My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the belt guards back on the deck yesterday to show the accumulation of debris that gathers. Those pulleys are HOT and I'm convinced this impacted grass can't be doing them any good for a long life. I removed them on my old Wheelhorse deck 25 years ago - and never once had a spindle or bearing problem. I'm not sure if these guards are a safety item (never had a problem) or cosmetic.
The 1st photo shows right after the guards were removed - underneath the pulleys the grass impacts itself very hard and needs to be poked out with a stick.
the 2nd shows with the grass yanked out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I took the guards off the 42" deck on my X300 to clean it up and grease the spindles. Don't have to worry about putting them back on because I took them for a ride on the back bumper of my truck and at some point they went AWOL. Oh well, I doubt I would ever have put them back on anyway and I really don't have the wall space for another permanent wall hanging. The pulleys and belts on the 42" deck are completely covered by the floor pan anyway so I do not see it as being much of a safety feature in this case.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Rich, yep they are a nuisance, took mine off my L120 a few years ago, just gotta be careful though, as David mentioned, it's easy to put your foot down on a moving spindle. Be aware of that all the time. :rauch10:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Davidg & Jim - The first time I removed them, right after mowing, the covered pulleys were hot compared to the center pulley. Without the guards they feel slightly warm and no grass collects under them. I can understand the safety issue - but I've never put my foot on the deck itself while it was running - yet. On the Deere & Wheelhorse they seem safely out of the way for this to happen.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have not removed mine yet for cleaning only 12 hours so far.But I have the same covers on my other 48C on a LX277.I never really had a large buildup with it.I think it has a lot to do with conditions.I blow mine off with a leaf blower after every use.It does not blow it all out but it gets some.I will be removing my deck to clean it up anyway very soon.

But if I ever decided I needed to remove the covers more often.I would just do away with the nuts and drill a hole and add a washer and a pull clip pin.But after about 12 hours its time to pull the deck to clean the underside anyway so removing the covers is done at that time so not a real issue.

Another option would be to cut a section out so the grass could be blown out.If I did remove the covers I would not loose them.Because at trade time a dealer will deduct for them being missing.They will not sell it with them missing because of lawsuits.Atleast my dealer will not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing that I did not mention - and perhaps is part of the accumulation problem,, I have near 2 acres of soyza grass. It's almost like plastic astroturf, and nearly looks artificial. It's extremely dense and hard.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I try to make a point of taking off the guards and cleaning the area every other mowing or so, especially if it's really wet grass. The buildup of wet grass could contribute to accelerating spindle rust, although frictional heat does a decent job of drying that area out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts