My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad calls me up today and asks if I have time to come over to his house to look at a mower that he is thinking about getting. Dealer delivered 20 miles to his house for him to look at. Its a X485 and seems to be a lot like my 445 that I have just a newer style of tractor. I was wondering what kind of experience good or bad you have had with a X485 or what to look for.

I looked the tractor over pretty good and mowed with it it seems to do a nice job. I found a few minor things that the dealer could fix to make it a little better deal. But the only thing that worries me is it has a "whine" or "chirping" sound when the mower is reved up or when the deck is running any clues as to what this could be? The noise is more pronounced when the deck is engaged.

I told dad if the dealer could figure out what that noise is and if they would fix the minor things on the tractor I believe it would be a descent deal.

By the way the tractor has around 650 hours and the dealer is asking around $4500. This dealer is a very nice guy and has treated us real well, and always been honest with us.

One last note a lady owned the tractor before and all the sevice was done by the dealer. At what intervals I am not sure but its definately been shedded and is a clean tractor other than the normal wear seen on a used mower.

Any and all replies would greatly be appreciated as this is a big investment for my father and I would like to see him on a machine he can be proud of.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
That's basically the same as the new X720, just an older version (2005), and much the same as the 445. The 720 sells for a shade over $10K with a 54" deck, so $4500 sounds pretty good. That many hours comes out to around 125/yr, what I would consider about average.

I can't say about the "chirping" since that's a subjective description, but I'd try to localize it, eliminate the HST as the source, since that or the engine would be the two most expensive parts to fix.

I have a X748, but the HST and most of everything else but engine is practically the same. A very good tractor, I'm working the heck out of mine and it has yet to whimper.

How far did the "little old lady" drive this thing to church and back?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
That's a very good deal, IMO. Not sure about the whine or chirping sound, but if they can pinpoint it and get rid of it, that would close the deal for me. I looked at x400, x500 series back when I was shopping for GT. They are extremely well built and pricey, but worth it. I ended up with a 2210 which offers more utility, but for just a capable GT, these machines are top notch. The only drawback (for me, anyways) would be the 2 wheel drive, as opposed to 4WD.

·
Super Moderator
16,802 Posts
It may need Lube in the mower gear Box. My X485 is 6years old. It's my Primary machine it tills 10acres twice a year my Garden and several other Gardens and I use it for loader work as well. It basicly is a newer version of the 445. I think your father will be happy with it. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL I don't know for sure how far church was away but the tractor looks like it has been kept pretty nice other than sh must have had a very large bush and has scatched the tractor up pretty good a little buffing tonight in some areas and the scratches dissapeared.( Didn't want to do too much to it until its bought just wanted to make sure they would work out)

As for the sound its as loud as the blades or a little louder. The motor sounds good and healthy and the hydro is very snappy. No sluggish acting or noise when driving it around other than the normal whine a hydro makes. I don't believe it to be the gear box on the deck either. All the blades seem to be very tight and no wobble. It was seviced before they brought it to him. I just cant figure out what this sound is and was wondering if others have heard this same sound comeing from their machine. Its just one of those noises you hate to have or own if you don't have to. I guess if the dealer can't give us an answer then we will keep looking.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Does the chirping sound speed up and slow down with engine speed?

Look at the rubber isolator at the end of the crankshaft, where the driveshaft bolts up. Is it in good shape with tight bolts? How about the water pump and alternator? Are the U-joints in the driveshaft dry? How about the joints in the deck driveshaft?

Take the tension off the deck belt and spin the spindles by hand. Do they turn freely and can you feel any roughness that would indicate a bad bearing?
Anything else, I can't think of unless it's something in the HST. Or maybe there's some part a bit loose that is making a "squeak" in time with engine rpms.

Did the dealer offer any reason why the little old lady traded this in? Was she tired of a convertible?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the fast responces.

I guess I should have mentioned that the noise sounds like it is comeing from the muffler when we rev it up not a loose rattle sound just a sound that I mentioned earlier. The only difference is that when the deck is engaged its a constant noise. We covered the exhaust up for a quick test while we reved it up and the noise was gone.

Please keep the responses comeing no matter how silly, as I know that I will be takeing time out this weekend to take a closer look at it.

Again thanks for all the feed back as I will start a list and go over this unit with a fine tooth comb. As said before if we feel too uncomfortable with this we will pass on it and let the dealer find us another one. He's a great guy and is always looking to please his customers.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
There's a bird inside the muffler!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Might be the water pump or loose belts with a chirping sound? slkpk

·
Registered
183 Posts
On my X475 the mower gear box whines while mowing. I asked about it when I bought it and was told that some gear boxes are noisier than others. The lube level is good and I've put around 300 hours on it and it seems to be the same whine sound as when I bought it.

As far as the chirping sound is concerned, I would say the muffler probably has a loose or broken baffle since you say that it seems to go away when you cover the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It may be a loose baffle inside the muffler - rattling. When the engine works hard (while turning the mower for example), there is more exhaust and a bit more vibration as the engine works - causing a steady rattle. When it's lightly loaded, the baffle may move but not bump against anything else, thus not rattling.

Ask the dealer to put on a new muffler just to try it for 30 seconds - if it doesn't do it, you can put the old one back on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My dad has the x485 with a 62 inch deck and it is more quiet than my x360. He has never had any problems with it and cuts around 10 acres every week. Sounds like a good deal.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
On my X475 the mower gear box whines while mowing. I asked about it when I bought it and was told that some gear boxes are noisier than others. The lube level is good and I've put around 300 hours on it and it seems to be the same whine sound as when I bought it.

As far as the chirping sound is concerned, I would say the muffler probably has a loose or broken baffle since you say that it seems to go away when you cover the exhaust.
Do you have a 2002 model X475. Deere developed a noise isolation kit for gearbox noise, back on 2003.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the ideas looks like I will have a lot to check this weekend. As said before keep them ideas comeing. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
but the tractor looks like it has been kept pretty nice other than sh must have had a very large bush and has scatched the tractor up pretty good a little buffing tonight in some areas and the scratches dissapeared.
Hi JD2030 ,

Is she a NUDIST ...:ROF :ROF :ROF , :sorry1:

Later,x595

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a 2002 model X475. Deere developed a noise isolation kit for gearbox noise, back on 2003.
I have a X595 with the 62C deck and it does make a whining noise. I mow with the throttle wide open. I've going on 1,000 hours with no problems with the mower deck. Saleen is correct about the noise isolation kit for the gear box as some owners where complaing about the noise but it doesn't bother me as I have a radio on my tractor that I use headphones to listen to. Some say you shouldn't use headphones as you can't hear the tractor running should there be a problem but I can still hear the tractor running and have noticed several times when something does sound right even with the headphones on. The X-series or a very fine tractor and you should be happy with it. I had a 445 before the X595 and my main concern was that I was completely happy with the 445 and told my dealer that I did not want to be disappointed and he said I wouldn't and he was right. Every thing that I wished was just a little bit better on the 445 and corrected on the X595 and I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps as I can"t say enough go things about the X595 and I think it would be true of all the X-series.

Curt.

P.S.: My only complaint with the X595 is the fuel gauge which was a problem with my 445. It moves all over the place and others have complained of the same problem but for some reason John Deere hasn't be able to correct it.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
P.S.: My only complaint with the X595 is the fuel gauge which was a problem with my 445. It moves all over the place and others have complained of the same problem but for some reason John Deere hasn't be able to correct it.
I have the same 'problem' with the X748. It's a nuisance, but nothing I'd trade the thing in for. I think it's because the fuel tank has so many nooks and corners that once the fuel level drops below about 3/4 full, the gauge sensor doesn't always get an accurate reading. Mine tends to even out after I've been running for a little while, but it will show more than half full even once I get to less than 1/3 tank or so. I refill mine fairly frequently and base it on how many times I've mowed. It was showing 1/2 tank once and I put five gallons in it (6-1/2 gallon tank)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the replies its a little more comforting in a weired way to know that the whining noise is probably comeing from the gear box which souds like it is a common problem with these mowers. I will unhook the deck this weekend and engage the PTO and see if this is the actual source of the whine. But if it is still whining I will know its a bearing trying to go out of the rearend. Which if that is the case and the dealer will fix it, it should still be a good deal. He told Dad that he would give him a 30 day warranty if he bought it, not much but better than nothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JD2030 - I bought a new 445 nine years ago. From day 1, it had an unusual engine sound. I worried about it at first and came to realize that a lot of the throttle body fuel injected Kawasaki engines sounded like mine. I now have 440 hours on it with no problems. A few years ago, a neighbor bought a X485 and he went through the same worry until he listened to mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts