My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plow blade wants to stay up,when in down position. Is there an easy way to adjust it?:banghead3

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When plowing snow I reach down w/lefthand and pull up on bracket so I can clear snow or with left foot for some down pressure on plow but it really wants to float an inch up in the air.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I assume that you have some range of motion when your press the pedal, correct? You press the pedal and the blade raises, release the lock and lower the pedal and the blade goes down correct? Just not far enough?

The horizontal arm that connects the foot pedal lift mechanism to the blade is adjustable. If you want the full weight of the blade to rest on the ground when pushing snow, the max blade height needs to be set at about only 4". This will ensure that the blade has sufficient drop.

If the blade when raised is above 4" or so, adjust the rod until 4" is reached.

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Oh, what a minute. You added the oversized tires to your tractor didn't you? You most definitely will need to adjust your blade if it is still adjusted for the original factory tires.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, what a minute. You added the oversized tires to your tractor didn't you? You most definitely will need to adjust your blade if it is still adjusted for the original factory tires.
All above is correct that you posted, but with the bigger back tires it should hang lower in the front correct? Also it did the same with the factory tires.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When plowing snow I reach down w/lefthand and pull up on bracket so I can clear snow or with left foot for some down pressure on plow but it really wants to float an inch up in the air.
Even though I have an X500 with the same plow on it, I don't understand this.

There are two adjustments that you may need to mess with. One is the link on the left side of the tractor that has an adjustable-position yoke on each end of it. The other adjustment that you may need to work with is the spring that assists you in lifting the blade or mower deck. It's this second one that I was referring to when I suggested adding weight to the blade to see if it can travel further down with the weight on it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Did you put the wheels on the blade in the storage position?

:ditto: After that, check your lift assist spring adjustment.

A picture of the left side of the tractor with blade in the lowered position might help us.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Have you adjusted the tension on the lift spring properly? Also make sure that your deck height adjustment knob is all of the way down to the 1" setting.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JD installed the plow on the tractor, I am thinking the lift spring like you guys had mentioned . How do I adjust the lift spring? Here are some pics of the pedal released- 2x4 behind blade for reference,and R&L side I hope this helps

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Ok this is the bolt you have to unscrew to release tension on the spring, you've got to bring the yellow top end on the spring (see from the holes in the frame) at is lowest position or as you desire, toward the back of the tractor.

Make sure you adjustment knob for the deck is at "0"

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok this is the bolt you have to unscrew to release tension on the spring, you've got to bring the yellow top end on the spring (see from the holes in the frame) at is lowest position or as you desire, toward the back of the tractor.

Make sure you adjustment knob for the deck is at "0"

Thanks stladrill I will give this a try,and thanks to everybody else..

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was it , to much tension on the spring. I turned it a couple of times now it drops down perfect thanks stladrill

·
Registered
989 Posts
That was it , to much tension on the spring. I turned it a couple of times now it drops down perfect thanks stladrill
Did the cut height gauge play in to the problem at all or was it strictly spring tension?

With my new power lift the spring does not come into play any longer, nor does the cut height gauge. I did check where my spring was situated though, and the nut on the end of the spring is centered in the middle of the hole marked for the 48" deck. Before the power lift this was the setting I used for the blade and I had no problem lowering blade to the ground or raising it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.