My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JD X585 owner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Does anyone know why Kawasaki put four holes in the top of its air filter covers on the engines used in the X7 and older X4/5 tractors? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the filter in the first place as the holes could allow dust and small debris directly into the engine air intake?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
No, and this was just covered recently. The center of the air cleaner, bottom, is where the air comes in. It's sealed to the air filter so the air comes through the center of the filter, and then in the edge from the outside, and down into the carb/throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Which engine is this? My X500 / Kawasaki doesn't seem to have any holes in it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Does anyone know why Kawasaki put four holes in the top of its air filter covers on the engines used in the X7 and older X4/5 tractors? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the filter in the first place as the holes could allow dust and small debris directly into the engine air intake?
A pic would help. Are you talking about the top cover or the base of the air filter. If the base, are the holes for the hold down screws

·
JD X585 owner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which engine is this? My X500 / Kawasaki doesn't seem to have any holes in it.
FD711 and FD750 on X485/x585/x700series - not the newer X5 series like yours

·
JD X585 owner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, and this was just covered recently. The center of the air cleaner, bottom, is where the air comes in. It's sealed to the air filter so the air comes through the center of the filter, and then in the edge from the outside, and down into the carb/throttle body.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A pic would help. Are you talking about the top cover or the base of the air filter. If the base, are the holes for the hold down screws
Thanks, Trent, I will take another look. Pips, I will add pictures, later.

·
JD X585 owner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, thanks to Trent, taking a closer look at how air filter and cover are laid out, I now understand the holes. The short is I think they are ventilation holes for the engine block area under the filter assembly. I'm inserting pics to illustrate.

This first pic shows the filter cover in place and inside the blue circle are four holes.

This second pic shows the filter has its own set of five holes in it highlighted by the blue circle.

The third pic shows the filter removed to better show the five breather holes.

Pic 4 shows the engine air intake area with the filter removed. The actual air intake is on the right inside the white rectangle. In the center inside the white circle, is the area Trent mentioned. It is sealed off by the rubber gasket. I had never given this much of a look and always just assumed (and we see how that panned out) that was intake like you see on a typical carbureted engine. Had I looked just a bit more closely and checked the engine diagrams in the manual, I would have realized the center is just the top of the engine block.

This last shot is just a closer view of the previous shot at a better angle, again highlighting the center area over the engine block versus the actual engine air intake on the right.

So, thanks Trent for getting me to take a closer looker and get a much better perspective and understanding of my air filter and intake system.

Reactions: MrX739
1 - 8 of 8 Posts