My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. My last discussion was to get input on whether to sell my 2004 X495 for an E170/180. Hands down the advice was to hang on the X495. So since I follow advice, and what my wife tells me to do, I decided to hang on to the 495, diesel. So now I wonder if there are issues with the 495 that should be addressed before they break me down? I've already replaced the water pump and cleaned the cooling system. The design of the vents on the side of the tractor is poor and they get clogged easily but that prevents more severe plugging. So I think cooling issues are ok.....I hope. I had the fuel filter fitting on the inlet side of the filter housing blow off so the filter housing has been replaced. The tie rod ends both separated so the tie rod assembly has been replaced. So lay it on me, any other issues I might consider addressing as time goes on? Thanks!!

·
motorcycle cowboy
807 Posts
Unless there's something that prevents the machine from operating properly or something is leaking, I'd just repair as needed.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Just mho these X diesels suck in some air thru the radiator, so not surprised how much grass is stopped by side shields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you guys agree that the 495 is better for the average homeowner to keep instead of the more basic E170? It seems the 495 has lots more things to go wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So do you guys agree that the 495 is better for the average homeowner to keep instead of the more basic E170? It seems the 495 has lots more things to go wrong.

Go with the 495

I'm really sitting here scratching my head and wondering why there's even a question. I don't want to start a (another?) war here, but I'd avoid anything that starts will D, L, or E

·
motorcycle cowboy
807 Posts
Well sure there's more things to go wrong with the 495, but that's no reason to trade down to the e170. Sounds like you are waffling on your decision to keep the 495. New machines are nice and all but I think you'll be better served with the 495.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That 495 is 100 times the tractor the E series lawn mowers pretend to be. End of subject.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw, I love the 495 and realize the quality over the E series. I'm just trying to save some $$ if I go with a snow blower over the blade that I have. In my previous discussion I got some great advice on using the blade so It's just a matter of technique since my previous tractor (Craftsman) had a blower and that is so easy. Ahh, if money grew on trees like the younger generation thinks.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Usually the smaller the tractor the more they beat you when you have a bumpy ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
Young generation here and if I had to pick between a 495 and any new Deere under a X7 I’d pick the 495 every single time because long term it will save you money and probably a bunch headaches. Heck I’d say the same thing about my 30 year old 332 Diesel compared to the lower end new stuff. I’m all about saving money where I can but I would never trade a a very nice piece of equipment on box store special. No offense box store machine owners.

And honestly don’t fix what ain’t broke learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Young Generation, no insult intended with my money tree comment. I'm just finding that fixed income ain't all it's cracked up to be. And you are right, quality is a thing of beauty no matter how old. Mine is 15 years old and I couldn't be happier with the tractor but problem is my blade for snow removal isn't working for me. Honestly it's probably operator error since I used to use a blower instead of a blade and a blade takes some real thought. And the Green store likes their snow blowers for sure....at $3500 a pop. Perhaps I should wait til Spring and then look for a used blowr but I don't know if they come available very often. Ahhh, life's quandaries!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
Hey Young Generation, no insult intended with my money tree comment. I'm just finding that fixed income ain't all it's cracked up to be. And you are right, quality is a thing of beauty no matter how old. Mine is 15 years old and I couldn't be happier with the tractor but problem is my blade for snow removal isn't working for me. Honestly it's probably operator error since I used to use a blower instead of a blade and a blade takes some real thought. And the Green store likes their snow blowers for sure....at $3500 a pop. Perhaps I should wait til Spring and then look for a used blowr but I don't know if they come available very often. Ahhh, life's quandaries!
No problem. I’m 18 and have had to work for the machines I have they weren’t just handed to me and it wasn’t easy, even if I got a good deal on the machine itself I still had to put a lot of money and time into it to make it right. I’m around the older generation a lot so I get the money tree comment quite often. Just keep it in mind that every generation has its share of people who work hard and those who are spoiled and have everything handed to them. I’ve had to work for most of the stuff I have but I consider myself to be very blessed.

Also do you use the float function on your blade?

Honestly I’d just keep practicing with the blade till you find a good deal on a blower they do come up for sale from time to time. A blade IMO is more versatile than a blower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. I’m 18 and have had to work for the machines I have they weren’t just handed to me and it wasn’t easy, even if I got a good deal on the machine itself I still had to put a lot of money and time into it to make it right. I’m around the older generation a lot so I get the money tree comment quite often. Just keep it in mind that every generation has its share of people who work hard and those who are spoiled and have everything handed to them. I’ve had to work for most of the stuff I have but I consider myself to be very blessed.

Also do you use the float function on your blade?

Honestly I’d just keep practicing with the blade till you find a good deal on a blower they do come up for sale from time to time. A blade IMO is more versatile than a blower.
Hmmm, float function? I'm not aware of that so a hard working guy like you can teach an old dog like me new tricks.

So not to bore you but I am used to a blower on an old Craftsman. It got rid of the snow as I drove along instead of bunching up and trying to push it. I turn the blade right and left to try to get the snow off to the side but even with only taking a half bite I get so much overflow on the blade that I have to make many passes. And I also agree that the blade seems to be versatile in things other than snow removal but I do wish I could find a blower.

Learning that you are 18 makes me have faith in the future. Keep up the good work and come to Colorado when you can. We need good folks like you!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
Hmmm, float function? I'm not aware of that so a hard working guy like you can teach an old dog like me new tricks.

So not to bore you but I am used to a blower on an old Craftsman. It got rid of the snow as I drove along instead of bunching up and trying to push it. I turn the blade right and left to try to get the snow off to the side but even with only taking a half bite I get so much overflow on the blade that I have to make many passes. And I also agree that the blade seems to be versatile in things other than snow removal but I do wish I could find a blower.

Learning that you are 18 makes me have faith in the future. Keep up the good work and come to Colorado when you can. We need good folks like you!
One of you hydraulic control lever should have a detent where if you push it past that point the lever will stay there this activates the float function on the blade or any other front hydraulic implement. Basically it allows the blade or whatever to float over uneven ground. You can also adjust your blades skids so it doesn’t dig in as much. The lever that operates the up and down function of your blade should be the one the detent basically operate the lever like you were gonna lower the blade but push the lever past the stop. It’s kinda hard to explain in writing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Blowers are pretty available in the Northeast. Maybe find one like this like new unit with quick hitch and drive shaft for $2K and see what he wants to strap it to a pallet and send it to you. I go back and forth on a blower but right now I'm sticking with the simple and easy to store blade. Maybe I'd feel differently if I didn't have 4WD.

When I first got my machine, I had issues with the cooling system as well. Since the cooling flush (on the maintenance schedule but probably not done by the PO) and a good thorough cleaning I haven't had any issues it. The screens need to be kept reasonably clear but it is pretty easy to do when you are cleaning the machine anyway. I think I cleaned the radiator and oil cooler twice this year and it really didn't need more than once.

I also agree with the sentiments above - other than the maintenance which should be done religiously, don't fix anything that isn't broken. Good luck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You should probably replace the transmission hydraulic fluid and filter unless documented by the PO.

These (K92) transmissions of this age tend to have annoying slow oil drip leaks at the shaft seals, and at some point you may need to pull it and replace all seals unless done by the PO. Once done it should be good for another 10+ years. There is a freely available manual for the transmission online, also some past threads in this forum on doing this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of you hydraulic control lever should have a detent where if you push it past that point the lever will stay there this activates the float function on the blade or any other front hydraulic implement. Basically it allows the blade or whatever to float over uneven ground. You can also adjust your blades skids so it doesn’t dig in as much. The lever that operates the up and down function of your blade should be the one the detent basically operate the lever like you were gonna lower the blade but push the lever past the stop. It’s kinda hard to explain in writing.
Yeah, I got you. I know the position you are talking about for the float but guess what....I thought that was an indication that the hydraulic levers were failing and caused concern. See, I can learn new things! Thanks for the lesson as it will greatly help when plowing the bottom of the drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should probably replace the transmission hydraulic fluid and filter unless documented by the PO.

These (K92) transmissions of this age tend to have annoying slow oil drip leaks at the shaft seals, and at some point you may need to pull it and replace all seals unless done by the PO. Once done it should be good for another 10+ years. There is a freely available manual for the transmission online, also some past threads in this forum on doing this.
I doubt the PO did this. And I will certainly do it soon. If I understand it right this is the only hydraulic reservoir so this is the hydraulic fluid used for the blade controls as well.

·
motorcycle cowboy
807 Posts
I doubt the PO did this. And I will certainly do it soon. If I understand it right this is the only hydraulic reservoir so this is the hydraulic fluid used for the blade controls as well.
Correct. When and if you add implements with hydraulic lines, keep an eye of the fluid level as those lines will draw down the level in the trans if they are not full.

·
Super Moderator
26,422 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts