My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

X485 with a new to me 47" Snowblower I'm using this season. I have tire chains and wheel weights also. Based on your experiences do I need anymore weight on the back?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It really depends on your situation. Most of the time I could get by with loaded tires, a heavy homemade wood cab, and no chains. Occasionally I added more weight on the rear to handle slick conditions. You can probably manage with the wheel weights and chains, but there will be wheel slippage. Chained wheel slippage on hard surfaces will result in scratches to the driveway surface. More weight will reduce wheel slippage. So it is up to you and the experience you want to have out in the cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d like to have a great experience! Any recommendations on weight and exactly what to buy?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This is what I have on my x485. Used for loader work.
Bracket was purchased from a seller on ebay and weights are from JD. I think it was approx $150.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I’d like to have a great experience! Any recommendations on weight and exactly what to buy?
If using suitcase weights, you will need a weight bracket and 6 weights. It is a bit of a balance between steering and traction when using rear weights. Too much rear weight can equal not enough traction. Not enough weight equals not enough traction. This is why suitcase weights are so nice. You can easily adjust the weight to find the sweet spot for your needs. The price is going to buckle your knees a little tho. Welcome to owning a John Deere!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the link to the eBay bracket? Is there an alternate case weight that is cheaper than JD?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you have the link to the eBay bracket? Is there an alternate case weight that is cheaper than JD?
This is the cheaper alternate bracket that I'm showing. The ebay seller is absolutemetalworks.
The JD bracket requires the BM20714 Click-N-Go bracket which drives the price up, almost twice as much.

·
21,841 Posts
I experienced wheel spinning only with aggressive drive use on my MF1655 with a 48" blower.

- Loaded tires (Rim Guard) - 280 lb

- Wheel weights - 80 lb

- 5' back blade (with 150 lb added weight) on the 3PH - 250 lb

- Tires - Carlisle Multi Trac C/S (Turfs)

- 2-link chains - 30 lb

Total added weight for traction - 640 lb

Good traction on glare ice and frozen asphalt, excellent traction on hard packed snow.

The back blade is a for countering the weight of the blower out front and was usually on the ground cleaning up when the blower was doing it's thing. Take off the back blade and traction did become slightly problematical when transporting the blower.

My heavier 4wd SCUT using the same tires without chains is slightly less potent than the 2wd GT with chains. It has no wheel weights and a lighter 5' back blade, but it can climb a 20° icy slope with a full bucket of heavily compacted wet snow and ice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$150 for the ebay bracket is not bad. But how much are the case weights? Is there a best and cheapest option?

If using suitcase weights, you will need a weight bracket and 6 weights. It is a bit of a balance between

steering and traction when using rear weights. Too much rear weight can equal not enough traction. Not enough weight equals not enough traction. This is why suitcase weights are so nice. You can easily adjust the weight to find the sweet spot for your needs. The price is going to buckle your knees a little tho. Welcome to owning a John Deere!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
$150 for the ebay bracket is not bad. But how much are the case weights? Is there a best and cheapest option?
-Used is the cheapest option at around $40-$50 each. Dealer and home depot or Lowes are also an option at $65 or so each. There are other options but shipping usually cuts into most of the savings.

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Blower needs less weight on the back then a plow does, you are just throwing the snow out of a blower, not pushing the weight of the snow.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Blower needs less weight on the back then a plow does, you are just throwing the snow out of a blower, not pushing the weight of the snow.
We just got 7 1/2" of heavy wet snow and pushing it with the blower was the only way to move it. It was so sticky it wouldn't even go into the blower. I had no problems pushing it with my gx345. In fact it was all uphill.
I have a cab, chains and 3 suitcase weights on it, but can add up to 5 if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
We just got 7 1/2" of heavy wet snow and pushing it with the blower was the only way to move it. It was so sticky it wouldn't even go into the blower. I had no problems pushing it with my gx345. In fact it was all uphill.
I have a cab, chains and 3 suitcase weights on it, but can add up to 5 if needed.
I'm confused as to which tractor has which attachment and which one couldn't blow wet snow ?

My 345 with flapper mod could move wet snow, no problem, just like shooting out snow cones...........heck it could even throw water puddles out the the blower spout.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was in your exact same boat last winter. X720 w/47" blower, wheel weights and Terra grips.

Traction was NOT a issue most of the time however it did happen. Needless to say I bought the JD weight bracket and 6 suit case weights from greenstore.com and used TTWT promo code for free shipping.

Already got to try it out a few weeks ago. Works awesome and no more slippage.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm confused as to which tractor has which attachment and which one couldn't blow wet snow ?

My 345 with flapper mod could move wet snow, no problem, just like shooting out snow cones...........heck it could even throw water puddles out the the blower spout.
X2.

While my X485/47 blower is a beast when it comes to moving deep snow and snow banks, my 345/3252 SS blower was better when working with wet snow or deep slush.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Not to get too far off topic, I wasn't saying anything was wrong with what you posted. The point I was making is regardless of which tractor you have, even with a blower sometimes you will need to push snow like a plow would, depending on what type of snow and weight is your best friend in those conditions.

Not sure why you were confused about what tractor I was referring to. If you go back and read my previous posts, I said which tractor and what it was used for.

I will say this, your flapper mod wouldn't make any difference with the last wet snowfall we had here. All I could do is push it because it would just bunch up in front of the machine. The auger never touched it. I've been doing this for a long time so I'm pretty sure I know how to use my equipment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey hey....calm down ? We’re just chatting about snow blowing ? What is the flapper mod anyway?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
As can be inferred from the previous posts in this thread, you will have enough traction until you don't. For 3 years I have had the pleasure of clearing snow with my X748 with wheel weights, 6 suitcase weights on the click-n-go bracket, 4WD w/HDAPs all around, NO chains and the model 47 blower up front. In that time I have never slipped or gotten stuck.

That said, I expect that someday I will come up against some more challenging conditions that will test my machine to it's limit. In the 35 years I have been clearing my 600' driveway, I have had one storm that I don't think even my X would like. It was the first storm of the year so there was no sand or treatment down, it sleeted, then rained, then froze to glare ice, then it snowed about a foot of heavy snow. My Craftsman/Berco combination wasn't useless, but it was a real challenge and took more than twice as long to clear as usual

1 - 18 of 18 Posts