My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random thought and I know there has been a little discussion before but the other day I had a thought. The X500 series JD machines seem to be very popular. Maybe more popular than then GT/GX line? Im not sure, maybe it is just because there is a higher percentage of newer X series owners online talking, viewing, asking, etc. vs. the previous group of GT/GX owners? Anyways I still dont get why Curtis, Cozy, and/or Femco have not made a nice cab enclosure for these machines. I would think the first one to do so would enjoy the proceeds as they would be the only one in the game besides the OTC that many complain about the fit. Im now thinking there must be a reason that a) the machine itself should not have one or b) the design of the machine that has kept the cab manufacturers from producing a product for the newest JD X series.

Anyone else with some insight?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
its not A or B it is no market, as people don't want to pay what Cozy or Curtis want to charge for a GT cab.

would you pay (3.5-5K) for a cab for an X5xx? almost no one would... and that price assumes they coudl sell some, probably have to charge 6K+ for the amount they would actually sell... when you see one up close you will see that a LOT of work goes into making one...

most would pay 1500$ for a hard cab with soft doors, but for that today you only get an OTC cab, and while better than nothing, its not a cozy or a curtis...

When you pay 12K+ for the tractor I guess 4K is easier to swallow, but even then you don't see a lot of cabs on those either, most would rather add a FEL or similar I guess...

clearly a cab is a 100% luxury item. there is nothing you can do with a cab that you cannot do without... many figure they can buy a lot of carharts for $4K :)

shame though as now that I am used to it, I don't see how I could have a tractor without one for snowblowing. So buying anything new, less than a x7xx is out of the question...

·
Registered
869 Posts
4K? Holey Moley! I just can't see that. There's a way around that. Make one out of Fiberglas or Carbon Fiber. Use some 3/8's or so plywood for the form and done! It's not that difficult, really.
There's seven (7) pages of search results on YouTube for "fiberglass mold making" query.
Step one- draw (or have someone draw) what you want
Step two- watch everything there is on PhewTube
Step three- make one from cardboard
Step four- move cardboard design to wood.
follow directions that make the most sense.

play around with the materials. Buy small kits to see how the material works. It's not rocket surgery :thThumbsU. That's not to say it's fallin off a log simple but if you can connect to the internets you can do the epoxy/resin/fibrous material thing.

Look, in 1973 I had a after school job shooting chopped strand into hull forms. The idiots I worked with would go outside and huff a few fatties at break time, come inside and go back to work. You're smarter than someone that just smoked a joint - right? Full disclosure- not all hulls floated evenly so there were side effects :trink40: like a 3/4 inch thickness difference hoo-boy

All I'm saying is that there are ways around this $4k stupidity and it needn't involve buying something cobbled together in India/China and shipped here in wet cardboard. Invest in yourself and you'd be surprised how competent you are. There's going to be small disasters but all in all you'll pull through just fine. You're smarter and more determined than you give yourself credit for.

I see all the machine work and landscaping, carpentry, maintenance and all the other really sophisticated procedures all of us do and then we go off and let someone else "make" for us.

We're better than that.

rant over

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
lot more work than it would seem... (unfortunatly)

units with ROPS are easer to get started with, a GT is not...

they don't charge 4K+ just to pork you, (even though it feels that way) it takes a lot of time and materials to build one and then when the market is for 100 sales, well you see the probelm...

I am sure cozy and curtis wish there were a market in the GTs as there sure a lot of them, I think at 1500$ MOST northerners could justify the cost, unfortunatly they cannot make them for that $$$...

Man did I get lucky, didn't know what a JD even 345 was but asked on here a year ago august as was told it was a great machine and got one in CL that week; tractor w/450 hours, blower, 48C mower, weights and chains for $2250!

then the next week I decided I needed a cab, went looking in CL and there was a curtis cab for a 345 less than an hour away for 350$ in excellent shape. I thought it was easy! truth is I have NEVER seen another one for sale since then and its been over a year now...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
its not A or B it is no market, as people don't want to pay what Cozy or Curtis want to charge for a GT cab.

would you pay (3.5-5K) for a cab for an X5xx? almost no one would... and that price assumes they coudl sell some, probably have to charge 6K+ for the amount they would actually sell... when you see one up close you will see that a LOT of work goes into making one...

most would pay 1500$ for a hard cab with soft doors, but for that today you only get an OTC cab, and while better than nothing, its not a cozy or a curtis...

When you pay 12K+ for the tractor I guess 4K is easier to swallow, but even then you don't see a lot of cabs on those either, most would rather add a FEL or similar I guess...

clearly a cab is a 100% luxury item. there is nothing you can do with a cab that you cannot do without... many figure they can buy a lot of carharts for $4K :)

shame though as now that I am used to it, I don't see how I could have a tractor without one for snowblowing. So buying anything new, less than a x7xx is out of the question...

Your saying there is nothing you can do with a cab that you cannot do without.

Well in my case without the cab I probably wouldn't even have this place, I would get an apartment or a small house with a tiny driveway.

After this mini stroke, I can't handle the cold and dampness.

But with this heated cab I can really give er. To tell you the truth I think this cab (tractor) saved my health, got some big gardens in and keeps me outside in the summer watering them and whatever.

My health is so much better now then before I got this tractor.

Some of you may remember a post I made on here about a year and a half ago, I talked to the wife that we would move, or hire somebody to snowblow or buy a tractor with a heated cab. Were comfortable here all winter, never get cold so to speak and I am always watching the weather in hopes of some real bad snow storms.

The heated cab turned our winters around to a fun time, and I'll be 70 years old in a week. Snow storms mean seat time, I don't have to say anymore about that.:fing32:

One last thing, when I drive down to the end of my driveway and its all cleaned out, I'm setting in this tractor with the heater on low and the windows are all clear and its snowing a little with the N.E. wind off Lake Michigan whipping down the road, the comfortable warm relaxed feeling setting out in the really cold weather, its hard to explain.

Its just to bad I was 68 years old before I got it.

Rob

·

Well in my case without the cab I probably wouldn't even have this place, I would get an apartment or a small house with a tiny driveway.

But with this heated cab I can really give er. To tell you the truth I think this cab (tractor) saved my health, got some big gardens in and keeps me outside in the summer watering them and whatever.

Some of you may remember a post I made on here about a year and a half ago, I talked to the wife that we would move, or hire somebody to snowblow or buy a tractor with a heated cab. Were comfortable here all winter, never get cold so to speak and I am always watching the weather in hopes of some real bad snow storms.

The heated cab turned our winters around to a fun time, and I'll be 70 years old in a week. Snow storms mean seat time, I don't have to say anymore about that.:fing32:

One last thing, when I drive down to the end of my driveway and its all cleaned out, I'm setting in this tractor with the heater on low and the windows are all clear and its snowing a little with the N.E. wind off Lake Michigan whipping down the road, the comfortable warm relaxed feeling setting out in the really cold weather, its hard to explain.

Rob

Rob, I've got to tell you, that was a beautiful post.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I have the JD 3 sided soft cab (weather enclosure), and I added my own heater. Total was less than $400.00 and I was warm and toasty all winter. Once the initial hardware was mounted to the tractor, the cab is easy to install in the fall and remove in the spring.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts

Rob
Wishing there was a [Like] Button. :fing32:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
...Anyways I still dont get why Curtis, Cozy, and/or Femco have not made a nice cab enclosure for these machines. I would think the first one to do so would enjoy the proceeds as they would be the only one in the game besides the OTC that many complain about the fit...
Here you go:

X300/500 Cab

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
To bad that cab is more than a X500! You would think femco could do a hard cab soft door cab like the had for the GX's and keep it around 2K.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This is the main reason I bought a low hour gx345 instead of a x540 so I could have a nice cab. Having a cab in winter is great, even without heat. Doesn't matter how windy or cold it is, it's always better than sitting on a tractor with no cab.

·
Jim at River's Edge
42 Posts
Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone here have the hardtop cab sold at Green Dealer? www.shopgreendealer.com

Looks substanital enough and not expensive. (Not affiliated in anyway; not to be mistaken as an adverstisement, etc.)

Thanks,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
mhussey I personally Like My OTC soft weather enclosure and the reason I went with That over a Soft ROPS Cab( wouldn't Buy the Hard ROPS Cab Because I have a loader) is simple. Storage! I don't want to leave the Cab on Year round. and as Far as I'm concerned the fit is Just Fine and the OTC cab for the X300 & X500 Really doesn’t Mount that differently from the OTC cab for the X465 thru X749 You could Mount one of the Heaters from a Curtis Cab in the OTC cab and If I were to do that I would just make a apron to go around the tractor pedestal Vents:thThumbsU

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To bad that cab is more than a X500! You would think femco could do a hard cab soft door cab like the had for the GX's and keep it around 2K.
Ditto, people have been buying and using cabs on John Deere GTs from the 140s,300s, GT/GXs, etc. I still think there would be a market for a hardtop/side cab w/ soft doors for that price range. Lets say I wanted (and mostly have) a liquid cooled John Deere with power steering, differential lock, 54" MMM, 47" snowblower AND a cab. I could buy an X700/720 with all of this for what 16-19k?? Or buy an X540 for $9300 plus a $2500 cab and $4k left in the bank.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone here have the hardtop cab sold at Green Dealer? www.shopgreendealer.com

Looks substanital enough and not expensive. (Not affiliated in anyway; not to be mistaken as an adverstisement, etc.)

Thanks,
Jim
Checkout the link in my signature for the WE - Weather Enclosure, ...

Also, don't forget stladrill's excellent home made cab. Metal angles, plywood (or similar), plexiglass (or whatever it is), green paint, LED lights, ... He has threads up here on the build then upgrades to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts