My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to mow with my x320 yesterday and it started right up out of the garage. I mowed the entire yard no problem. I then trimmed with the push mower.
Go to put the x320 away and the problem comes in. Crank and no start. Eventually it started after about 15 minutes of trying. I have had this problem in the past at the exact same time, after done mowing when I go to put it away.
Yes, the warranty is still good, but you know they won't be able to duplicate the problem at the dealer. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Lets get all the dumb questions out of the way.......did you run the choke lever up.....was it out of gas.....was the brake engaged. With that out of the way ..... Okay now have you checked the battery terminal for oxidation, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter. Follow the entire fuel line to rule out kinks. Next pull the plugs and check for fouling, and make sure the electrode is still there regap and install (or replace). Also check the wiring connections for the fuel pump.

Also I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me that I've heard that the fuel sending unit can malfuntion in the 300/500 series, don't quote me on that but it might be worth checking into. In any case:goodl:

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound like a ignition coil malfunction when hot.

How many hours?
Did you use the tractor last winter?
Around 60 hours, I have a 318 for winter duty. I was thinking coil as well. Seems like the classic symptoms, starts well when cold, hard to start when hot.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets get all the dumb questions out of the way.......did you run the choke lever up.....was it out of gas.....was the brake engaged. With that out of the way ..... Okay now have you checked the battery terminal for oxidation, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter. Follow the entire fuel line to rule out kinks. Next pull the plugs and check for fouling, and make sure the electrode is still there regap and install (or replace). Also check the wiring connections for the fuel pump.

Also I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me that I've heard that the fuel sending unit can malfuntion in the 300/500 series, don't quote me on that but it might be worth checking into. In any case:goodl:
Yeah, I checked all the dumb questions. Fuel filter is original. Mower is a 2010, so it has three seasons on it. I had not heard about the sending unit, I will check into that.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
But it's a twin with 2 coils..... I would find the connector for the coil kill wire and disconnect it to see if the motor then starts.....This is assuming it's not a battery and coil ign like the water cooled motors....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts