My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a x485 from a individual who purchased through auction and was look to unload it. It needed a little TLC such as: new mower deck, ASW linkage, operators station plastic, a bushing and seal here and there but over all I though it was a good buy.

I have done most of the work myself but have hit as stumbling block after I discover that some one had jump across two wires on the PTO switch. I figured and hope that it might had just been the switch. The current switch was quite worn and could use replacing and for ~25 so,what the heck but, this wasn't the trouble. Also, I notice after reattaching the toggle switch and running it that the yellow PTO light is on during the operation of the mower deck. Is there a safety switch that is out of alignment.

Any other ideals?
Thanks

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
If your Mower deck is running, that means your PTO is engaged and so it sounds like it is working correctly, The True JD guys will be along that will know for sure.:trink40:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haddn't got much momentum so I figured I'd post a couple of pic's for eye candy to get a reply or two.

As seen in the pic to two stripped wires were jumped across with a toggle switch, which was mounted in the old plastic. They did a good job I didn't even know it wasn't factory since the pto button was wore off.

Does any body know what these two wires run to and what to do about trouble shooting this switch?

:thanku::thanku:

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Looks very close to the good ole RIO mod. When your mowing grass and you go into reverse does your mower deck stay on ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best I can remember I think it does but, they were jumping across those two wires omitting what I don't know. I traced the red stripped wire back to a box. (can be seen in pic. It's the one on the right that has the lead removed) Does anyone know what this controls?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
this thread is about legitimately fixing issues so PLEASE don't turn it into a "how to" on bypassing safeties. so far it is ok, but if it goes down that path we will shut it down quickly.

the relay is part of the safety system i believe. if it works, you don't want to mess with it since if you mess it up you will not be able to crank the machine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input (not trying to disable anything I'm trying to undo what someone's handy work). I took it off and it was rather dirty inside and attempted to clean it out. I'm waiting for the acetone to dry out before I hook it back up and try it again.

Ok, just started it back up after cleaning the relay and the PTO switch still won't engage. Is there any way to deremine if the relay is still good. Does anyone know where the blue wire runs to?

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
i would trace the wires from the toggle, they probably hacked them in somewhere and you may have to repair otehr wiring to get proper connections back to the original PTO switch. the wiring that was spliced together was to make the rest of the safeties work. if it worked the way they had it, then i doubt the relay is bad. but you should double check ALL grounds, as usually the switches have multiple grounds to them and a loose/disconnected one will stop things from working.

i don't have a wiring diagram for the X485, maybe someone here has one they can get to you or can at least look in and tell you exactly what each wire is and where it goes.

BTW, i was not singling out any person or post made prior to my previous post. it was a warning to all future posters not to go down that road, as these threads often do. confrontational and/or rude posts will get deleted the first time. the second time may result in further penalties. The OP is asking a valid question on how to bring his system back to how it SHOULD be and we support that fully.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
CenTex Guy I sent You a PM with some Help on the wiring diagram:thThumbsU

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, it appears that the wires in the harness are out of order that match up with the switch. I guess someone tried to eliminate the RIO and made a tangled mess.

I can trace a couple of the wires back to where there supposed to be but a couple of them I can't seem to trace due to being bound up with the harness.

Hook them up and pray or should I attempt to undo all the zip ties and hassle after all what ever damage could be done might have come from all this time being hooked up incorrectly?
Hind sight is 20/20 and I should probably go make sure all the leads are correct and same myself the money if I have any wrong.

Oh, by the way that relay is for the fuel injection and has nothing to do with safeties and the one beside it also has nothing to do with the safeties as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I have checked all the wires in the plug and they seem to be in order. Now I noticed that when I start the mower the ROI light comes on while i am cranking it, this isn't normal is it? I'm thinking it is the ROI after all. If itis where is this saftey device located? Also my parking light only comes on when i press the pedal all the way in.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Also my parking light only comes on when i press the pedal all the way in.
are you talking about the brake, if so sounds like a disconnected ground to me. the brake switch has a ground, and when you mash it then it is providing the missing ground for other circuits.

as to the RIO light, it could be related or it could be another issue. i don't have the schemats to see, so that is just a guess.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, dropped a whopping $12 for a new safety switch figuring that if it wasn't the RIO safety switch i could used to replace the brake switch that i just split in half at the seam (I'm gunna glue it back). It turns out it was the RIO switch was bad and not completeing the circuit.

I now have a working mower.

Now all I have to do is replace the bushings on the front axle and i'm done with the FIXING up for this mower.

:thThumbsU

1 - 16 of 16 Posts