My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe its a 2007 and has 2100 hours on it. It was given to me for free in the summer of 2018 so I couldnt say no. Air filter, oil, filter, spark plug and fuel filter changed in 2018. It ran fine all last summer and this whole summer as well. Replaced the battery 2 months ago.

She really has been trouble free expect for the belt jumping off when I lower the deck below 2.5". Cant figure that one out

Last weekend I started her up, backed her out the shed and was attemping to clean it up for winter storage. I may have gotten water from the hose somewhere that I shouldnt have but she wouldnt start up after I was done cleaning. The noise in the video is what you hear. Can anyone diagnose that based off the noise?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Sounds like a starter problem. It sounds like the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the bendix gear. Remove the plastic shroud on the engine and that will expose the top of the starter where it engages the flywheel. I think you'll know more after you see what's happening there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's a bad starter solenoid. Replace the starter.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The solenoid function is built into the starter, hence my statement. These starters are similar to the old Dodge high speed starters where centrifugal force moved the pinion forward to engage with the flywheel. Not really a solenoid, just old school reference to that section of the starter.

·
Blank Space
3,016 Posts
Sounds like a starter problem. It sounds like the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the bendix gear. Remove the plastic shroud on the engine and that will expose the top of the starter where it engages the flywheel. I think you'll know more after you see what's happening there.
Just look through the top of the fan/screen (top of the engine) and he should be able to see if the fins are turning or not.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Just look through the top of the fan/screen (top of the engine) and he should be able to see if the fins are turning or not.
You can already see in the video that the flywheel is not turning but you can hear the starter motor turning yet it is not engaging the bendix gear. The problem is definitely the starter. It may have something broken or the bendix gear may just be stuck. It happens. Once he removes the shroud he should be able to see what the bendix is doing. It may just need to be tapped gently with a hammer. Either way, the shroud has to come off. It's very easy to do as it's only held on by a few bolts.

An OEM starter will cost over $200 but I saw some 3rd party replacements advertised for around $66.

I wouldn't recommend spending the money on a new starter until you verify why the old one isn't working.

·
Father Deerest
2,716 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying with the exception that the starter is spinning so that's not the problem just the gear isn't engaging. Take the top off the starter and clean the bendix use a light oil to get it all spinning again, it's an easy fix just take your time and inspect all parts and re-assemble, no money involved just simple hand tools and time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying with the exception that the starter is spinning so that's not the problem just the gear isn't engaging. Take the top off the starter and clean the bendix use a light oil to get it all spinning again, it's an easy fix just take your time and inspect all parts and re-assemble, no money involved just simple hand tools and time.
Yup, no need to buy a starter just yet. Take off whatever's in the way of you having a clear view of the starter drive and have a look while you or a helper turn the key. As stated by others, it's likely a little light lubrication will free up the pinion gear so that it can travel upwards and mesh with the flywheel ring gear.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yup, no need to buy a starter just yet. Take off whatever's in the way of you having a clear view of the starter drive and have a look while you or a helper turn the key. As stated by others, it's likely a little light lubrication will free up the pinion gear so that it can travel upwards and mesh with the flywheel ring gear.

I agree to this. 1/2 hour of work, 2 beers, and a can of WD40. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before you do ANYTHING.:tango_face_wink:

·
Father Deerest
2,716 Posts
I agree to this. 1/2 hour of work, 2 beers, and a can of WD40. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before you do ANYTHING.:tango_face_wink:
Definitely safety first!! Bring the beer closer so you don't stumble and fall.... oh yeah and the battery :tango_face_devil::tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Appreciate the suggestions. I wont be able to get out there until the weekend but I will report back what I find

On another note, any ideas why the belt falls off when I lower the deck below 2.5" ?

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you disconnect the battery you won't be able to observe the starter in operation.
That's correct Sherlock. Why does that matter when you're pulling it out to attempt a repair? Maybe to destroy some other electrical component, start a fire, hurt yourself? At least disconnect the battery while you pull out the starter. It can be re-attached after the starter is out of the tractor if absolutely needed.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
By the way, you only need to disconnect the ground wire from the battery.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
That's correct Sherlock. Why does that matter when you're pulling it out to attempt a repair? Maybe to destroy some other electrical component, start a fire, hurt yourself? At least disconnect the battery while you pull out the starter. It can be re-attached after the starter is out of the tractor if absolutely needed.
I agree. But before removing the starter the OP should first remove the shroud and observe what the starter is doing when the ignition key is turned. If it's just the bendix that is sticking it probably doesn't even have to be removed to lubricate. On the other hand, if the bendix gear is broken then he'll know right away that it will need to be removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts