My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked on JD's website and can't find what I'm looking for. I'd like to have a plug/baffle for my X500's 48" deck so I can grind up the leaves in my yard instead of just discharging them out the chute. Is there such a thing made for the X500's deck? My pushmower I purchased last spring came with a plug for the discharge chute and it works great for leaves, but I don't want to push mow my entire yard! I'd like to have something similar for the lawn tractor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm not looking for something that elaborate with new blades and all. I'm just looking for something to plug the discharge chute.......maybe there isn't such a thing for the X500's deck? I suppose one could be fashioned out of sheet metal if necessary but I'd rather be able to purchase one made to fit.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,430 Posts
The mulch plug for the X500 is part of the mulch kit... JD does not make an add on chute blocking plug for the X500. There is a chute blocking piece that goes on the outside of the chute, but it is for the 42" decks on the LA/D series. So I'm afraid it's make your own or buy the mulch kit. You won't get good results with the leaves if you just block the chute. I guess as a compromise go with the Gator or JD Predator blades.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks! That clears that up! I was just hoping there was a commercially made plug for the deck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
OK, thanks! That clears that up! I was just hoping there was a commercially made plug for the deck.
The JD mulch kit for the 48" deck supplied with the X500 works quite well. We never take it off. We mulch the grass all season long and mulch all of our leaves in the Fall as well.

It's surprising how close I can cut to things on the right side even with the mulching kit installed.

I totally removed the spring-loaded chute as well, and now it's easy to hop onto the tractor from either side when the deck is mounted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts