My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Man, the NorTrac 4x4, with 248 hours, with a loader, bush hog, and grader box for $2k sounds like a screaming deal! I just paid more then that for the little buck.

I share your thinking as well. Besides getting the bug from you guys, I didn't want to put the trans-axle in the X300 and still not have something I could grow into. Would rather have more and use less now then less and need more later.

During this whole process the gal that was going to CO-OP with me has completely flaked out, which I'm thankful for as my mind set and vision has totally changed since getting into ground engaging equipment. As a result, my 5 and 4 year old girls will get to experience gardening and a touch of farm life that they otherwise wouldn't have had. I know its late, but I'm going to try my hand at pumpkins and hopefully the girls along with their friends and neighborhood kids will be able to come over for a fall time festival with caramel apples, warm cider, hot dogs cooked over the fire, hay rids behind the tractor, maybe a balloon guy, and pick their own pumpkins off the vine!

All of this from posing a question about X300 implements to a group of guys willing to help. Its been a long road since the divorce (2018) and I am so excited, thankful, and humbled to have this new interest and hobby for me and my girls. This whole affair is very much God giving me a desire of my heart and using you guys to bring it to bare.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That's awesome, good for you, and your family! That sounds like a great plan.

Pictures (even video of the machine working) would be cool once you get to that point.

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Man, the NorTrac 4x4, with 248 hours, with a loader, bush hog, and grader box for $2k sounds like a screaming deal! I just paid more then that for the little buck.

I share your thinking as well. Besides getting the bug from you guys, I didn't want to put the trans-axle in the X300 and still not have something I could grow into. Would rather have more and use less now then less and need more later.

During this whole process the gal that was going to CO-OP with me has completely flaked out, which I'm thankful for as my mind set and vision has totally changed since getting into ground engaging equipment. As a result, my 5 and 4 year old girls will get to experience gardening and a touch of farm life that they otherwise wouldn't have had. I know its late, but I'm going to try my hand at pumpkins and hopefully the girls along with their friends and neighborhood kids will be able to come over for a fall time festival with caramel apples, warm cider, hot dogs cooked over the fire, hay rids behind the tractor, maybe a balloon guy, and pick their own pumpkins off the vine!

All of this from posing a question about X300 implements to a group of guys willing to help. Its been a long road since the divorce (2018) and I am so excited, thankful, and humbled to have this new interest and hobby for me and my girls. This whole affair is very much God giving me a desire of my heart and using you guys to bring it to bare.
Keep In Mind there are Parts Issues(getting replacement Parts) with the Nor Track Tractors and it Not Northern Tools Fault exactly

·
Registered
218 Posts
Keep In Mind there are Parts Issues(getting replacement Parts) with the Nor Track Tractors and it Not Northern Tools Fault exactly
Guys, I got a screaming deal. My friend had a tennent that couldn’t pay the rent when the machine was new, and gave it to him for the rent. My buddy is a city boy and had no need for it, except mowing a 3 acre field 1-2 a month. He sold the property so let me have it cheap. I’ve seen some stories on line of people have horror stories with these things. I sheared a ball joint and ordered one fron Nashville about 5 in the evening and had the new on the next day in MD. So, the parts they, they get to you quick. I dealt with a dealer and skipped NT, they have most of the parts for the Jinma made tractors. Sorry for the diversion. I’ll let you know how it’s doing at 500 hours if it’s still going.

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Guys, I got a screaming deal. My friend had a tennent that couldn’t pay the rent when the machine was new, and gave it to him for the rent. My buddy is a city boy and had no need for it, except mowing a 3 acre field 1-2 a month. He sold the property so let me have it cheap. I’ve seen some stories on line of people have horror stories with these things. I sheared a ball joint and ordered one fron Nashville about 5 in the evening and had the new on the next day in MD. So, the parts they, they get to you quick. I dealt with a dealer and skipped NT, they have most of the parts for the Jinma made tractors. Sorry for the diversion. I’ll let you know how it’s doing at 500 hours if it’s still going.
Well You had good Luck But there having issues with getting Parts on some of the Nor Track Tractors and Bulldozer's That have been sold (y)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup, I thought it was interesting!

I'm sure you looked for good deals. But wow, the capacity you got for your dollar is amazing! You got a big machine with a loader for $2k? That's nuts :) You'd pay around that for just a (new) Johnny Bucket Jr for a GT!

I'd expect that location plays a part. If you're in an area of the country where big equipment is more common, that must make things easier to find.
I live to the West of and about 30 miles from DC and Baltimore. Western MD used to be big farming and orchard country. Lots of old tractors. Not gonna tell you where all the little JD’s are! Haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hey guys,

I have the 455 back from the JD dealership and have been using it this weekend. They did quite a run through on it. Typical servicing, bad injector, change hydro fluid, service deck and install new blades. I haven't had a chance to use the tiller yet but I have installed the 3pt cat 1 hitch, 50lbs wheel weights, and the little buck.

In all I mowed my yard which had grow to be field and I was actually able to use the agri-fab yard sweeper that would bring the X300 to its knees. THAT was fulfilling. I used the loader to get the tiller out of the truck, move the retaining wall bricks about 10ft, and spread about 30 loads of wood chips from two hackberry and cedar stumps I had ground down today. The loader handled the bricks but they were to much and I wouldn't load it up like that again. Even when scooping and carrying wood chips I can see where lugs are in order as the turfs whould spin even when locked in. The experience was amazing... very fulfilling, and in about two hours time I spread all those chips over the area that will be tilled under this weekend. I believe my world dominance should be in full force after I get the tiller running! :) But... I am concerned I messed up.

When using the loader, I noticed that the bucket would drop a bit and I would have to lift it up. other times, it would lose pressure in one of the cylinders. Also, when I had the tiller attached (after testing the buck), it would sag and slowly drop so i would have to keep lifting it up. Upon checking the fluid under the seat, the stick is bone dry. As in nothing registers on it. I didn't think to add fluid to accommodate the lines and cylinders for the buck and now I am paranoid that I have burned out or prematurely worn the trans-axle.

Tractor friends, if I may solicit a bit more guidance:
1. Please tell me I didn't destroy my tractor
2. The tiller has never been used and has sat for 4 years outside. The reservoir still had the silicone packet in it so I don't think it has ever been primed. I'm feeling I should change the oil but at over $100.00 for JD Hydro-guard, what do you think?
3. While the Ruegg Cat1 3pt hitch is installed correctly, the clip that holds the drop stop will not stay in place and as a result that bar just floats around. I suspect other 425,445,and 455 owners with the same kit experience the same thing... or not I dunno. Is that big deal?
4. Please tell me I didn't destroy my tractor

Thank you again for you help.

1593398318613.jpg 1593398283268.jpg 1593398310086.jpg 1593398585519.jpg 1593398611212.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
1. You didn't destroy your tractor.

It's unlikely at least. Do make sure you check the fluid whenever you add a new hydraulic implement. But, you are not the first person to forget to do that. I'm sure it will be just fine, once you add more fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks, Frogmore... I ended up opting to change the fluid in the tiller and will be doing so this week. I think later this fall I will go for Carlisle Trac Chief 26x12-12. I've also figured out a way to rig the drop stop bracket in place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yup, I thought it was interesting!

I'm sure you looked for good deals. But wow, the capacity you got for your dollar is amazing! You got a big machine with a loader for $2k? That's nuts :) You'd pay around that for just a (new) Johnny Bucket Jr for a GT!

I'd expect that location plays a part. If you're in an area of the country where big equipment is more common, that must make things easier to find.
In Michigan I can buy a small gas 25-50hp farm tractor in nice shape with implements for far less than a SGT or Kubota. I mean I can buy a 5-6ft 3pt tiller for 1k vs a 42" hydraulic tiller for the same or more money. The economics scale is kind of nuts in the amount of work you can do with one versus another for less money. Though lots of people don't have the space to store a small farm tractor hence the demand for Scuts, Cuts, and SGTs.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts