My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to start a new thread on the subject of which machine I should get, but I have read numerous threads on making a tractor decision and I am still no closer to finish my decision making process.

A little background. I have a .3 acre lot, with an average grade of 17%, with an area about 20 feet long in the front corner of the lot that approaches 20% grade.

I bought an X320 last week, but have since begun to second-guess my decision, wondering if I should have gone with the X500. I know that the X500 has the K72 transmission versus the K58 on the X320. The K72 being servicable and more robust is really the crux of the matter here. I just don't know if the K58 will hold up for years and years of use on my sloped lot. I would change the transmission fluid in either of the transmissions, servicable or not, but I understand that it's possible to add a transmission filter to the K72B, which would definitely help.

I realize that my yard is very tiny, but I plan on having more land one day, however, nothing more than 2-3 acres. I would like to do my own aerating, and there is a possibility of needing a tiller at some point for a small garden, but that's probably as ground-engaging as it will get. I don't think I'm really justified in getting the X500 over the X320 just to use a tiller; I could always just use a walk-behind or a self-powered tiller, right? I'll be using a cart to haul mulch around, and the 40 inch tractor shovel from Deere looks like it could be pretty useful. Maybe a front blade for snow at some point.

Anyway, I'd like to get some input on whether or not I should stick with the X320 or move up to the X500. I'm concerned with A) my current sloped lot and B) a larger future yard that may or may not be just as steep. My dealer is going to drop by my lot this week to take a look at the grade and give me some feedback, but he has already mentioned that he thought I would be fine with the X320.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
With that small of a lot, you should be fine with a push mower.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you think you might one day upgrade to a bigger lot or do more than just mow, I would go x500. From what I have read and what I observe from my x320, they are meant to last but the transaxle "can" be the weak link to shorten it's life span. I have read pages and pages regarding the K47s, K58s, K62s etc etc. I think people speculate alot about what the K58 will do or won't do but nobody knows for sure since it hasn't been out that long. Granted there have been problems with some of the K58s but I am sure they are problems from the factory, or from not using without its applications but not from normal usage. Plus as many of those x series that are out there, what percentage do those make up? But I say go X500 for future applications.

·
Super Moderator
16,758 Posts
K58 replaced the K62. In the Tuff Torq line up. Changed the number and added more features the same goes for the K46 which replaced the K51 in the Tuff Torq line up. With Tuff Torq Don't always asume because the number was made to a smaller didgit That it is less of a Transmission than it predessesor. The transmissions are spec out to the tractor manufacturer spec's http://www.tufftorq.com/level3.asp?ID=1 :thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
If your going to trade now is the time during your first 30 days and take advantage of their 30 Day Promise. Also if you do it now it may save you some money in the long run. slkpk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I just went out with a digital level and measured the grade of my yard. I got the 17% using a topo map, that's where the average came from.

The digital level shows that my average is actually 22%, with two steeper areas at opposite corners, both at 36%. I'll try to get some pictures up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pictures:

Front yard from driveway:

Front side yard looking down to back yard:

Front yard from street:

Back yard with house out of sight on left:

Front yard looking toward street with house out of sight on left (showing 36% grade corner):

Back yard looking up from bottom of yard:

Back yard with house out of sight on right (showing other 36% grade corner):

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Get the X500 series tractor with the dif lock and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Kind of looks like my front yard. I had a Craftsman YS4500 with a K46 Tranny (Your X320 has a bit beefier K58). After 2 years I began to notice that gradually the speed became slower and the noise level (whine) became louder. These lower end tranny's just don't like hills, especially if your pulling a loaded cart.

I think the X500 would serve your immediate and future needs quite well. You don't want to be second guessing yourself (like you are now) 2 -3 years down the road. Buy it once and be done with it - You won't regret it! :goodl:

·
X500 owner
21 Posts
We all buy things we don't really need, but I would say that if you can swing it, go for the X500. I don't have a huge lot either and I am glad I have the larger unit. Try to get the dealer to throw on a set of HDAP tires from another tractor. If you are going to try to pull a weighted plug aerator around on that slope you will be glad to have the power, locking diff and HDAP tires to make it work. If you will just be cutting grass though, either unit or even a cheaper brand will work fine. But you only live once, get what you will like. I also have a powerflow bagger with my X500 which works great for leaves in the fall. The bigger unit gives you more options and should be better resale down the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The happy medium is the X360, which has the K58 only with a filter and drain plug. Unfortunately, the X360 costs nearly as much as the base X500. Not a lot of savings.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have another Virginian on here.

After seeing that lot, I believe I'd go for an x500 for the differential lock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another option...

Mow down the hill from front to back. Drive up the more modestly graded dirt path around the neighborhood and back to the front. Mow down the hill once more... and repeat... :trink40:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another option...

Mow down the hill from front to back. Drive up the more modestly graded dirt path around the neighborhood and back to the front. Mow down the hill once more... and repeat... :trink40:
Hmmm...more seat time. I like the way you think!

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's Yankee logic for ya.

·
Registered
281 Posts
IMHO, An X500 with HDAP's would be my choice for your sloped yard. You would have all the traction needed, plus get a more robust hydro.

You already questing your decision. Go ahead an get the X500. Happy motoring!

[/IMG]

·
Registered
441 Posts
I vote 500 and not just because I like to see people spend money!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts