My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding on these 2 models. Found a used well maintained 1 owner 475 with 700 hrs. bar tires with fliud in rears with MC19 cart. Is it considered heavier duty than the X540? Are drivetrains and motors better in 1 than the other? How much life (engine, trans) could I expect from the 2. I have a L130 now with 780 hrs. on it still going good. Need some advice please.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
... Is it considered heavier duty than the X540? Are drivetrains and motors better in 1 than the other?
Yes and Yes.

The X475 is equivalent of today's X700, from JD's heaviest duty line of GTs.

The Kawasaki engines are pretty close in both the X475 and X540, but it's the tranny that distinguishes them. The X475 can be equipped with a Ltd Cat 1 3PH, and uses a very heavy duty TuffTorq K92 ground engaging transmission that can have a rear pto fitted as well.

On the X475, all the ptos are shaft driven, instead of belts (X540).

The X475 can also take an OEM front-end-loader, because it is equipped with on-board hydraulics. The same hydraulics can be used for snowblowers, front rotary brooms, etc. It's a very capable machine.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
heavier duty than the 540, yes!

I say if maintained properly 2500+ hours till rebuild!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
x475 all the way. Quite a difference when you put the 2 tractors side by side. Good luck with your future purchase. :fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Go with the x475 and smile every time you get on it for years to come. slkpk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If its grass only the 540 is probably easier handling than the heavier 475. If you plan on working it like a tractor go with the 475.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW!! Didn't expect this many responses this quick. THANKS everyone. I live in the rural area mowing 2 acres which includes the side of a bridge embankment which is fairly steep and a ditch at the bottom. Also now have a 1700lb. roller to pull instead of my 900lb agri fab which killed the K46 in my L130 after sevral years of pulling. Forgot to mention it has a 48" deck. any problems with that deck on such a HD tractor?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
... Forgot to mention it has a 48" deck. any problems with that deck on such a HD tractor?
I haven't heard of any problems with the 48" deck. The 48" deck is essentially the same width as the X475 (which is about 46-47" wide.) It seems most folks prefer the larger 54" and 62" versions, because they can trim closer to edges, etc. You could always watch for a larger deck if you needed it, and there are sometimes folks with gate issues looking for the smaller 48" deck.

But as far as it not being heavy-duty enough, I wouldn't worry about it. It's designed as a shaft-drive deck and to work with these machines just fine.

Also, when I said earlier that the X475 is the equivalent of today's X700, I should have been more clear. What happened was JD changed their numbering system for these tractors, and re-named them the X700 Series. So the X475 isn't so much the "equivalent", it really is an X700, just going by the old name.*

Hopefully Sergeant will come along soon and show you some pictures of his X485 with the front-end-loader.

*There are lots of other versions of these: X465, X475, X485, X495 (all 2WD). Then there are the X575, X585, X595 (all 4WD). The X495 and X595 have diesel engines. So you can watch the classified ads for these models as well if you are trying to shop around. Take a look at this chart that fellow MTF member POENY made to help folks decipher the models: X700 Series Family Tree

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Well I say the X475 will be fine I have Run a 48inch deck on my X485 for 8 almost 9 years and UT ask and You shall receive

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Well I say the X475 will be fine I have Run a 48inch deck on my X485 for 8 almost 9 years and UT ask and You shall receive ...
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!! :)

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Get the X475! I love my X5xx series, but with a steep bank you'll love the extra sure-footedness of the X475 over the X540. Also if the roller is 1700 lbs, you're going to need the X475 and you're going to need to add some weight to it to even things out a bit with such a heavy load. The 48" deck on my X500 cuts great so no worries there, although you might look for a larger one to speed up the 2 acres.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for replies, esp. Sergeant for the nice pics of 48" deck mounted up. The asking price for this X475 is $4000 with bar tires, MC19 collection system and 700 hrs. This seem reasonable? I would also be driving about 4 hrs. 1 way to get it. The collection system is really drawing me to it since my yard and mother in-laws has a lot of leaf work.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Thats well worth it with the MC519 Power flow system:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
IMO thats a good price for the setup. Make sure you get us lots of pics of it. slkpk

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
That's a great price! You'll love the X475. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts