My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have tilled up most of an acre that has always been extremely rough. today it was too hot to get out and really do anything until late this evening. well i walked in teh shop and there sat my X500 and right next to it the AgriFab disc. i decided to try it out since i have not used the disc behind the X500 yet. well, it did a great job!

i had been concerned about getting proper speed with the hydro since my other GT is a manual tranny. i figured out i could set the crsuie control, and then bring the throttle back to adjust my speed. that X500 had no problem pulling the 48" disc with 140# on it even AT IDLE! i had no extra weight on teh machine, and run turfs, though the deck was still on it. i did run it at about 1/3 throttle while discing the majority of it, but i had to see just how low i could throttle it before it had issues and it never did!

i went over most of the acre 2x, and it took less than an hour total.

all in all, i am very proud of my X500!:greendr:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU slkpk

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
That's probably not a good idea long term. The hydrostatis transmission has a fan on the input shaft along with the pulley that the drive belt connects to. The engine really needs to be running full throttle to spin the fan at the proper speed to cool the tranny properly. You can probably get away with it at a low throttle for a couple of minutes at a time, but you need to bring the engine back up to speed on a regular basis to get the air fowing over the trans to cool it off.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was stopping to check it, believe me! the hydro was just as cool to the touch as it normally is. i too believe in the run at WOT and adjust speed with teh pedal, but in this case i just could not get a good steady speed like that. it amazed me that the X500 acted like the disc was not even back there, even at idle!

i would never think of using my 12" plow at less than WOT, but for this case it was fine.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
As long as you're checking the temp and it remains cool, then go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts