My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere X380
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the stock tires on my X380 with HDAP or something else aggressive. The stocks with chains isn't working for me with the snowblower attachment.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If the turf tires with chains aren't working then it is unlikely that HDAP tires will solve the issue. Perhaps you need more weight. Do you have tire weights or weights on the back of the X380?

·
Registered
John Deere X380
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the turf tires with chains aren't working then it is unlikely that HDAP tires will solve the issue. Perhaps you need more weight. Do you have tire weights or weights on the back of the X380?
I have weights on the back. Also getting a chain tensioner for the tire chains as they're a little loose

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
you're also fighting an uphill battle with lack of diff-lock... if snow removal is not working regardless of chains and weights, then perhaps a machine upgrade is necessary?...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I have an X500 with 48" blade. I plow uphill and have the HDAPs and no chains. At 195, I am the only added weight. They do a good job so far but I do use the diff lock from time to time for that last bit of hill top when the snow is wet or a heavy load is on the blade. I have a herringbone plowing pattern for when it is really wet and heavy or very deep.
By the way, in summer the HDAPs have not been a problem for the turf either.

·
Registered
JD X540
221 Posts
Perhaps a bit more information regarding your application......slope, pavement or gravel, ice /snow conditions etc. will allow for better ideas for you.
As others have said HDAPs may not make much difference.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
The stocks with chains isn't working for me with the snowblower attachment.
What exactly is not working?
What is your property like?
How steep are the areas where you are having issues?

There are some here who swear by turfs, chains, and weight. But, that requires LOTS of weight, probably much more than you currently have. I think the X300 series recommends only 2 42lb rear weights. You will need to supplement that with wheel weights and probably loaded tires. This is assuming that traction of the rears is the issue you are seeing.

The problem with the X300 series is it has no diff-lock, so the tire with the least traction is the one that limits the motion. I think the X300 makes an excellent mower, but I don't think it is the best for traction challenging locations or tasks. The X500 series gets you diff-lock, plus more base weight and the ability to add even more weight. That would help a lot. The X700 series gets even more base weight and capacity. It is also available with AWD.

My X749 really impressed me with its capabilities in light powdery snow with a blade. Based on my testing in 5-7", I would estimate it would have still been unstoppable with at least double the amount. However, the next week, when conditions and the snow were very different (heavy and wet), it too was traction challenged. I had to modify my technique significantly in order to complete the job. This was more in line with what I was expecting. Having driven 4WD and AWD vehicles of different sizes in different conditions over several decades, it comes down to understanding the capabilities of the machine you have and how much you can improve it with certain changes. I don't believe HDAPs will be the change you want.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
This last snow was only about 2-3 inches. First thing in the morning I took a trip down the driveway. First thing I noticed was water running down the drive under the snow. It was 29 degrees. I had no intension of blowing going back up. I was going to go up the path I had just made, turn around, and come back down. It could not have taken me 30 seconds to swing a U-Turn, raise the blower and head back up the drive. With 400 pounds ballast I made it half way and started spinning and sliding backward. The water running down the drive had froze solid as soon as the air hit it. Threw a couple hands full of salt down the clear path. Right up the hill no problem. Ice and hill is hard. I tore up my new drive last year with 200 pounds ballast and chains. I might get a salt spreader for going down hill, see how that works.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I guess I never had expectations that my 48" blade X500 would push anything nature tossed at it. I've always modified my plowing to suit the situation. Light snows, sure, plow straight ahead, uphill, HDAPs no chains and no problems. 360 feet of drive plus garage apron area done in 20 minutes.

Heavy or deep snows require a different tactic. Small sweeps to sides alternating one side to the other as I move up the drive.. Real heavy or wet, can only take half a blade width. When big snows are in progress, I plow a couple times just to stay ahead of the game a little. Sure it takes longer but I'm getting the job done with the machine I have.

Reactions: Sergeant
1 - 10 of 10 Posts