My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've been lurking for the past month or so, and want to thank everyone for all the information I have learned. You guys are great!

My wife and I recently moved from an apartment to a house on a 0.4 acre lot, and are looking to buy a mower. Our budget is around $3k. Our lots is fairly flat, but has a small (~3 ft drop) ridge that is probably a 20-25% slope. There are a few small trees.

My dad works part-time as a delivery driver at a John Deere dealership, so he has been keeping an eye on the used inventory they have in-stock. Recently, they got an 2013 X360 with 420 hours on it and a 48 inch deck. They are asking $2,995 for it, but my dad should be able to get a discount.

If I were to buy a new mower, it would most likely be an X330 with a 42 inch deck ($2,999). Currently, John Deere has a promotion for $300 off the X330, plus my dad may be able to get a small discount.

I would only use the tractor for mowing, plus maybe pulling a light wagon with garden supplies.

My question is whether I would be better off getting the X360, which is the better mower, or the X330, which would have the warranty plus fewer hours.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Obviously the X360 is better tractor, bigger better engine and stronger tranny. 3k for a 6 year old X360 with 420 hours, is way too much money, sounds like a dealers starting point. I’d try to get it down fewer than 2300 bucks. For instance two years ago I bought a 2012 X310( K58 tranny) with 55 hours on it for 2K. I’d pay max of 2500 if tractor has solid maintenance record and in impeccable condition

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just for perspective, my lot is double the size of yours and I cut it with a GX345 with a 48" deck. I cut 20 - 25 times a season and put 10 - 15 hours on my tractor per year cutting grass. A 3-foot drop is a non-issue.

Either tractor will last you a lifetime on that yard.

As a side note, demand for tractors has pretty much dried up this time of year the Denver area. If it were me, I'd probably offer $2k (assumes solid maintenance record) for the X360 and buy the X330 if they say no the offer. Of course, that assumes you don't have a gate that precludes the 48" deck.

Keep in mind, you will be doing more maintenance on the X360 with those hours - things like belts, spindle bearings, idler pulleys, etc.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'll throw out another option if you go new. I'd go up to $3,299 for the 42-inch X350 in order to get the Kawasaki engine. The $300 cash back offer applies to all X300's right now.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
X360 all the way, X370 new if you can get a good discount, better engines, better trannys, and you'll love the power steering and lift. PS: the wife will like it so much you may just be Mr. Maintenance Man!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I didn't want to spend too much of someone else's money, but I'd second the thought of the X370 on the new side. But now we're 25% over the original budget. See what dad can do - it's toward the end of the mowing season.

Power steering is something that sounds like total overkill until you have it, and then you realize what a wonderful thing it is. Plus, the X300's with power steering also have bigger trans that's user serviceable (you can drain/fill the fluid without removing the trans from the tractor).

The X360 is still more tractor though. When the X300 series got a little redesign in 2016, the X360 changed names to what's now the X390. The 2016 design change put in a new instrument cluster, changed the "dashboard" controls a little bit, and introduced the current Accel Deep decks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. I did some measuring on my property, and I think a 42-inch deck will be best.

In regards to the X350, is the Kawasaki engine worth $300? For my application, will I notice a difference?

I will also keep my eyes out for an used X370 with low hours.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
No for your application, not that big a difference and if you want the Kawasaki engine- look at the S240-- another very good option for you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts