My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New here. I just got an X475 AWS at 450 hrs with a 62C Deck and a snowblower. I love this little thing. I am now interested in getting a tiller so I can do some restoration / invasives control. I see that a 42" huydraulic tiller model(s) M04390X/M04391X were compatible with it. This model tiller seems to have been compatible with a wide range of machines according to tractorData.com.

Now, there is a John Deere 42" hydraulic tiller for sale near me. But, the serial number is 1M042HTUCEM020018 - those numbers do not look M04390x... The tiller was used on an X585 and tractorData.com says that the X585 was compatible with M04390X/M04391X. So, my questions:
-Is this serial number the M04390x?
-If no, if this tiller is compatible with the X585 and the X585 was compatible with the M04390x, and the X475 was compatible with the M04390x, is it safe to assume that whatever this tiller is, will likely compatible with the X475?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had been on the JD website and didn't come across this. Mystery solved. Now to negotiate the price...

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
Thanks, I had been on the JD website and didn't come across this. Mystery solved. Now to negotiate the price...
BTW I didn't notice that you were a new member, so welcome to MTF! There is a lot of information available here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! Negotiating JD's online sites takes a bit of practice but they really have most everything up electronically that you need now to include Operator Manuals (free for download) and Technical and Parts Manuals (these do cost money). The Online Parts site is a tremendous help to anyone with a JD machine. Here is some MTF site navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so let me ask another question then. The one I am looking at looks to be in fairly new condition, says it was only used to till 2 acres once (which is a lot of tilling) and they want $2K for it (Tiller + PTO shaft). It looks like maybe these are ~$4,000 new? Is $2K a reasonable price? What is a reasonable price?

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
I would say a reasonable price would be $1,500. Here is the condition that mine was in and I only paid $1,000 from my dealer for it used: (no shaft on this one though)

·
Super Moderator
17,299 Posts
I would say a reasonable price would be $1,500. Here is the condition that mine was in and I only paid $1,000 from my dealer for it used: (no shaft on this one though)

View attachment 2507289
Keep in mind PA318 His Tiller is set Up a Bit different it is Not Belt driven Like You tiller It is shaft driven. Back In 2004 I paid $2,600 for a new 42inch Hydraulic tiller electricquad But Yeah they are a lot Higher today The drive shaft alone New for it Is close to $400 today It was $260 In 2004 I never Bought the drive shaft I Just Borrowed it from either the 48c deck on My X485 or 54C deck On My X748

BTW electricquad you also need to buy two hose brackets for the tiller as well They Hold the Hoses up out of the dirt from the Mid PTO Pump to the Hydraulic tiller If You Have the Click & Go Brackets on then You will only need one hose Bracket the Click n GO Release lever on the rear right side can double for the Bracket (y)

·
Registered
841 Posts
“Reasonable “ is relative. Depends on location and how bad you want it. I suspect if you are patient you can do better, but it could take some time.

I hold the hoses up with bungees since mine didn’t come with brackets.

The 42 tiller is great. You will love using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was waiting for that response @turboaudi80 . It is the only right response to such a question... supply and demand being what they are. It is 3.5 hrs away - pretty close in my book. He has been trying to sell it for at least 10 weeks so I may be able to talk him down to $1500.

·
Super Moderator
17,299 Posts
“Reasonable “ is relative. Depends on location and how bad you want it. I suspect if you are patient you can do better, but it could take some time.

I hold the hoses up with bungees since mine didn’t come with brackets.

The 42 tiller is great. You will love using it.

Take it You didn't Buy It new from the dealer as it come with the Brackets new
The Bracket is M133406 $31.70 a Bracket Plus 19M7785 Bolt and 14M7296 Flange nut Both Brackets are the same Part number (y)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I scored mine on eBay. It was barely used and I got it for $550 including CAT 1 arms. And the bonus was it was only 20 minutes from my house. I remember when I got it, another forum member said he was bidding against me at the beginning but stopped because he was 10 hours away.

I consider mine an extraordinary deal, but I have seen them a number of time listed in the $1k range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts