My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a mulch kit for the deck a while back and plan to install it today, not the blades as I run Gators just this massive plastic part that bolts on the underside.

Went looking for the owners manual but it's in a safe place that I can't remember, did a google search, ended up printing the manual from the Deere website.

I am curious, has anyone installed the Deere kit without removing the deck? Just seems like a lot of work to remove just to install this unit, I have car ramps although it doesn't make it all that high.

If I do remove the deck, does the belt for the most part stay in place on the deck or do you have to thread it again?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just took my 48" deck off my X320. It was pretty simple. The deck belt stays in place. It doesn't move at all. The drive belt just comes off the pulleys, no biggie getting it back on.

I took the deck off to change to Gator blades. It was a pretty straight forward job. The manual explains everything perfectly.

I don't have any experience with the mulch kit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the mulch kit for my x534. I've only installed it once, but I'm not sure if you could install it without removing the deck. You do have to take off the blades and you would have to elevate the tractor enough to slide the mulch kit under the deck. Seems like it might be more work than just removing the deck and installing it that way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the X500 with the 48" deck also. When you remove the deck the belt stays on the mower deck. The deck is not that hard to remove as long as you follow the procedure in the manual. One thing that makes deck removal easier is to allow the lift bars that are attached to the deck to raise back up out of the way when the pins are pulled. Turn the anti scalp wheels sideways and it pulls right out.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
just to give you an idea, my FIL talked me into jacking my L130 up to change otu teh blades once. i told him the deck comes right off, but he insisted it was quicker his way. it took close to an hour to change 1 blade. i then lowered it, popped the deck off, changed the other 2 blades, then put it back on in under 10 minutes! the X500 deck appears to come off just as easy.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to give you an idea, my FIL talked me into jacking my L130 up to change otu teh blades once. i told him the deck comes right off, but he insisted it was quicker his way. it took close to an hour to change 1 blade. i then lowered it, popped the deck off, changed the other 2 blades, then put it back on in under 10 minutes! the X500 deck appears to come off just as easy.
Thanks everyone, I am going out to remove the deck now, I was just worried mainly about the belt as it looked complicated but if it stays on the deck, we are good to go!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done, a lot easier than i thought, thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts