My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 gx345. Am thinking of up grading to a 10 x500. I'll want to use the mower, tiller, and snowblower that fit the x500. Will this unit serve my needs?
Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
My 2014 X500 has no hydraulics, but the build and frame is very robust and uses the K72 trans. If you have more than an acre or plan on heavy work, consider the hydraulics more for attachments than for power steering. My manual steering is nearly effortless. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That’s not an upgrade considering you’re giving up hydraulic lift and steering. If just looking to get a newer machine that’s comparable to your GX345 then you need to be looking for a X540

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
That’s not an upgrade considering you’re giving up hydraulic lift and steering. If just looking to get a newer machine that’s comparable to your GX345 then you need to be looking for a X540
What he said. Not clear did you think the 345 attachments would work on the X500 ?? NOT

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a X500 and it suits me well but keep in mind that the X500 actually has the same frame as the X300-series. It does have a heavier duty transaxle. Unfortunately JD doesn't offer a liquid cooled engine like you have now in any of the current X500 models. You would have to jump up to a X700-series to get liquid cooling (and EFI). They do have X500-series models with power steering and hydraulic implement lift but they are still air cooled. As others have mentioned, repurposing your GX345 implements probably isn't going to work. JD seems to go out of their way to ensure implements have poor cross-compatibility. Heck, even some X500 attachments won't work on the newer X570 even though they are basically the same machine.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I bought an electric 3 point hitch for an X520 that I installed. I beefed up the contact points on the frame of the 520 but it isn't anywhere near as strong as the $x5 series frames. I made a carry-all for the 3ph and then stood on the arms and jumped a little and the whole rear frame of the 520 was flexing. I weight about 230 lbs so that tells you that the X5xx series is not that robust. I do not understand what JD was trying to do with the X300, X500 line up. What exactly does the X500 offer over the X300 line up? My X390 has PS and deck lift like the X530 with the same frame. The only difference is the tranny. To me, it looks like if you boost the tranny then the frame should go up also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought an electric 3 point hitch for an X520 that I installed. I beefed up the contact points on the frame of the 520 but it isn't anywhere near as strong as the $x5 series frames. I made a carry-all for the 3ph and then stood on the arms and jumped a little and the whole rear frame of the 520 was flexing. I weight about 230 lbs so that tells you that the X5xx series is not that robust. I do not understand what JD was trying to do with the X300, X500 line up. What exactly does the X500 offer over the X300 line up? My X390 has PS and deck lift like the X530 with the same frame. The only difference is the tranny. To me, it looks like if you boost the tranny then the frame should go up also.
S
Thanks for all the Info. Its very Informative. My 345 engine is getting tired. I was thinking that moving to a 500 series was the way to go, but maybe not.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
As mentioned above, the X540 or X530 will be an upgrade for the GX345. The 530 is air-cooled but the same otherwise. I have a GX345 and a GX335 and they are the older versions of the 540 and the 530.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A heavier duty transaxle and differential lock. Diff lock was my main reason for choosing the X500 over a X300 model.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The X300/X500 are what the LX/GT line was previously. There is no true 300/GX replacement. That said, I don’t think there’s anything “wrong” with the X500’s, especially in the higher trims which have drivetrains comparable to the GX (even if they’re riding on a frame comparable to the LX/GT).

Are you having any problems with the engine in your tractor now? How many hours? What makes you feel like it’s getting tired?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
If you can find a fresh model, the GX345 is one heck of a tractor. It has it all and you will have to go to the 700 series to come close to it at a much higher price.

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
The X300/X500 are what the LX/GT line was previously. There is no true 300/GX replacement. That said, I don’t think there’s anything “wrong” with the X500’s, especially in the higher trims which have drivetrains comparable to the GX (even if they’re riding on a frame comparable to the LX/GT).

Are you having any problems with the engine in your tractor now? How many hours? What makes you feel like it’s getting tired?
X300 series & X500 series share the same frame

X300 series replaced both the LT100 & LX200 series

X500 & X520 Model were replacements for the GT200 series

X534 & X540 were replacements for the GX300 series

GT225 thru GX255 Had K71 & K71C f(or GX255) transmissions

GX325 thru GX355 Had started with the K71 A the GX325 was Dropped and Had the K71C once Diff/lock was added

The GT200 & GX300 series were combined to give You the X500 series

LT100 & LX200 series were combined to give you the X300 series

But the X500 series is a direct replacement for Both the GT & GX series tractors Deere wanted to stream line the belt driven Garden tractors series that is why they Came out with the X500 series

The same was the Idea of the X300 series to stream line the LT & LX series into one line

X500 series uses a K72

X300 series uses Both a K46. K58 Originally only the X300R & X300 had a K46 second Year of X304 Production the K58 was traded out for a K46. The X310 had a K58 the X370 has a K57 The Only real Update for the Current X300 series was Deere Changed how front Mounted attachments are Lifted instead of using a second rocket shaft they made Parts to use the Main rocker shaft to lift Implements same for the Current X500 series The front attachments from the the first X300 & X500 series 2006 till 2015 will fit On the new Present X500 series You Just need to buy a adapter Kit.
Yes they did add a a AWS with Hydraulic Lift & Power steering to the X300 series

The 30inch Tiller & 42inch Hydraulic tiller from the Older X500 series 2006 till 2015 with work On the Current X500 series without a Kit same for the Hydraulically lifted Integral Hitch

The Only real difference Between the GX300 series frame & the X500 series frame is the GX300 series Engine Platform was Part of the Frame & the Platform On the X500 series is Bolted In. And the front rear Plated are also Bolted On the X500 series frame

The X500 series with Hydraulic Lift is the Direct replacement for the GX300 series

Manual lift X500 series is a direct replacement for the GT200 series
:)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have an 04 gx345. Am thinking of up grading to a 10 x500. I'll want to use the mower, tiller, and snowblower that fit the x500. Will this unit serve my needs?
Thanks

Simple answer is yes, more complicated answer is you will be giving up power steering and hydraulics. I dont know about you, but I would find it difficult to ever go back to tractor without power steering. If you are interested in going to 500 series tractor, I'd look at X530, X540, X580 and X590 models , all have power steering and hydraulics and are more similar to your GX345

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
You would have to jump up to a X700-series to get liquid cooling (and EFI).
Yu are correct about the liquid coplling on current X500 series models, but the current X590 has EFI. ALso, he was asking about a 2010 X500, not a new model in the X500 series, and there was the X540 made in the same time that had liquid cooling, but no EFI. I don't think his GX345 had EFI either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Puffs of smoke occasionally, burns a little oil, etc. Don't know the hours as the meter is unreadable. If the engine is failing would the hydro system be on it's way out also? I'd consider an engine rebuild but I don't know if it is worth it. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just an added thought on this.

I didn't see or I missed any mention of the size and type of property or projects you are dealing with. If you are thinking about an upgrade, I'd think that would be a major consideration, along with your physical abilities. (None of us are getting younger).

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Puffs of smoke occasionally, burns a little oil, etc. Don't know the hours as the meter is unreadable. If the engine is failing would the hydro system be on it's way out also? I'd consider an engine rebuild but I don't know if it is worth it. Thanks
With proper care the hydro should be good for a lot of hours. A lot will depend on how hard you use it but again with care it should last the life of the machine.

On the engine it does sound like it is a "little" tired but honestly unless your noticing power loss or high oil consumption I'd keep running it. My guess is that if anything in the future it might benefit from some new rings but my guess is the lower end is in good shape. So al long as the rest of the machine is in good working order you'd be money ahead to keep running it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With proper care the hydro should be good for a lot of hours. A lot will depend on how hard you use it but again with care it should last the life of the machine.

On the engine it does sound like it is a "little" tired but honestly unless your noticing power loss or high oil consumption I'd keep running it. My guess is that if anything in the future it might benefit from some new rings but my guess is the lower end is in good shape. So al long as the rest of the machine is in good working order you'd be money ahead to keep running it.
Just did a compression test. 180 psi on one side 160 psi on the other side. Maybe I have more of a carburetor issue than anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if this will help with your question but I have a 2016 X584 that has power steering, lift & 4 wheel steering and it's the best machine I have ever owned. I had a LX280, X320 & X360. The 300 series were not tough or powerful enough for my needs. The X584 makes blowing and plowing a breeze with the tight turn radius. GL

·
Registered
549 Posts
The X500 series with Hydraulic Lift is the Direct replacement for the GX300 series
Respectfully, it seems to reason the GX255 is more analogous to the hydraulic X500’s being that it shared the frame of the LX yet had 300 hydraulics/transaxle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts