My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special connector that fits on the garden hose - that plugs into the deck washing port?? Or,,,do you just screw the garden hose into the threads of the connector - seems there are two ways to do this.
I went to home depot,,got a few different connectors that don't plug in right,,so screwed the end of the hose into it - turned on the water and the deck is as dirty as it was before.
Also,,that oil dip-stick - difficult to tell exactly where the oil line is - a very sloppy design. Otherwise - a great machine!

If anyone has a photo of the hose connector - could you please post it - Thanks!
rich

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Check with your JD dealer---you should have gotten the connector with the deck. It simply screws on the hose, has a check valve so you can turn the water on and not spray everywhere, and it has a quick-release connector to the deck fitting. Made of plastic.

Seems that the consensus view is that it's not worth much anyway, doesn't work worth a......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - Called the JD dealer - nice folks there. He said the wash port was a nice idea. But he said that if I wanted to keep the underside of the deck clean of grass that I should pick up a product called Deck Pro - it's a teflon spray to put on when the deck is clean and dry.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Those Melnor connectors aren't proprietary to Deere. I got a couple of them at Home Depot one time. If you see that exact Melnor connector pictured above at a home improvement store, it should work. Other brands will not work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't bother with the wash out port. Marketing gimic. Jury is out on the teflon sprays and other techniques. If you try the spray and it works please let us know!

·
Registered
204 Posts
wash port is USELESS.take deck off,clean it with water and plastic scrapper not metal one and spray PAM or other cheap vegatable oil sprays.forget the 9 dollar teflon spray, get the 1.85 PAM at family dollar.

for this to work, you have to clean after every cutting UNLESS your grass is real dry.damp grass is going to build up .

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yep, I tried the port on my first go around w/ the tractor. It pretty much sucks. I like the pull the deck off after 5 hours or so of mowing - scrape w/ a plastic scrapper like the guys say. Haven't tried PAM or anything like that though I'm not one to pull the deck off after every outting either. I DO use a leaf blower to clean off my rig after every cutting though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That is exactly what my John Deere dealer told me.
wash port was FIRST thing the salesman at lowes said to me before i bought the JD.yes, it way to sell mowers.what is needed is a cheap way to spray something under deck.some are using that FLOOR EXPOXY stuff at lowes on their rust spots but that stuff only comes in gallons, not pints.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the photo and the advice on deck cleaning. So far I've just reached under it with a spatula and knocked it off.
Now,,on the top of the deck there are those guards that cover the belts - I've found an awful lot of jammed up grass inside of these things. I'm thinking of removing the guards completely. I did that on my Wheelhorse 25 years ago because of heat build up. Yes,,I know it's supposed to be dangerous,,but I never had a problem and those spindles on the wheelhorse are original and still work. So,,have any of you removed those guards?
10 Hours on the x320 and love it! What a great cut! I notice it's a harder ride - really hard, compared to the old horse - but this I assume because of the smaller diameter wheels....I do miss those big rear tires - but the advantages of the new Deere seem to outweigh anything on the Horse so far.
rich

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Now,,on the top of the deck there are those guards that cover the belts - I've found an awful lot of jammed up grass inside of these things. I'm thinking of removing the guards completely. So,,have any of you removed those guards?

rich
Yep, on both of my JD's. I tried to leave them on for a long time on the GT235, but I had to remove them every time I mowed to get the junk out from around the sheaves, so I finally removed them for good(still have them, in case I ever sell it.....NOT) I took the ones on the 748 off before I even used it the first time.

I'm of the opinion that guards and safeties are no substitute for watching what the **** you're doing. I NEVER (did I say it loud enough?) get off the machine with the deck engaged, nor do I allow anyone within ten feet of the tractor when I'm mowing. I shut the deck off whenever I see anyone approach. The brake pedal interlock is the one safety I won't disconnect, it's a quick and convenient way to stop everything.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Would a pressure washer hitting the bottom be too much for the paint?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just use a rounded off wood chisel. I don't worry about knocking paint off bottom of deck. It usually wears off anyway, have had JDs for 30 years and never had a deck rust out yet. I just clean it good couple times a year and never oil it or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts