever. We’ve got a lawn tractor and garden tractor sharing a frame and associated parts in the X300/X500. That’s precisely what the LX200/GT200’s did. We also have top trims of the X500’s getting up-level drivetrains while still retaining the same shared platform and otherwise virtually identical to the “lower” X500’s. The GX255 did the same thing - premium drivetrain and hydraulics, but LGT platform and otherwise virtually identical to the GT200’s.

·
blinged out
1,127 Posts
I'm still a little surprised or maybe a better word is disappointed that the x540 was entry level liquid and they dropped it! Deere forcing you to go to X7 for real longevity! Glad I got mine the last year of production,when it's time for a new tractor I'll dump the x500 I have at home,bring home the x540 from the resort and decide which direction to go for a new one when the time comes!The resort tractor doesn't see implement or winter use so 4wd is of no value,it's strictly a mower! diesel would be nice though, I'm noticing quite a difference in fuel consuption from the 430 to x540! wish they had an x5 diesel, i don't need bells and whistles just fuel economy,P.S. and a good cut!

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your X500 is otherwise reliable, then I’m not sure how much you’d truly gain going to the X540 just for sake of liquid cooling. However, the hydraulic lift and steering is very nice.

If you desire a diesel yet do not require a shaft-drive HDGT, the GX355 is your newest option.

·
blinged out
1,127 Posts
the P.S. is worth every penny! I never thought it would be a game changer until I had it! the P> lift would be nice when the blower is loaded with snow,I've never had the blower on the 540. for cutting I prefer x500 manual lift much quicker and precise!
A new diesel powered x540 I would buy in a heartbeat if they could market one for about 10K cdn.
an x320 with diff. lock who'd a thought that would sell!certainly not deere!

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I was looking for a tractor, I scoffed at the praises of power steering believing only old guys cared about that... Then I bought my GX345. I’ll never own another tractor without it.

That means one of two things: PS truly is a great convenience - or I’m an old guy.

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
For the record, I’m in no way trying to imply the X500’s are inferior to the GX300’s. I totally expect that when a new generation of any machine/vehicle/appliance/electronics/etc is released that it will be improved upon a previous iteration. Such may be entirely new designs or bits from more premium, existing lines.

The Camaro has had available the Corvette’s engine since 1987 - would that mean if the Corvette ceased to exist that a next generation Camaro would be the combination of a Camaro and a Corvette and marketed as the Corvette replacement? No, absolutely not. It would mean the Corvette platform is gone and the Camaro was simply the best it could be in its new generation. The same goes for the LX/GT/GX200’s, GX300’s, and X300/X500’s - the GX300’s were discontinued without any successor. The LX/GT/GX200’s continued into their next generation as the X300/X500’s while utilizing some of the technologies from the discontinued, premium line that were the GX300’s - even surpassing what USED to be a more premium platform of machine.

Again, this is not a slight on the X500’s whatsoever. We’ve got a lawn tractor and garden tractor sharing a frame and associated parts in the X300/X500. That’s precisely what the LX200/GT200’s did. We also have top trims of the X500’s getting up-level drivetrains while still retaining the same shared platform and otherwise virtually identical to the “lower” X500’s. The GX255 did the same thing - premium drivetrain and hydraulics, but LGT platform and otherwise virtually identical to the GT200’s.
GX255 Did not have Hydraulics for Lift But had Has a Manual spring assist Lift foot pedal But a K71 Trans with diff/lock and it did run Hydraulic Power steering

The Sucessor for the GX300 series was The X500 series!!! The sussesor for the GT series was also the X500 series!!! As I have stated Multiply Time the X500 series frame is Based On the GX300 series frame design The Sucessor for the LT & LX series is the X300 series But there using a Frame design similar to what the GX300 series use to use

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
I'm still a little surprised or maybe a better word is disappointed that the x540 was entry level liquid and they dropped it! Deere forcing you to go to X7 for real longevity! Glad I got mine the last year of production,when it's time for a new tractor I'll dump the x500 I have at home,bring home the x540 from the resort and decide which direction to go for a new one when the time comes!The resort tractor doesn't see implement or winter use so 4wd is of no value,it's strictly a mower! diesel would be nice though, I'm noticing quite a difference in fuel consuption from the 430 to x540! wish they had an x5 diesel, i don't need bells and whistles just fuel economy,P.S. and a good cut!
Reason the X540 was dropped was do to Low sales Numbers Once the X530 Came on the Market the X540 sales Numbers started to dropped The Lowest sales Number of any X500 series was the X520 Liquid cooling just didn't sell well In the Belt driven Garden tractor series Once the X500 series was Introduced. People seemed to rather Have Power steering & Hydraulic lift over Liquid cooling. I prefer the Air cooled engines Myself That is why I Bought a used GX335. But Part of My reasoning was also do to the Kawasaki issues with the cooling design there were several Hiccups In the Older 345 and they had a few again in the 2006 model year of the X540. I purchased a Used 2012 X540 In 2016 and it has never Been a Problem for a friend of mine other Than needing a New ignition switch But I think That was a user issue on his Part Because the new Ignition switch has the same Issue Key has to be Jiggled to get it to shut off:) and then with the Introduction of the X590 for the last year of the X540 Production The X590 seemed to sell better so the Liquid cooling was dropped in favor of Having a EFI engine. But who knows what feedback will bring the Future Might see LC again in the Belt driven Garden tractors as Far as Diesel went the 355 & GX355 were neve had High Volume sales In North America Because for the Price You could Upgrade to a More Capable tractor Being the 425 thru 455 or the X400 series (y)

·
Registered
549 Posts
A successor for the GX300’s would have been a “X600”. The X300/X500 share a L&G frame. LX200/GT200/GX255 - shared a L&G frame. It doesn’t matter what parts of a past generations of any line are utilized on new gens of any line - LT, LGT, GT, HDGT - that’s normal in manufacturing in every single facet of production for the things we use.

It’s VERY clear from the picture I posted between the frames that there would have absolutely been a difference in frames between the X300/X500 and “X600” had there been a successor to the GX300’s. The GX255 was absolutely a precursor to the X540 regardless of not having LC or hydro lift - machines don’t have to have the same exact ”bolt ons” to be considered next-gen. K71C and PS was a significant upgrade for the L&G platform. It only makes sense that the next gen “top-of-the-line” model would improve on that - otherwise, why would anyone upgrade and/or why would manufacturers continue to add features?!

Again, designers must work within the confines of their resources. Accountants said there is no longer a business case to continue a dedicated premium GT line to slot between the L&G and HDGT lines. It’s that simple. The X300/X500 platforms we’re going to have significant improvements over their precursor L&GT’s, and with the GX255 as an example, it was determined that type of trim on a L&G platform would be sufficient for the new generation of residential tractors for 2006 (and if people wanted more, they were forced to make a significant financial and utility jump into the HDGT X700’s).

I am confident that had there been money allocated for it, a ”X600” GX successor would have been made to continue the premium GT line.

·
Registered
549 Posts
@Sergeant - this is the most philosophical discussion I’ve ever had about tractors, lol 😂 Please don’t take any offense to my obstinance!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
And where would this X600 fit price wise-? it has to make sense or it wont sell - take 355 for example excellent tractor- but just didnt fit in line up price wise so it was a low volume sales unit and was discontinued . If you had a X600 series in 10 K range-- it wouldnt sell-- too close in price to X700 series

Personally I think Deere's line up makes sense from 300 series to 700 series-- you want liquid cooled, diesel or 4 wheel you go to 700 series, you want medium duty GT, diff lock 500 series, Premium lawn tractor 300 series

Still think its a moot point, since while similar upper 500 series are pretty much the same or slightly better in every way ( except if you are liquid cooled fan)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts