My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I believe you can contact Tuff Torq for details, they're pretty free with Info.

They make the majority of JD's small tractor rear ends, from the T40 to K90.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
>The X300 and X304 do nicely with a 10 bushel bagger that needs no powerflow headache. The X320 and up start at 48" decks which mandate the expense of a powerflow helper if you must have the bagger.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the bagger on my LA130. I put it on in about 5 minutes yesterday and it had rained that morning. I bagged the entire yard and the only time it clogged was when I went through wet fescue and chickweed that was 12" high. I figured it would but I agree, I'd rather have the non-powerflow model, easy to remove and put on. It took me about 2 hrs to put it together the first time but man it sure goes on and off easily. The only thing I need to change is the hook that holds the chute in place on the deck sometimes slips over the nut, I'm going to put a slightly longer bolt in the deck deflector so it won't slip over. I see no need for the fan assist, mine leaves virtually nothing behind.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
...48" decks which mandate the expense of a powerflow helper if you must have the bagger..."

my L120 has a 3-blade 48" deck, and has no problems what so ever, bagging, without the so-called "expensive power flow helper"

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think it's "mandated" because JD sells 'em that way. Whether the powerflow unit is needed to do the job is a separate issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The K46 or K58 are serviceable;:thThumbsU

The issue is that we can not change the hydraulic filter or make an oil flush without opening the case;

Those tranny do have an internal filter at the bottom of the sump and also 4x magnets positioned on strategic locations to pick-up worn metal particles;

Pump & Motor are piston type; The swash plate is on the pump;

Repair and seals kit is available from Tuff Torq for $312; (Center kit - Pump kit - Motor kit - Seals) Any of those individual kits are available as stand alone.

Gerotor Charge pump kit: $27.81

Complete transaxle K58B: $773.58 (Including Fan + pulley)
Complete transaxle K58A: $746.53 (Fan & Pulley not included)

Hope this might help for some week-end repairs;

·
Registered
29 Posts
There might be an error with the downgrade K46 transmission from the 2007 K58 shown on the 2008 JD Specs sheet;

The same detail 2008 Specs sheet calls for the K48 on the X304, but the axle is shown as 1" diameter on the same sheet...!!!

The X300 has 3/4" shaft and the X304 has 1" shaft shown on the "Detail Specifications" - Select x300 Tractors 2008" from the Dealer...?

Lets hope that this was a typo error for the K46 downgrade; My dealer says that they were not informed from JD about this change;

Once they receive their new 2008 X304 up North, I will pay a visit at the dealer and check the model on the transaxle ID label;

·
Registered
56 Posts
JMC Wrote:

>>> Default Re: X304 2008 Tranny downgrade?
>>>K46 and K58 are sealed. Bigger ones are servicable.

i'm trying to figure out what you mean by a serviceable tranny. does it just mean that you can easily change the oil?

the tuff torq uses standard 10w30 auto engine oil. this is right off their web page.

i know an expert mechanic who keeps his cars and he gave me the simple advise to use all synthetic fluids if possible. they cost more but if you plan to keep your vehicle (or tractor) they are worth the extra money - don't break down as quickly, more resistant to high temperature, key in a tractor transmission.

so what would you say to taking the oil out of a new tranny and putting in mobil-1? good idea or not so much...

if your transmission has a fill hole on top but no drain hole on the bottom, check out the liquivac topsider at northern tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_390306_390306
http://www.tufftorq.com/prods.asp?PID=9

I have a new husky 2346xls that i plan to use for mowing, snowblowing up a steep driveway (i'll let you know if I get stuck) and pulling around my overfilled garden cart with rocks, logs, and sand... So I plan to use it for all it was intended for and possibly a bit more.

the tractor has a k46LD and i am wondering if changing the oil each season will prolong its life, or if that is even necessary much at all.

i realize this is a JD thread but we do share the tuff-torq subject...

any advice from the experts is much appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a new x360 and the JD specs say it's a k58. Now mine is serviceable as it has an oil tank, drain plugs, and a replaceable filter. Are there 2 different types of k58?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't think any of the X300 series had a serviceable tranny.

I looked at the specs on the Deere page for the X500 series and it states that the X500 series has a "heavy duty garden tractor transaxle". The specs on the X360 do not state this - none of the X300 series do. I have not seen anything on Tuff Torque's web site that indicates an X360 tranny (K58) is serviceable with a drain plug. Unless this is a 2009 model and they've changed the specs???

Can you post a pic of the X360 tranny?

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the X360 manual:

Transaxle Kanzaki, Variable Speed Hydrostatic
Model X300, X304 K46
Model X320, X324, and X340 K58
Model X360 K58H

fyi...the X5nn lineup has the K72 tranny.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bravo :congrats:

Now we're going to have to find out if that K58H is a plug-n-play installation with the lower X300 models. It's not the sort of upgrade I'd do for fun, but if the K58 in my X304 ever gives up the ghost, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The X500's series have a replaceable screen type filter. Higher end models come with one, lower end, you can add it.

The X700's series have a traditional looking spin-on oil filter.

Having had an L130 with the K46, no way am I ever owning another similar model. I thought real hard about buying a new X540 and ended up purchasing a very low hour X485 (same as an X720). Glad I did. Drive one of the bigger machines and you will be looking to own one.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Has anyone ever considered an additive like a Lucas anti-foaming additive to their hydro prevent any fuure issues in regards to oil issues?
(Their gear demo looks interesting and fairly compelling, but I'm not sure if I'm being suckered or not)

·
Registered
13 Posts
New poster here.
Just (3 hours on the engine timer) got a 2017 x350R, manual lists it having a kanzaki K46, and I have no reason to disbelieve it.
But now, I'm wondering if I should bother to change out the oil in the transaxle and put in the syn 5-50, or let the dealer pick it up on the extended warranty. Also wondering if I change fluid now, while it's working, if it fails in 2 years, if that would be noticed and voided ? It looks pretty straight forward, to jack it up, pull the wheels and drop the trans, if you have a nice shop and jackstands.

Just a note, the 2017 x350R with the 42" deck, has a center exit tunnel, and seems to be a straight shot to the rear bagger, no extra blower. It will quickly plug mowing standing straw, unless you creep through it. Spring will tell how it does with green grass.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know what i would do. If you have mechanical/fabrication/welding abilities I would do a K66Y swap. It will work with some engineering.

·
Rich
383 Posts
New poster here.
Just (3 hours on the engine timer) got a 2017 x350R, manual lists it having a kanzaki K46, and I have no reason to disbelieve it.
But now, I'm wondering if I should bother to change out the oil in the transaxle and put in the syn 5-50, or let the dealer pick it up on the extended warranty. Also wondering if I change fluid now, while it's working, if it fails in 2 years, if that would be noticed and voided ? It looks pretty straight forward, to jack it up, pull the wheels and drop the trans, if you have a nice shop and jackstands.

Just a note, the 2017 x350R with the 42" deck, has a center exit tunnel, and seems to be a straight shot to the rear bagger, no extra blower. It will quickly plug mowing standing straw, unless you creep through it. Spring will tell how it does with green grass.
The Kanzaki is another name for TuffTorq. I changed the oil in mine at 50 hours (after break-in) and put in synthetic, you will not void the warranty if you do not put a bunch of marks on it when changing the oil:tango_face_smile_bi. Here is a thread on changing the oil. Done on my X300, the X350R might be slightly different. K46 oil change with pictures

·
Registered
13 Posts
News, don't know how good it is, or if it's more of a PITA.
Got under the mower seat, and looked at the transmission, and it's got a reserve tank on top ! Tank looks to be empty though. Maybe it's an expansion tank to insure no overflow and diminished trans capacity when fluid heats and cools.
3 hours on the machine, looking down the rear exit bagging chute.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts