My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm working with my dealer today to trade my x300 with the trans out of it for a x500 and the dealer has them with 48" or 54" decks. My yard is mostly open not alot of trees and no gates but it is bumpy and a little uneven witch would work better? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would say that narrower is always a better cut, but I have a 54" and really think they do a great job. My one farm yard that I cut is far from level and I have no problems with the cut at all. It is quite a bit faster than a 48". The 54' lets you cut a tighter circle also, and is easier to get up close to something.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply do you think its worth a extra 200?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thank you for the reply do you think its worth a extra 200?
I think that depends on how much you're mowing. You will save some time with the 54" deck over 48" deck, especially if you're mowing a fairly large area (acre+). I estimate a reduction of 10-15% of my mowing time with the 54" vs the 48" (used to mow with on x320).

I don't notice a major difference in mowing quality between the two decks, and my yard is rough in places.

-Jay

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jay!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the 48...
It allows me to get into tighter spots and gives more seat time. It also is better for un-even ground. With that said, if I had a lot of acres to mow, I would have gone for the 54 just because you can get the deck further under a tree.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,985 Posts
Over the years I've moved on up to now I have a 62" deck on my x728. I mowed the same lawn for 15 years with a 54" deck on a 445. My lawn is mostly level, but my long driveway is kind of terraced into a hill side. I definitely had better luck with the 54" deck at not getting a step look when mowing. I love that the 62" deck reaches in under ornamental evergreens, and I am saving time mowing so that I can get on to other tractor assisted projects.

But, there is an optimum ratio between wheel track width and deck width. In the end, the narrower deck is easier to mow with, and easier to level. Or, more precisely, leveling your deck is even more critical as you step to a wider deck.

I'd go 54" and adjust my mowing speed and lap in troublesome areas so that I could take advantage of the width in the open areas.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got a 48" deck on my X540. I have more uneven ground that even with dips all over the place and the deck works out just fine. I also have spots were only the 48" will fit so I had no other option.

That being said, my 48 deck gives a fine cut so no complaints on my part.

·
Registered
403 Posts
get the 54" then next spring rent a roller to take care of the bumpy and a little uneven parts.
Dave

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Are you planning on adding the powerflow? The extra deck width makes your X500 a wider overall machine.
48" and powerflow here and it cuts the bomb!

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
In theory, the narrower deck will work best on uneven areas. Having said that, I have used 54" mowers on my JDs for years and I find them to be very good. They have a wide roller on the front and 4 guide wheels all of which help keeping it from scalping high areas.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would say yes it is worth the extra 200 bucks. I don't like the extra seat time, I have better things I can think of to do.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,417 Posts
Pick one (maybe the 54) and try it out... If you don't like the cut, return it for the 48 and save $200.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We ended up taking a X500 back with a 54" deck because the deck was so much wider than the tractors track width it was getting hung 3-4 times during each mowing of our yard. Get in a low spot and the deck would hold the rear wheel and or wheels up off the ground. Exchanged it for an X720 with a 54" and cured the problem completely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts