My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Thanks again, guys. Everyone helped me get to this point and I appreciate it. You put me at ease on the parts concern and I contacted 3 more dealers and they concurred that the 455 is a great investment and parts will be there.

Right now my budget is blown with the irony that I won't be purchasing any attachments anytime soon for my new kick *** tractor that I bought for attachments. :cool: I can rent a tiller for the time being and the wheelbarrow works just fine. I hope the butchers bill from the dealer isn't too bad. They said $250.00 for typical service with fluids. I need to verify if that includes trans fluid and filter. I also requested a hydraulic system service.

What a great board. I just can't convey how excited I am! You guys know your stuff and whats better are willing to share the knowledge with noobies like me. Wally, thanks for the 455 nod. Sergeant, your #10 post explaining your equipment and methods is inspiring. You, sir, know your stuff.
Now at Minimum to till You will need to spend $455 to $485 to get a 3 Point Hitch From Ruegg Ruegg MFG - Agricultural Hitch Kits for Various Tractors Then You Can use a 42inch Hydraulic tiller If You want a Rear PTO tiller Your Looking at close to $1,193.98 with the addition of a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch & a 540RPM rear PTO one of the Least expensive New Tillers $1,249.99. So Your Looking at $2,443.97 On top of Your Purchase Price. In the Long run The X300 Upgrade Plus X500 series rear Hitch Plate and a Bercomac tiller would have been about $2,000 cheaper if You buy a New Rear PTO driven tiller from a Place Like Northern Tool for Your 455 (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks, Sergeant. Yes, the costs is piling up. But, I have decided to use a credit card, and to that end found a 42in tiller for an X700. :) It seems to have all the hookup hardware for a 3 point and the pump plate. I know it may be hard to tell, and that I would most likely need the plat to mount the pump and the drive shaft, but if I get the correct 3pt hitch for it would fit does this look like it would fit my 455? I talked to the sales rep and he thinks it is for a cat 0 3pt hitch. I've made arrangements to pick it up as early as tomorrow.

=> link

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Surprised that somebody actually ordered a 42inch Hydraulic tiller In Cat 0 for a X700 signature series If You Can get a Picture of the Bracket On the Tiller I can tell You weather it set Up for Cat 0 or Cat 1
If It Has no Mounted Pins Is should be set Up for a Cat 1 Then Get the ruegg Cat 1 Hitch. Does it come with a quick Coupler Drive shaft If it does that will still work On Your Mid PTO. Some Have said You don't need a New Pump Bracket. But if You do need One Your Only Looking at $78.00 for One (y)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Heh, you really went in with both feet, from an X300 mower (that's not meant disrespectfully), to a tractor with a 3-point hitch and rear PTO (? or at least mid-PTO), apparently :)

That's awesome, congrats, and enjoy the new capabilities! Hopefully the credit card doesn't bite too hard.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
yea - just like you didn't buy a new tractor, you dont need to buy new attachments.
I bought a used 540pto tiller for my 2305 for $200 a while ago. That was a crazy deal: quite rare - i guess I got lucky....
Put about $100 worth of paint into it, and new oil for the gear box... and probably 5-6hrs of labor to give it a proper go-over and paint it. Check it out: Pegoraro Tiller
That one would be too big for a 455, plus it's a 540pto drive, but the point is that there are lots of deals out there if you have take time to look and/or are patient enough for a deal to pop up.

Did you get a good deal on the 42" tiller?....

The ruegg 3pt hitch will serve you well, and it has many other uses. You can the drag a tine cultivator, or discs, or plow, or furrowers/hillers etc.... very handy for running a garden.

I use the tiller every spring on a 3000sqft garden (I am thinking about growing it to 5000sqft).... then a furrower to make my shallow rows for my potato patch... then I plant... then I use my C-tine cultivator adjusted to backfill the furrows... after a few weeks, I reconfigure the cultivator into a hiller and use it to hill the potato plants.....
i've done these tasks by machine and by hand.... the setup of the attachments is unique based on what you're growing, and in what type of soil - it took some time to get it right... and I still have a bit of minor tweaking to do... one could argue that it's quicker to just do it by hand on such a small garden... but I tell you once you have your equipment and process dialled in, it beats doing it by hand by a long shot....

I paid $150 for a used c-tine cultivator. then spent $45 on some 4" and 8" sweeps for it.
The furrower I just fabricated from scratch... copied a middle buster design with a furrower blade on it... all I bought was a $40 draw-bar, and another $60-80 worth of steel - and then put about 3-4 hrs into welding cutting and drilling. It's a hobby!

cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey guys... I did purchase the tiller today. Turns out it was "new" and unused as a mis-order at a JD dealership and had been sitting on the back lot since fall of 16. It's setup for cat 1 3pt so I will be ordering the ruegg cat 1 3pt hitch and the pump plat for it. I'm not sure about the shaft... perhaps ( I suspect) one or more of you guys would know if I need to order one from the pics? The JD salesman said it has never been in operation and was sitting were it was dropped of when ordered. I asked him if I should change oil or do any maintenance and he didn't seem think so. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the help and guidance. What a great community. I having to sell my motorcycle to pay for all of this so if anyone is interested in a pristine 20005 Suzuki SV1000s in red w/7k adult miles on it, never been down, garage kept, running amsoil its entire life, with a new Suzuki OEM stator and flywheel installed last summer let me know! ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Hey guys... I did purchase the tiller today. Turns out it was "new" and unused as a mis-order at a JD dealership and had been sitting on the back lot since fall of 16. It's setup for cat 1 3pt so I will be ordering the ruegg cat 1 3pt hitch and the pump plat for it. I'm not sure about the shaft... perhaps ( I suspect) one or more of you guys would know if I need to order one from the pics? The JD salesman said it has never been in operation and was sitting were it was dropped of when ordered. I asked him if I should change oil or do any maintenance and he didn't seem think so. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the help and guidance. What a great community. I having to sell my motorcycle to pay for all of this so if anyone is interested in a pristine 20005 Suzuki SV1000s in red w/7k adult miles on it, never been down, garage kept, running amsoil its entire life, with a new Suzuki OEM stator and flywheel installed last summer let me know! ;)
You'll be fine On the shaft That should connect On the Mid PTO with out a Problem so I would Just Order M131165 John Deere Plate - M131165
Just In case You need new Hardware
19M7835 X2 John Deere M10 x M35 Bolt - 19M7835
14M7400 X2 John Deere 10MM Lock Nut - 14M7400
45M7084 X3 John Deere PIN FASTEN 45M7084
24M7047 X3 John Deere M12 Flat Washer - 24M7047
M88183 X3 John Deere Locking Ring - M88183

BTW if You Buy from the store I posted use Coupon code TTWT it will give You free shipping (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You'll be fine On the shaft That should connect On the Mid PTO with out a Problem so I would Just Order M131165 John Deere Plate - M131165
Just In case You need new Hardware
19M7835 X2 John Deere M10 x M35 Bolt - 19M7835
14M7400 X2 John Deere 10MM Lock Nut - 14M7400
45M7084 X3 John Deere PIN FASTEN 45M7084
24M7047 X3 John Deere M12 Flat Washer - 24M7047
M88183 X3 John Deere Locking Ring - M88183

BTW if You Buy from the store I posted use Coupon code TTWT it will give You free shipping (y)
Man... Thanks, Sergeant! Folks like you make the world a better place!

·
Super Moderator
15,891 Posts
Man... Thanks, Sergeant! Folks like you make the world a better place!
I am Just Glad You were able to get a Hydraulic tiller so fast we Have another member here That keep's on finding them in his area for the GX300 & X500 series which will cost a Bit More to adapt Then the One You found. Post 18 In this thread 42" hydraulic tiller for 455 -- What exactly do I... should help You with Mounting the Tiller Pump

There are two Hose Brackets/Guides to Buy as well they keep the hoses from dragging on the Ground
M133406 Guide X2
Hardware to Mount Mid frame Guide
Bolt 19M7867 X 1
Nut 14M7298 X1
You will use existing Hardware to Mount the Guide that fits next to the 3point Rock shaft
Green Parts should Have all these Parts as well
( I don't use 3 point rocker shaft Guide as I Have click N Go Brackets and I use one of the quick release Pin Handles as one of the Guides)
(y)

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
If you are new to diesels then you must know that it is fuel and air that make them go. Put in a new air filter and then change out the fuel filter. If it were mine I would remove the rear fender and clean all of the tranny and associated areas. I would also remove the fuel tank and clean it and the intake screen on the pickup pipe. After 30years, I imagine it has collected many things. The 455 is a great machine and will serve you for many years to come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey guys... here are the updates... no pics yet.

New side panels are good to go, Little Buck and Ruegg 3 point hitch are being delivered tomorrow, Titan pallet forks Monday, 42in tiller is still in the back of the truck (need forks and Buck), JD parts are shipping end of week, and the 455 itself is still at TriGreen hopefully to be ready this week! My lawn looks like an over grown clover field, pumpkin and bean seeds are on order, and I've listed a 2012 Nissan Murano along with a 2005 Suzuki SV1000S for sale if anyone is interested! :) Please God let someone buy them!

·
Registered
667 Posts
You might have to be the "poster child" for MTF. You came here thinking a new transaxle for an X300 and now have a diesel powered super garden tractor with a loader, 3PH, and other attachments. A true success story! 🙂

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
You might have to be the "poster child" for MTF. You came here thinking a new transaxle for an X300 and now have a diesel powered super garden tractor with a loader, 3PH, and other attachments. A true success story! 🙂

I agree

You won't be disappointed in the 455. With all everything you getting for it, you'll be a happy man and will find work to do with it.

My 455 is my favorite tractor of all the tractors I have.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
LOL!... not just a super-tractor, but also "sold the bike and car, so I can get more attachments"....
my only question is: can you drive your tractor to get groceries?... if you can - I will say only 2 things:
1. you need the tractor trunk
2. I bow my head in respect

You rule!

LOL!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
HA! Heck yeah! That's a title I'll take with honor! Plus I shook hands on the Murano sale yesterday and hopefully the buyer will pick it up today. That will make me feel better about scope creeping my budget by 400%. Thank God this isn't a Ducati forum...

Now about that tractor trunk!

So appreciative for you guys helping me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
WIth that much garden to take care of you might want to look for a 600-800 Series Ford tractor. Tilling that much area will take a long time. For $3,500 you can probably find a package with most everything you need. Just leave the X300 to mowing duty and use a tractor for the heavy work.
I’m on the same thought process here. A couple years ago I sold my Ford 641 for $1200. It’s an upgraded N series with an overhead valve motor. I sold it to buy a Massey 135 42hp for $1000. I had to put a water pump and starter on it. It pulls a 6’ bush hog with no problem. This spring I bought a NorTrac 4X4 loader for $2000, with 248 hours, 4’ bush hog and grader box, 20 hp 3 cylinder diesel. When I see 318’s, 420’s, 430’s with cabs, loaders and such I think how cool thy are. But, when it comes down to it, the NorTrac could pick them up and dump them in my trailer. I’d rather go big for the job and under work it, than small for the job and overwork it. Since your doing a shared plot, no matter how well you get along with your partner, If he ever winds up using your tractor, he’ll break something. He’ll see you doing stuff and think you just go balls to the walls and rip it out. You work with your machine and can feel what’s going on. I was at a farm auction last year and was going to bid on a Massey 35 with a loader, swap the loader to my 135 and flip th 35 to recoupe some of the cost. I wasn’t paying attention and the 35 sold for $1500. Implements for those small farm tractors are probably cheaper and much more available than good garden tractor implements. Be kind to the x300.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yup, I thought it was interesting!

I'm sure you looked for good deals. But wow, the capacity you got for your dollar is amazing! You got a big machine with a loader for $2k? That's nuts :) You'd pay around that for just a (new) Johnny Bucket Jr for a GT!

I'd expect that location plays a part. If you're in an area of the country where big equipment is more common, that must make things easier to find.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts