My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Carpe DM
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to replace the old Craftsman with a JD for a while, just do not know what is the proper size to get. I have been told by some JD dealings that a LA175 will do the job and others say to get the x300. From what I can tell visually, they look similar. What is the difference if any.

A mow 1.25 arces of somewhat flat land. I have the ditch in the front that is at a 45 degree angle and an approx 20 derees side hill. I need something that can handle to 2 hill for several years.

If I can get the camera out of the wifes hands, I will try to take pictures of the 2 major hills.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
The X300 x500 series are completely different machine compare to the LA series

The X Select Series (X300, X500, and X700) are built to last longer that the LA series.

If you have hill I suggest at minimum to go with the X320 but the best choice will be the X500. :)

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
other than being green and yellow with black tires, they are no where NEAR the same machine! the LA series is built on a cheap weak lawn tractor frame, the X3xx series is built on a robust gradent tractor frame(even thought it is a lawn tractor) with thicker spindles, better steering, and overall higher quality parts/assembly.

go sit on and drive one of each at a dealer. if you still think they are the same let us know.

i agree with the above, if you have a couple steep hills you want to go to the X320 for the better tranny. the X500 is nice, but unless you plan to garden with it or move a bunch of dirt/snow, i don't see it as necessary for barely over an acre.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What model Craftsman do you own? Gear drive or hydro? How long has it lasted? Photo of it? I ask these questions because if your Craftsman has been doing the job, I have absolutely no concerns with the LA175 exceeding your expectations. It's a lot of tractor for he $$$ and would knock out your 1.25 acres in a hurry.

In comparing a X300 and LA175, they are actually very different in build, and share no components. I find it's easier to equate them to trucks - the LA175 is like a loaded Ford Ranger with a big engine and large bed (a la 54" deck). The X300 is like a heavier duty F150 with a modest engine and small bed (42" deck). The F150 (X300) is heavier duty and may last longer, but to get that ruggedness you can't get the big engine, deck, or comforts (LA175). The LA175 provides good performance and capability, but will not last quite a long as it's heavier-duty cousin. Again, if your Craftsman has been doing well, I have no qualms with an LA175 as it leads in that segment in durability.

Or as stladrill suggests, you can find a X3/X5-series also with a 54" deck if cost is not an issue. You always get what you pay for, regardless of brand.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
You will get what you pay for.
A LA series is about 1/2 the cost of a X300.

A LA 175 with a 54 inch deck-List Price: $2,749.00* (USD)
A X300 with a 42 inch deck-$2,999.00* (USD)
Holy cow, I did not realize they were that close in price.
A no brainer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get the x300 its so close in price, its a no brainer. They are both good units i dont understand why JD would even make a unit so close to the X series in price...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Get the x300 its so close in price, its a no brainer. They are both good units i dont understand why JD would even make a unit so close to the X series in price...
:ditto::ditto:

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
No doubt, I didn't understand it either.
Because you'd be a fool to pay list price for an LA at a big box. Every February when they're trying to clear them out, they're going to list them for 20% off. (I got my LA150 for around $2200)

At list price, the X300 is a no-brainer for the higher-end components and the longer warranty. At "full discount" prices, it gets murkier.

How much does the 54" deck add to the cost of the X300? that's hasn't been discussed.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Get a used LX or GT and save a ton of money.

I bought a X320, new, when we moved to our place on 2.3 acres.

Had I taken a little time and looked around I would have bought a used tractor.
I've since bought 2 used Garden Tractors for less than I paid for my X320 Lawn Tractor.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
Can't get a 54 inch deck on a X300.
Keep in mind that both the X300 deck and the LA decks are the same.
I thought that someone posted at some point about getting their dealer to put a 54" deck on their X3xx. But I could be mistaken.

So that would be a category in which the LA actually "wins."

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
Get a used LX or GT and save a ton of money.

I bought a X320, new, when we moved to our place on 2.3 acres.

Had I taken a little time and looked around I would have bought a used tractor.
I've since bought 2 used Garden Tractors for less than I paid for my X320 Lawn Tractor.

I wish I had done this. I would have ended up with a SWEET 318 if I had done my homework. (because it would have been in my budget.)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I wish I had done this. I would have ended up with a SWEET 318 if I had done my homework. (because it would have been in my budget.)
My X320 will probably be sold once I finish cleaning up the 420 I picked up recently. I'll take a hit on it when I sell, but in the end, I'll end up with 2 used Garden Tractors instead of one new Lawn Tractor.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
If your in a hurry to mow your lawn the LA175 will do it quicker, only thing I don`t care for is the motor under the hood of the LA175, I don`t like Briggs power unless it a Vanguard. In 2006 I bought a left over G110 still in it`s shipping crate. The G110 is the same as the LA175, at the time the new 190C was the G110 replacement. JD had a very hard time selling the G110 for $3,695.00, I bought mine for $1,200.00 less, they had a L130 for $2,000.00, but was a returned lawn tractor.

I have had only one problem with this tractor, the belt tensioner idler support breaks, my fault trying to mulch to many leafs at one time. I use this mower commercially so this shouldn't effect you, if your just mowing lawn. I`ve asked here if any others have ever had this same problem, never got a reply, so it has to be the way I`m using it.

I was very surprised how well this mower cut my lawns, I now use Gator mulching blades on it, better then what came with, Gator last longer and are less costly too. The ride is very good you got big rear tires to smooth out the bumps and the seat is very comfortable, not the low back seat, I`m no light weight either. Got 270 hours on it now, also have a JD electric broadcast spreader for it. I do spring and fall clean up`s towing a 42" high speed sweeper with the 18 bushel hopper I use a 1-7/8" ball hitch instead of the noise hitch pin, it not bad on slope.

I have used this Lawn Tractor to cut 2' tall over grown lawn at least 5 time. Some customer never learn, the city must have told them get it cut, or we will and bill you. after 3 passes is was cut down, not the prettiest sight, but thats what they wanted. It would have looked better if it was picked up.

One reason for getting it was it was brand new at a very big discount at a box store (HD) it a had a good motor in it, a 25hp Kohler Command and a 54" mower deck. I don`t know why JD had got to keep changing model #`s the parts guys must get really tired of that. Orders a set of blades at the dealers once and they were what the computer called for. Got home and they were the wrong ones, The Star Lock blade system is on the LA series tractor just like they are on the low end X300 lawn tractors with the 38" and 42" mower decks.

Now to get X300 series with a 54" mower deck, you need to get X340 now the price has jumped right up to $4,749.00 that is what the JD web site list it for. Sure you get a lot of tractor for that money. Now the LA175 lists for $2,749.00, now that simple theres a $2,000.00 difference. If I were you and you wanted to save money on your first lawn tractor get the LA165 it has the 48" mower deck the bagging attachment is only $349.0 for the 48" mower deck with the 54" mower you need a powered bagger attachment JD doesn't list the price but it around $850. best price I`ve found. Now the LA165 lists for $2,549.00 I think the 48" mower deck is more useful the the 54" mower deck. Lot of L series owner are here and most have a 48" mower deck, or the 42", you should be alright with the Briggs motor your not mowing everyday and shouldn't rack up the hours, just grease it change the oil and filter ever 50 hours take care of it. Good luck to you with what ever your choose.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
Can't get a 54 inch deck on a X300.
Keep in mind that both the X300 deck and the LA decks are the same.

no they ain't. the X3xx uses the same decks as the X5xx, the LA uses the cheaper thinner decks. you CAN get a 54" on a X300, but not as a factory option. you have to order the tractor with no deck and order a 54" deck and hangers seperately. it will cost way more, but can be done.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I would say X320 minimum. The hill will kill the K46 in both the X300 and LA175. So to have tractor last 20-30 years or more go with the X320 or better yet X500. To get the 54" deck you have to have a X340, X360, or X500. What else do you plan on doing other than mowing? (Haul trailer, move snow, Garden, Grading, ETC)

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
per jdparts:

am14013 42 mower deck for x300
am14024 42C deck for X300 both use the U shaped hanger the X500 does

gy21207 42 deck for LA135--uses the flimsy hanger the older L series does.

i can tell you from 1st hand experience the cut quality is way different. the only thing similar about the 2 decks is that they are both yellow.

sorry, but they are not the same deck.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
the X3xx uses the same decks as the X5xx, the LA uses the cheaper thinner decks.
Sir, I just pointed out to you that this statement is wrong.
I posted that the thickness of the two decks are not the same.
Then, in another post, you no longer say the decks are thinner.
But you still say the decks are different, maybe they are, but I am pointing out to you that the thickness is definitely is not the same, as you said they were in a earlier post.:trink39:
Bottom line, the LA deck is the same thickness as the X300 deck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts