My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that the transaxle in my John Deere X500 will take 5w50 synthetic oil as a replacement for the original Hygard. Any recommendations? :thanku:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greetings !
I went to deere.com and looked up hygard, it has an ISO viscosity of between 46 and 68, ISO 46 and 68 are both 20 wieght oils, ISO 100 is a 30 WT., ISO 150 is a 40 WT., and an ISO 220 is a 50 WT.
Your Deere will work super with Amsoil ATH transmission/hydraulic fluid, it will also run 20 to 50 deg. cooler, and reduce wear by nearly half.
Here is a link to Amsoil ATH, please contact me if you would like to give Amsoil a try.
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-hydraulic-oil?zo=531421
Thank you !
Have a great day !
Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi
I have a x 500 and I wanted to change to synthetic at my 50 hour service. So I reached out to Tuff Torque to see if I could switch to synthetic, because I saw on their web site some of the other tranny's they made they recommended going to synthetic but the k71 was not listed, so I emailed them and asked the question and they responded to use Hy- Guard.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I have a x 500 and I wanted to change to synthetic at my 50 hour service. So I reached out to Tuff Torque to see if I could switch to synthetic, because I saw on their web site some of the other tranny's they made they recommended going to synthetic but the k71 was not listed, so I emailed them and asked the question and they responded to use Hy- Guard.
Strange they recommend synthetic in the others, but not ours. I think I am still gonna change to synthetic this coming spring. :trink39:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The person you emailed or called did the same thing I did, they looked it up in John Deere info and told you that. The person might be good at looking things up but may have no idea what synthetic oil is.

So any fluid that meets the J20D will work. I would use the AMSOIL ATH if you want a good synthetic. plan to use that in my JD.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The person you emailed or called did the same thing I did, they looked it up in John Deere info and told you that. The person might be good at looking things up but may have no idea what synthetic oil is.

So any fluid that meets the J20D will work. I would use the AMSOIL ATH if you want a good synthetic. plan to use that in my JD.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds good to me. :trink39:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts