My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 54" deck out today to wire wheel, prime, and paint the underside. In the past when I removed the deck each fall I had trouble keeping the deck hangers out of the way as I slid the deck, so I thought I'd be smart this year and use a bungee cord to keep them up. Apparently it kept them too high up and now one of them is stuck and the part that slides up and down won't slide (see picture). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Is it stuck or did you not lock the lift pedal in the full back or up position which allows the arms to lower for ease of installation? I seem recall not being able to get my X500 arms down to attach the deck when I forgot to lock the pedal in full back position.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it stuck or did you not lock the lift pedal in the full back or up position which allows the arms to lower for ease of installation? I seem recall not being able to get my X500 arms down to attach the deck when I forgot to lock the pedal in full back position.
I had the foot lift in the "pulled back and locked" position from when I removed the deck this morning. It was still in that position when I noticed the hanger was stuck. After about 10 minutes of trying to knock it loose I lowered the foot lift to see if that would help. It didn't so I put it back in the "up and locked" position. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the deck, jack up the tractor, and slide under to see if I can knock it loose from underneath.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hmmm.... the only other thing I can think of looking at your pic, is that the arm was raised beyond it's pivot point. That point being where the threaded lift rod goes through the bushing attached to the lift arm. It looks like the threaded lift rod is at a pretty steep angle. But maybe just the photo angle. Is it just the one lift arm stuck? If so, compare the threaded rod angle to the other one. I recall they are more vertical than the one in you pic, but I'm not at home and going from memory only.

Good luck and let us know how this works out. Be safe under that machine...!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.... the only other thing I can think of looking at your pic, is that the arm was raised beyond it's pivot point. That point being where the threaded lift rod goes through the bushing attached to the lift arm. It looks like the threaded lift rod is at a pretty steep angle. But maybe just the photo angle. Is it just the one lift arm stuck? If so, compare the threaded rod angle to the other one. I recall they are more vertical than the one in you pic, but I'm not at home and going from memory only.

Good luck and let us know how this works out. Be safe under that machine...!!
I think you're right about the angle being too steep. I think the bungee cords raised the lift arms too high. I think I'm going to crawl under with out jacking it up to see if I can knock it down/loose.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the deck this morning and crawled under the tractor. I sprayed the two pieces with 3-in-1 oil and was able to wiggle them free. What happened was the threaded hanger was almost parallel to the ground, and the sliding piece got stuck up in the "hook" of the hanger. Lubricating it and wiggling it back and forth allowed it to slide free.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yee haa! I see that the hook is a bit open allowing the bushing to ride up into the loop and get "hooked".

Glad it was a simple fix, good job finding and fixing it.

Happy mowing!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Super good pics by the way. Might help someone else down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts