My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The light stays on about 10 seconds, maybe just a bit shorter. It seems about right but I say that without any specifications to compare to.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
Thanks. I will do these tests. The tractor was a donor by my brother in law in Alabama and I am sure the glo plugs have never been used. .
On the X series diesels, the plugs come on every time the ignition switch is turned on to start the engine; there is no separate switch position to cycle or not cycle the glow plugs. It's done this way to insure plenty of heat to ignite the fuel for reliable and consistent starts regardless of the outside temperatures, as well as to control emissions at start-up. So, they probably could use a refresh. As stated, when you unscrew the old plug go slow and careful when you start to pull them out. If the tip is swollen, you'll feel it 'catch' in the threaded hole as you begin to remove it. They should come out, but you may need to VERY SLIGHTLY wiggle it as you pull, or slowly twist them, but under no circumstance do you force them out.

·
Premium Member
6,237 Posts
The engine in my x595 came from St Augustine Florida with only 400 hours and the glow plugs were shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
blinged out
1,171 Posts
So when you have changed them and have seen them swell have you had the issue of breaking off in the cylinder?
haven't seen them swell on a tractor,never had an issue with the 2 430's or Ford shibaura. have seen them swell so bad you can't get them out on trucks like 6.2/6.5. the 6.5 isn't one you want to pull the passenger head off [turbo side] because of impatience!
you ever change a water heater element burnt up, not something you want to drag out of the hole in an internal combustion engine!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Revisiting this topic, I am wondering how tough these glow plugs should be to unscrew. I put a regular 12mm box end wrench n it and the things didn't budge. I probably need to get a 12mm deep socket and use that but I am leery that I'll twist it off. Advice?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The few sets Ive done all required some encouragement with a deep socket. Most of them had the feel like they broke free before they turned if you know what I mean. I dont think any of them needed more than a good push with a reasonable size ratchet though.

·
blinged out
1,171 Posts
use a socket it will give a better twisting motion without side pressure! either way they need to come out at some point, giver!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts