My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to install oil pressure and voltage gauges on the X340, used the 1 1/2" gauges from Autozone which some of the other members have used. a little nerve racking trying to make sure the holes are centered but I think they came out pretty good. The big surprise was thought I would check the low oil pressure switch which came on the engine, unplugged the wire with the engine running & nothing happened, added a pigtail wire to short to ground and nothing happened, traced the wire to other side of engine and unplugged the wire connection block and low & behold no wire coming out the other side to the harness. This pressure switch and wire is a useless install, I need to check with my dealer and see if something is amiss or if this is just installed during assembly for use on bigger machines. This is the FH721V 25hp engine. Do any of you have this pressure switch with wire going nowhere on there X340's? Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Good idea for the extra gauges , while its normally OK to just trust the machine , its even better to be able to monitor and verify things are OK .

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
normally the low oil switches ground and this kills the coil. i wonder why yours did not when you grounded the wire?

as to the guages, is the voltmeter connected to a switched source? i ask because it appears to be reading while the oil is not. if the meter is connected to a hot all the time source, it will run your battery down over a period of a week or two depending on draw and battery ampacity. most only draw a few milliamps, but over time this is enough to kill a battery.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Davidg, I just turned the switch on the take the pictures. On the pressure switch there is no wire coming from the other side of the wiring block. 5 wires on one side of the block and only 4 on the other side.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Decided to install oil pressure and voltage gauges on the X340, used the 1 1/2" gauges from Autozone which some of the other members have used. a little nerve racking trying to make sure the holes are centered but I think they came out pretty good. The big surprise was thought I would check the low oil pressure switch which came on the engine, unplugged the wire with the engine running & nothing happened, added a pigtail wire to short to ground and nothing happened, traced the wire to other side of engine and unplugged the wire connection block and low & behold no wire coming out the other side to the harness. This pressure switch and wire is a useless install, I need to check with my dealer and see if something is amiss or if this is just installed during assembly for use on bigger machines. This is the FH721V 25hp engine. Do any of you have this pressure switch with wire going nowhere on there X340's? Sorry for the long post.

You did the same as me for the hole (mist the center a bit).

Nicely done.:fing32:

I know that John Deere as 2 different wiring harness on the X3xx series.

I should have install a voltmeter too :banghead3

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Markcuda, when the engine is cold it shows about 75 pounds oil pressure at a higher idle, when hot about 35 lbs idle and about 45 at wot. Thanks for the compliment. Does your X360 have the low oil pressure switch?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
stladrill, kinda what I was thinking but seems like a waste of money to install the pressure switch and wire when it does nothing, quess I'll just replumb and remove the switch. Yeah it's a real pain to get these centered where you want them. :thanku: Forgot to ask but what is the push button below your choke?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
stladrill, kinda what I was thinking but seems like a waste of money to install the pressure switch and wire when it does nothing, quess I'll just replumb and remove the switch. Yeah it's a real pain to get these centered where you want them. :thanku: Forgot to ask but what is the push button below your choke?

It's a Horn
:D

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great job on the install and let us know how they work out for you. slkpk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very nice job on the install. I've been wanting to do the same set up on mine just haven't found the time. I will let you know about the factory oil switch and if it is functional or not soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, please let me know what you find out about the oil pressure switch. I can't believe these are installed and then are non functional. At first I wasn't going to do gauges because of the pressure switch but am glad I did. If I would have had an engine failure due to loss of oil and this pressure switch is non functional John Deere and me would be having a huge go around.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Does the x340 have a low oil pressure light? The reason I ask is I think that switch is for the low pressure light on the x500 series (same engine). I dont think it shuts down the engine.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Does the x340 have a low oil pressure light? The reason I ask is I think that switch is for the low pressure light on the x500 series (same engine). I don't think it shuts down the engine.
I know that in the dash a location is there to receive a light indicator.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No, it does not have a light. The pressure switch wire dead ends at a connection block on the other side of the engine, underneath the starter. I'am replumbing it now to eliminate the pressure switch but need to get some new farrels for the tubing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts