My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a new x320 with 27 hours. I was working this weekend hauling loads of brush with lots of short starts and stops. So, maybe the engine never really warmed up. A few times the engine sputtered. Then when driving up an incline it sputtered and stalled. I moved her to level ground and it took three cranks held for 5 or 6 seconds with full choke to get it going again. The gas tank was full. Oil is full. Any ideas??

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi, I have a new x320 with 27 hours. I was working this weekend hauling loads of brush with lots of short starts and stops. So, maybe the engine never really warmed up. A few times the engine sputtered. Then when driving up an incline it sputtered and stalled. I moved her to level ground and it took three cranks held for 5 or 6 seconds with full choke to get it going again. The gas tank was full. Oil is full. Any ideas??
FWIW, I notice the the 22HP Kawa takes a few turns more to actually turn over when compared to the 17HP Kawa.

As far as starting, stopping, I always wondered what the best way to go is? Do you leave it idle and then just up the throttle when you're ready to go? Or do you turn it off/on all the time?

I always kept mine at idle. Not sure if that was best or not.

·
Registered
747 Posts
How full was the gas tank? Could the vent on the gas cap have been obstructed? If air can't get in, the gas can't get out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Set the parking brake before getting off. That way the motor will continue to run while loading/unloading. If its going to be more than 5ish min. throttle down and turn it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks men. Will check the plugs, good idea-should have thought of that- and I do believe I did fill the gas tank past the fill line. Question: There's a vent on the gas filler cap?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pjmurren - Also have an x320 - I do this all the time with no problem. That engine gets hot quickly so I don't suspect fouled plugs. But, I suspect since the tank was full, that you probably topped it off with a bad batch of gas. I notice a distinct difference in the way my car runs - dependant on which gas station I buy it from. I think they're putting more additives (ethanol) in 'summer gas' than they're saying because there is currently a huge surplus of it.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Then when driving up an incline it sputtered and stalled. I moved her to level ground and it took three cranks held for 5 or 6 seconds with full choke to get it going again.

Low fuel level in the carb bowl?... float/valve misadjusted perhaps?

·
Registered
656 Posts
My X500 acted that way a while back (about 100 hours on it). I found that the fuel filter was plugged. After installing a new fuel filter, it runs great again.

I used a significantly larger fuel filter to help avoid the problem in the future.

Making sure the fuel is clean before filling the tractor's tank would help keep the fuel filter clean for a longer time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If there's a small hole in the top of the gas cap, it's a vent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help with this problem. It did happen a third time so I called my dealer. He agreed with one of you that a bad batch of gas, or water in the gas would most likely be the culprit. I was able to run the tank dry and then refill with new high test. So far so good. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts