My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the capacity of the 3pt on an X485 was? I was looking at renting a 40" or 50" rear grass seeder and was wondering if it can handle it? it will spend the majority of the time on the ground since my yard is big and open. I currently have a 48" XB KingCutter box blade that weight approx 295 lbs and it does alright with it unless I am raised up trying to maneuver on a steep hill by my house. I was looking at adding some weight to the front of it for the blade, but not sure how much I can do.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's sketchy whether it will lift such an implement. That's one of the caveats of the "limited" CAT 1 - limited lift height and weight. I've seen them struggle with commercial plug aerators.

The big thing is how far the weight is from the arms. If it's coupled close, you may be OK. But if weight is pretty far back, it will make it a lot tougher to lift.

Perhaps you can take your tractor on a trailer and try to hook to it there. If it lifts it, rock on. Don't forget to factor in the weight of the seed.

·
Super Moderator
16,526 Posts
The spec's on it are 450Lbs But you can use it to lift a LX4ft rotary cutter which is mostly use with a 2305 or above. I put 4 suitcase weights on my rear Blade the weights sit at the front of the Blade between the 3point arms.:thThumbsU

·
Me want bigger tractor
71 Posts
What determines the lifting capacity of the 3pt? The hydraulic pressure? I read in another forum that someone was able to shim the relief valve to boost the hydraulic pressure a little bit for a loader. I am not condoning or recommending that, but just asking for academic knowledge.

--John

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What determines the lifting capacity of the 3pt? The hydraulic pressure? I read in another forum that someone was able to shim the relief valve to boost the hydraulic pressure a little bit for a loader. I am not condoning or recommending that, but just asking for academic knowledge.

--John
Yeah, the pressure will dictate what you can lift. If you check the pressure and you're below spec, then shimming to get to that max will give you your maximum lift capacity. Obviously you wouldn't want to shim the valve so that pressures are above the spec as that could damage other components in the system.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I was pulling fence posts with the 3 point on my 445, on several of them it lifted the front of the tractor off of the ground. I haven't tried anything like that with my x748....yet.

·
Me want bigger tractor
71 Posts
Andyb,
How do the 455 and 748 compare for that type of work? I am currently trying to decide between a 455 and x495 to replace my x540, and will want to use a scoop on the 3 point to start with, then add a loader and backhoe down the road. Is one machine any more capable or strong/sturdy than the other?

--John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, the pressure will dictate what you can lift. If you check the pressure and you're below spec, then shimming to get to that max will give you your maximum lift capacity. Obviously you wouldn't want to shim the valve so that pressures are above the spec as that could damage other components in the system.
I don't necessarily agree personally, I don't feel that the pressure specification on say a 445 was due to the hydraulic system capacity or ability but instead based on avoiding potential litigation and the ability for the 445 to potentially roll over if not used properly.

Regards,

Rich

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Andyb,
How do the 455 and 748 compare for that type of work? I am currently trying to decide between a 455 and x495 to replace my x540, and will want to use a scoop on the 3 point to start with, then add a loader and backhoe down the road. Is one machine any more capable or strong/sturdy than the other?

--John
I haven't done much with the x748 besides mow and spread some gravel with the front blade, so I can't give you a good answer. I would guess the capabilities of the 455 and the x495 would be very similar. I believe the biggest difference is the weight, the x495 is a good bit heavier than the 445.

·
Me want bigger tractor
71 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. I wish that information was easier to find on John Deere's website, but their site is horrid for that type of thing. :Disgus:

--John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts