My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed off and was approved for the John Deere 4.9/48 month financing for my purchase. The snowblade is on backorder so I'll pick it up later and take delivery of my X500 in the next couple of days.

I'll fire up the camera and camcorder when it arrives.

Question - How hard is to install the angling mechanism and the snowblade?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Congrats on the New X500!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Whoo Hooo! You are going to LOVE the X500! Congrats!
Did you opt for the HDAP rear tires? They are awesome!!!

Not sure on the blade but I am sure someone here will know...

Can't wait for the pics!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoo Hooo! You are going to LOVE the X500! Congrats!
Did you opt for the HDAP rear tires? They are awesome!!!

Not sure on the blade but I am sure someone here will know...

Can't wait for the pics!
I opted for the turf tires with chains and wheel weights since I have a lot of flat area to mow in addition to my hillside.

I'm guessing if I don't like the performance of the turf tire, the dealer will swap out to HDAP under the JD Promise?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I opted for the turf tires with chains and wheel weights since I have a lot of flat area to mow in addition to my hillside.

I'm guessing if I don't like the performance of the turf tire, the dealer will swap out to HDAP under the JD Promise?
I don't think they will switch tires for you under the promise. I find no advantage at all to the turfs other than they match the fronts. I do not think the turfs are any easier on the grass unless you can manage to spin. With that said, the HDAP's have a LOT more grip! Wet grass is a breeze! They even say they are really good in the snow. You can still add chains to them if needed.

If you can get the dealer to do the swap before you take delivery, you would be much better off.
"hillside" = HDAP's!
My 2 cents of course...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think they will switch tires for you under the promise. I find no advantage at all to the turfs other than they match the fronts. I do not think the turfs are any easier on the grass unless you can manage to spin. With that said, the HDAP's have a LOT more grip! Wet grass is a breeze! They even say they are really good in the snow. You can still add chains to them if needed.

If you can get the dealer to do the swap before you take delivery, you would be much better off.
"hillside" = HDAP's!
My 2 cents of course...

How much more do HDAP's cost over turf?

·
Registered
289 Posts
How much more do HDAP's cost over turf?
That is a good question...I "think" the HDAP's are $80 - $90 a tire.
I think the dealer will do an even swap. Mine said I could swap when I was thinking of the X500. (I ended up with a X540)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
JD promise isn't pieces it's for the whole tractor. Get your HDAP's now you won't be disappointed. slkpk

·
Registered
403 Posts
You WANT the HDAP tires. call dealer and tell him you want them!
Dave

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats. I installed the blade & manual angle kit myself and it is fairly simple as long as you have the tools. Just so you know JD uses metric hardware. You'll also have to install front lift kit. There are a couple linkages that will need adjustments until you get it right but they are not that difficult to do. I have a dedicated set of HDAP filled with liquid ballast for winter mode. They provide much better traction in snow and never need chains. Since you have some hillside to mow, definitely get HDAP, you'll be glad you did when grass is a bit wet. Be sure to get four suitcases of weight or some liquid ballast for winter, I use both of them.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Correct !! My X520 comes with HDAP's but told the dealer I wanted turfs for the same reasons you did. Then I realized what I did and had them put the HDAP's BACK on before delivery. Luckily I am a good customer and they are great.
So glad I did, and the same chains go right on easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct !! My X520 comes with HDAP's but told the dealer I wanted turfs for the same reasons you did. Then I realized what I did and had them put the HDAP's BACK on before delivery. Luckily I am a good customer and they are great.
So glad I did, and the same chains go right on easily.
In my case it was ignorance, I had no idea the chains would not be equal to the task on my hills and when I move snow.

This is my first riding mower of any kind so I plead ignorant. :)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Oh I just go right to stupid, then the guys straighten me out !!

Check my signature

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats. I installed the blade & manual angle kit myself and it is fairly simple as long as you have the tools. Just so you know JD uses metric hardware. You'll also have to install front lift kit. There are a couple linkages that will need adjustments until you get it right but they are not that difficult to do. I have a dedicated set of HDAP filled with liquid ballast for winter mode. They provide much better traction in snow and never need chains. Since you have some hillside to mow, definitely get HDAP, you'll be glad you did when grass is a bit wet. Be sure to get four suitcases of weight or some liquid ballast for winter, I use both of them.
I ordered a blade and angle kit for mine also, what's the lift kit? does it come with the blade or angle kit?
I am sending my 500 back to get a 530, the 500 is great but for all the stuff I have to manuver aroundmowing and plowing) I decided I would be better served with the Power steering HDAP tires and hydraulics. Steering is the main problem, it's better than my 280's but not quite easy enough.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I believe it's called front implement lift kit something like this:

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/...hments/_front_implement_lift_kits_240etc.html

However maybe the front blade stock for current X500s comes with the lift kit already included. You probably should check your dealer just to be sure. I had to order mine separately for my GX335.
The kit comes with the 48" blade package.

To install the kit, you'll want to get the tractor up in the air so you can work underneath it comfortably. I made a stack of good solid 4x12 boards (cut to about 18" long) at each corner of my tractor and lifted the tractor up on them in steps to get about 8 inches of extra working space. More would have been nice, but I was able to get the job done with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The kit comes with the 48" blade package.

To install the kit, you'll want to get the tractor up in the air so you can work underneath it comfortably. I made a stack of good solid 4x12 boards (cut to about 18" long) at each corner of my tractor and lifted the tractor up on them in steps to get about 8 inches of extra working space. More would have been nice, but I was able to get the job done with that.
Sounds like something I would prefer my dealer doing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds like something I would prefer my dealer doing.
By doing things myself, I am sure that they get done right. In addition, I then know how the equipment works when it comes to troubleshooting problems. What I learn about the equipment sometimes lets me do mods that improve the equipment.

By doing the work myself, I also save my money for more important purchases. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts