My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't feel to good going across hills. Would adding weight to rear or front make a difference?

·
Registered
398 Posts
How steep is the hill?
How not good and compared to what?

The X384 is 4-wheel steer. They are VERY responsive. You just need to think where you want to go and they go there and/or beyond. Most people are not used to the feel of the rear turning. On a hill, that can be disconcerting, since it can feel like the rear is slipping.

I have an X534 and I have a bit of a hill that I have to mow across. It is almost 20 degrees at the steepest and 10-15 degrees over the rest. I have to lean to stay in the seat, but I have mowed it both with an X300 and the X534. The feel is different, but I am okay with it.

I have lug tires that are filled on the X300, but the X534 has the standard turf tires on it.

·
21,713 Posts
Adding weight to the rear tires will benefit lateral stability. Either liquid ballast or wheel weights will result in lowering the center of gravity. Weight added to the rear of the tractor's frame is generally neutral or raises the center of gravity.

Adding weight to the front tires or the front of the tractor will help with steering traction, but not lateral stability. The front axle pivots and before the high side tire lifts off the ground, it will already be too late to prevent a rollover.

·
Blank Space
3,013 Posts
The steepness of the hill and the width of the machine will be more significant factors than weight. They will determine whether it's safe to mow crossways or not. Even if you normally feel safe, a single unexpected low spot due to a critter hole or washout can ruin your day in a flash.

When in doubt, mow up and down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts