My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Im debating bringing my x354 back with 3 hours on it and trading up.

Issue is, I don't need anything even as big as the X354 except for the ability to tow a trailer or two from the rear yard to the driveway.
One of the trailers is a dual axle and weighs about 2,000 lbs empty.
The other I "could" move by hand, but know I would feel it the next day.

Im on 100% flat ground, and the heavy trailer needs only to be moved 10' through a double gated fence to the rear of my driveway.
I expect total pull time to be less than 3-5 min at most.

Now, i know about the K46 issue....
I see JD sells the X584 with AWS and it comes with the K72.
Wondering if locating a used but not abused K72 might be an option.

Also learned that the X3xx uses the same frame as the X5xx, but has a different hitch plate.
Aside from 1" axle (New rims) imagine this may be my best path, but since I have been wrong
probably 50 times today, figure I should ask the fine folks here if what Im thinking about even makes sense..

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I would suggest maybe getting a zero turn or tractor that can do the mowing, or stay with your current unit, and make a little dolly to move the trailers around (say, a hitch ball on a little pyramid, with 3 or 4 offroad caster wheels, with 2 arms attaching the dolly to your unit (so the dolly stays in the same place behind the tractor, makes backing up easier), so the tractor is only responsible for moving/stopping the trailer, not carrying any weight of the trailer.

Or just buy/build a motorized trailer dolly (like this one: https://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/)

Either solution will be cheaper and about the same or better than buying a bigger tractor just to move trailers around every once in awhile...

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you decide to do the upgrade do it before your 30d promise is up. You'll take a huge loss upgrading done after. You never know what your future may hold never hurts to have a little more tractor than what you may need many here buy 1 step up from what they need just for some future proofing.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What kind of tongue weight are you talking on the big trailer?

I moved my 2,000# 18' equipment trailer with an ATV and it really made the rear end squat and you could feel it in low range. The X758 moves the trailer quite easily but that may be a bigger step up than you are willing to go?:tango_face_devil:

·
Super Moderator
15,920 Posts
So, Im debating bringing my x354 back with 3 hours on it and trading up.

Issue is, I don't need anything even as big as the X354 except for the ability to tow a trailer or two from the rear yard to the driveway.
One of the trailers is a dual axle and weighs about 2,000 lbs empty.
The other I "could" move by hand, but know I would feel it the next day.

Im on 100% flat ground, and the heavy trailer needs only to be moved 10' through a double gated fence to the rear of my driveway.
I expect total pull time to be less than 3-5 min at most.

Now, i know about the K46 issue....
I see JD sells the X584 with AWS and it comes with the K72.
Wondering if locating a used but not abused K72 might be an option.

Also learned that the X3xx uses the same frame as the X5xx, but has a different hitch plate.
Aside from 1" axle (New rims) imagine this may be my best path, but since I have been wrong
probably 50 times today, figure I should ask the fine folks here if what Im thinking about even makes sense..
What state are You Located In?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you decide to do the upgrade do it before your 30d promise is up. You'll take a huge loss upgrading done after. You never know what your future may hold never hurts to have a little more tractor than what you may need many here buy 1 step up from what they need just for some future proofing.
Im gonna call them today, was never told about a 30d promise, go figure!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of tongue weight are you talking on the big trailer?

I moved my 2,000# 18' equipment trailer with an ATV and it really made the rear end squat and you could feel it in low range. The X758 moves the trailer quite easily but that may be a bigger step up than you are willing to go?
Toung i believe is 200 lbs or so, unloaded of course... and that step up is near 4k more! Willing to go half of that, but for 4 k, id rather wreck the rear lawn driving my pickup back there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suggest maybe getting a zero turn or tractor that can do the mowing, or stay with your current unit, and make a little dolly to move the trailers around (say, a hitch ball on a little pyramid, with 3 or 4 offroad caster wheels, with 2 arms attaching the dolly to your unit (so the dolly stays in the same place behind the tractor, makes backing up easier), so the tractor is only responsible for moving/stopping the trailer, not carrying any weight of the trailer.

Or just buy/build a motorized trailer dolly (like this one: https://www.proud-canadian.com/diy-power-trailer-dolly/)

Either solution will be cheaper and about the same or better than buying a bigger tractor just to move trailers around every once in awhile...
I actually thought about that a year ago, but couldn't find anything that I thought was a worthwhile endeavor. I will revist this and the links you provided.. one plus to the upgrade, we plan on selling for a more rural location in a few years, kinda killing two birds now by upping its pulling

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Toung i believe is 200 lbs or so, unloaded of course... and that step up is near 4k more! Willing to go half of that, but for 4 k, id rather wreck the rear lawn driving my pickup back there!
You apparently haven't price X758's.:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You apparently haven't price X758's.:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh
I could imagine!
I was looking at the X5xx's online,
Had I not sprung for a toy or two last year (For my son), and had I not spent buku smakaroo's for two trips to the hospital 3 months ago,
Id either be dead or able to write the **** check without caring....
I guess both ways I wouldn't care, but I know I had the best hand to be delt there was. :tango_face_smile_bi

·
JD X585 owner
531 Posts
Ghoops, how often are you moving the trailers and how soft is the ground in your back yard? I don't think using your truck is going to cause any harm to your lawn if you are occasionally driving back there. We take our truck into our backyard to move wood a few times a year and there is no harm done.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down. It wouldn't be that expensive especially if you made tire strips instead of solid pavers. Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down. It wouldn't be that expensive especially if you made tire strips instead of solid pavers. Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.
Yeah I was thinking this too; or gravel. I cut in a drive back to my barn and park my trailer back there.

Then you have top soil for other things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are only talking about 10 to 20 feet of grass to get to the trailer, why not go to Home Depot and get some of their pavers and put them down......Almost any small tractor could put that trailer on hard pavement.
Because Im particular, lol.. I like the enclosed trailer doors facing my bedroom window so if I hear anything at night i can see them clearly, that means pulling in the yard a ways and backing the trailer to within 6'-8' of the fence next to the double gates.
The gates can swing wide open, i still have 10 plus feet of opening, to say pull the smaller trailer in or out as well. to pull it out big momma id have to pull a 180.. easy with the right setup, really tough with my truck. And i have to worry about sprinklers, and if the ground is even a hair moist, i would see the tire tracks from a truck for months..

I guess I just don't know how fragile the K46 is, or whats comfortable for the x354 yet...

Now wondering if maybe hop up the L100 for pulling only would be a possibility, maybe just selling it for the few bucks i could and picking up a less expensive much older with more pulling potential.

Too many routes, and my 30d promise is ticking away...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I was thinking this too; or gravel. I cut in a drive back to my barn and park my trailer back there.

Sometimes gravel is softer than dirt. Have a 1,800 lb boat parked on gravel (for sale sign going on it real soon) and can tell it needs more umph to place it there than on grass or dirt...

The only real good thing would require scraping down 1-2' of topsoil and loamy earth to get to sand, then maybe a compacted RCA base might hold up, but dont know for sure about that after the freeze thaw thing....

Its a whole lot of energy being spent, when i know my loved and lost GX335 would have laughed at it, even when it was loaded...

·
Registered
728 Posts

Sometimes gravel is softer than dirt. Have a 1,800 lb boat parked on gravel (for sale sign going on it real soon) and can tell it needs more umph to place it there than on grass or dirt...

The only real good thing would require scraping down 1-2' of topsoil and loamy earth to get to sand, then maybe a compacted RCA base might hold up, but dont know for sure about that after the freeze thaw thing....

Its a whole lot of energy being spent, when i know my loved and lost GX335 would have laughed at it, even when it was loaded...
I guess I was thinking if you had gravel you can use your truck

but gravel is not as sexy as a new mower no one on here will fault you for wanting a bigger one ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because Im particular, lol.. I like the enclosed trailer doors facing my bedroom window so if I hear anything at night i can see them clearly, that means pulling in the yard a ways and backing the trailer to within 6'-8' of the fence next to the double gates.
The gates can swing wide open, i still have 10 plus feet of opening, to say pull the smaller trailer in or out as well. to pull it out big momma id have to pull a 180.. easy with the right setup, really tough with my truck. And i have to worry about sprinklers, and if the ground is even a hair moist, i would see the tire tracks from a truck for months..

I guess I just don't know how fragile the K46 is, or whats comfortable for the x354 yet...

Now wondering if maybe hop up the L100 for pulling only would be a possibility, maybe just selling it for the few bucks i could and picking up a less expensive much older with more pulling potential.

Too many routes, and my 30d promise is ticking away...
I was going to suggest upgrading your K46 tranny to a K57. I did mine over the winter. Or you could send it to me and I'll upgrade it for a fee... :tango_face_grin:
But, depending upon how often you move the trailer, it may be better to get a K66, or get a little bigger tractor. You might look at tractor house dot com for some...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to suggest upgrading your K46 tranny to a K57. I did mine over the winter. Or you could send it to me and I'll upgrade it for a fee...

... it may be better to get a K66, or get a little bigger tractor. You might look at tractor house dot com for some...
Does the K57 or K66 work with all wheel steering? The only one "I" know does was the K72 as its used in the x500 series with aws...

But ty for the heads up on where something might be found!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts