My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Yet another maintenance question....So I bought a new X310 last April. So far it has 12.4 hours on it. I only use it for mowing and it is kept in a enclosed shed when not in use.

My question is should I be doing all of the 50 hours or Annually maintenance before this year’s mowing season. I last changed the oil/filter at 8 hours.

Happy to spend the money/and time on the maintenance kit, just wanted to make sure it was not overkill. I believe the kit comes with oil/filter, an air filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
384 Posts
If it was mine and I just changed oil & filter at 8 hours, I certainly would run it until it hit 50 hrs. Then change both engine oil & filter and transmission oil & filter. The X310 has a servicable transmission & I think it should be changed at 50 hours. That filter has to be purchased separately and I think I paid $27 for mine. Unless you cut in very dusty conditions, air & fuel filters should go at least 50 hrs. Al

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
If it was my machine, I'd only change the engine oil and oil filter at this time. The air filter, gas filter and spark plugs should still be fine. I would also add some Seafoam to the fuel, if it hasn't been run all winter, to help mitigate any humidity (water) that might have developed in your gas can and the machine's gas tank.

I tend to change the oil and oil filter with the change of season, i.e., once at the end of summer (just before snow removal season) and then again in the spring (just before the mowing season). Best to have fresh oil and a new oil filter for the heaviest usage periods, in my opinion.

As for the hydro, I'd follow the Deere maintenance schedule.

Enjoy your new X310!

Hey Guys,

Yet another maintenance question....So I bought a new X310 last April. So far it has 12.4 hours on it. I only use it for mowing and it is kept in a enclosed shed when not in use.

My question is should I be doing all of the 50 hours or Annually maintenance before this year’s mowing season. I last changed the oil/filter at 8 hours.

Happy to spend the money/and time on the maintenance kit, just wanted to make sure it was not overkill. I believe the kit comes with oil/filter, an air filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,076 Posts
Did you perform the initial 8 hour oil & filter change as per the maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
641 Posts
He said he did perform the maintenance at 8 hours.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If you only have 4 hours on the post break in oil change I wouldn't touch it. Just a waste of oil and filter. Put 50 hours on it or whatever the full lenth of use the Book recommends. Oil doesn't go bad sitting in a crankcase for the winter but some of these guys put several hours on them during winter so they change in spring.

There's nothing wrong with doing maintenance anytime. Who says you can't clean the air filter every week if need be. Check everything out you feel needs to be checked to make you feel ready to go. Just no need to replace things that aren't needed but nothing stops you from giving it a good maintenance look over. Plus the books maintenance schedule is just a reference anyway. The conditions the machine is working under dictates what is needed. Heavy duty work in dry and dusty conditions may call for earlier oil changes ect than a weekend warrior mower. In your case it sounds like you are very exquisite about taking care of it and should have to do nothing any sooner than what the book calls for.

Good luck

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
I change my oil and filter every spring regardless of the hours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, I try to take pretty good care of it. I started it up over the weekend and mowed a little bit. Everything sounded great. I think I will still change the engine oil for peace of mind and add some SeaFoam to the gas tank.

Thanks again, happy mowing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts