My Tractor Forum banner

x320 speed

22K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  cgreencorn1 
#1 ·
have a question. My neighbor just purchased a used x320 with a little over 100hours on it. He got it, because I have a x320 that I purchased 3 years ago and have never had any issue and kept telling him how much I really liked it. He had a old cub cadet that finally died and ran across the used x320 and picked it up. We both have about a 1.5-2 acre lot, and I have mowed with his and it is noticable to me that his does not run as fast as mine or pull up slopes like mine. He has noticed it as well because he used mine to test before he bought one. Well we have parked them side by side, checkd his belts,looks at mine, everything appears to be the same.
His mows and runs great, but is slower. Well I guess you can say we may not have enough to do, but took my gps, on his wide open about 4.8mph, mine around 5.3-5.5 owner manuan says top speed 5.8mph I think.
Now the wired thing is his does go faster in reverse. Well I remember seeing a post on here once where someone described how to adjust some linkage so that will go faster in forward which will make it go slower in reverse. We checked the drive belt, his does look a little more worn than mine, but basically seem to be same tightness etc.
Any ideas? His mower runs and mows great. We put new plugs and fuel filter in his and changed oil, dont think it is anything wrong with his tranny because it does pull and mow great, but we now just curious. His has about 115 hours on it, mine has 80, maybe just more wear difference from 80 to 115, but any idea, thanks.
One thing I have always done is use seafoam in my gas tank. I actually ran out of gas once and then when i filled tank back up, it surged up and down and did not seem to have as much power, put some seafoam in and after a few minutes that cleared up. Put some seafoam in his, but still can notice the difference in speed. Engine speed seems the same, just moving speed. We greased everything, hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on here may have an idea. oh almost forgot, tire pressue on his is what owner manual says.
thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
could that harm the transmission, would that make a difference on slopes?
I think the reason why it seems to go up slopes slower is because it is running slower. I am not sure, but with the knowledge on this site, I am sure there are folks that know.
Could someone show a picture or explain how you would adjust the linkage.

Thanks

#4 ·
A simple fix. You need to adjust the pedals so that they both come up as far as they can. There is one bolt per pedal along with a locator peg as I recall. Loosen the bolt enough to move the pedal on the linkage. Force the pedal up as far as it will go while holding the linkage so it doesn't move. Retighten the bolt and do the same on the other pedal.

#11 ·
Thanks for picture, it helps a lot. Here is a picture I took of his forward pedal. If you look it appears that the pedal could be lifted up quite a bit. I looked at mine and the nut is more in the opposite direction than his, which is the way it is in the picture that you posted. Question - If you loosen the nut on the bold will the linkage move. We are going to adjust it one night this week, but want to wait until I find out from folks on this site if it looks like it should be raised. Just looking at it and comparing to the picture you posted, it appears his needs to be raised quite a bit more, and then I will adjust mine as well. Also, his reverse pedal looks like it could be raised quite a bit as well. Checked the drive belts on mine and his and they appear to be okay, not exactly sure how tight it should be. If anyone has a copy of the tech manual that may show and explain how to check and adjust the drive belt, could you post a shot of those pages? Thanks

Attachments

#8 ·
will try this in a few days. Does anyone know if there is any kind of service or tech bullentine on this. Just curious. thanks

#12 ·
here is another shot of the pedal with a ruler. Not that great of a picture but it appears that the 2 inch mark lines up with about the middle of the pedal

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks to everyone, we raised the pedal up like everyone described and would not believe the difference in his forward speed, felt like it had more torque on the slope, could have been our imagination, but big difference.
So much, now we going to adjust mine saturday, only thing is, I assume this will not cause a problem with the tractor. We stopped by the local jd dealer and they must have thought we was crazy, we took a small ruler and checked the pedal on 3 x320 and a couple of x500 on his show room floor, and there was a big difference. Some where right at 1.9-2 inches, some where as low as the picture. Makes you wonder why this is not described in the owners manual, or part of what they say they do when you buy one and they set everything up before they deliver it.

#14 ·
Thanks, always look for your post or replys. It just appears that the pedal is too low on the forward and reverse. I do not have the tech manual, going to purchase it. The pedals will travel all the way down and touch the floor board. I read on some other post that it should be 1.9 inches from the bottom of the pedal to the floor board. Would this be, if sitting on the tractor, the part of the pedal that is closes to you or the part of the pedal that toward the front of the tractor. If you look at the picture I posted, you can see that the part of the pedal that is closes to the driver is very low if it should be 1.9 inches. Thanks a lot, can see now where the tech manual is worth the money.

#18 ·
Now you got me thinking, Both petals on my new 530 bottom out against the floor mat. Guess I'll have to see if they need adjusting although forward and reverse both seem normal to me.

#20 ·
His use to, checked mine and it bottoms out as well, but now his does not quite bottom out. I am a beliver now, and convinced before jumping into something, asking on here firt is a wise thing to do.

#21 ·
stladrill
Thanks for the advice, adjusted mine today, did not really measer anything, just broke the nut loose and raised the pedal up as far as it would go, tightened it back up, took it for a test drive, very noticable difference, felt more responsive and had more top speed when i took off down the driveway.

Will mow with it in a few hours once the grass is dry (one of those that never mows if grass wet or damp) and then will be able judge better how much difference it makes.
I was at the JD dealer this morning and walked around back and asked one of the techs i know that works there and he said that he always raised it as high as he could whenever he serviced a mower and a lot of times the customer will make a comment on how much faster and more responsive the mower seems. Makes them happy, keeps them coming back. Just looks like it should be mentioned in the operator manual, but I guess after doing mine they dont want everyone to go in and start trying to loosen the nuts, because it is a pain.

#22 ·
Just wondering if it would be the benefitual on the my X500. My pedals bottom out on the floor mat, but as per the owners manual it is going at the speed that is in the manual. I checked the foward and reverse speed with my GPS. I would think it would hurt to go faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.