My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put the X300 and my free red trailer to work hauling some hefty pieces of red oak that I had cut down last weekend and cut up today. I was only able to pull two loads because the old tire on the trailer had a blow out half way into the second load. The k46 wasn't whining too bad (fairly level terrain) until that old 2 ply tire blew, it wasn't very happy after that so I called it quits until I can replace that tire. I just replaced the tire on the other side on Friday and I knew I should have just done them both at the same time but oh well - live and learn. This trailer will be green with John Deere stickers on it very very soon!

By the way, this was cut with the Husky 450 that someone was asking about before.

Pics are from my cell phone so I'm not sure how good they are.

·
Registered
441 Posts
nice pics - thanks for sharing

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cutting wood in Maine, I wish I could help!! Good pics for a cell!!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Looks like that cart is handling that load ok. slkpk

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cart was holding up fine until that old tire gave out. When it was given to me one of the tires didn't hold air at all so I replaced it with a 4 ply tire buy this other one seemed fine, held air and no noticable cracks. Well there must have been a weak spot somewhere because half way through the second load II noticed the k46 whining pretty good so I stoped to make sure everything was ok and noticed that old tire had given up the ghost. I think I was pushing the X300 with those loads but it handled it ok since the terrain is fairly flat. I wouldn't want to try going up any hill on it with that load. Probably lessen the loads a little next time - don't want to be SOL with a dead trans. :duh:

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
I see that red oak on your trailer and I cry! What nice lumber I could saw out of that stuff!
you would have been in hog heaven here last fall then. i cannot tell you how many loads of red oak we cut up for firewood. i know i got 6 cords of wood, though not all of it was red oak. my inlaws got at least that much too. the only reason we did not get more is that was all any of us needed. all it cost us was time to cut it up, the loggers had already laid the timber out in skids. their only requirement was that if we started to cut a log we had to cut that log up completely so it did not screw up teh truck loading.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that red oak on your trailer and I cry! What nice lumber I could saw out of that stuff!
It is great wood that is for sure. In total we have 30 acres of family land here mostly wooded with a ton of red oak, white oak, maple, birch, pine, spruce, etc. I cut the oak for fire wood mostly (was nice not buying heating oil all winter!) but also to make more room for the maple trees because we do our own maple syrup - great stuff. Not sure if anyone else does or not but I love the smell of freshly cut red oak.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You should see how much of the stuff goes to China. A friend of runs a family
owned dry kiln and everything they dry goes into shipping containers bound
for China. Oak, Maple, Basswood, you name it. Personally I only burn trees
that have blown down, died or it was something in the way of progress. I
haven't cut a tree down solely to burn it for firewood in over 25 years. I'm no
tree hugger but there's too much stuff out there to just find a tree and say
hey this will make good firewood.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You should see how much of the stuff goes to China. A friend of runs a family
owned dry kiln and everything they dry goes into shipping containers bound
for China. Oak, Maple, Basswood, you name it. Personally I only burn trees
that have blown down, died or it was something in the way of progress. I
haven't cut a tree down solely to burn it for firewood in over 25 years. I'm no
tree hugger but there's too much stuff out there to just find a tree and say
hey this will make good firewood.
I'm with you there about cutting live trees. I try to cut as few as possible, usually I'll pick out one or two niced sized oaks per season and the rest of my wood are blow downs or trees people ask me to take down for them. I am thinking about clearing a small wooded area out back of my house to open things up back there since it's really grown in over the years and is narrowing the opening down into the field outback. Only reason I haven't done it is because I hate to cut the trees but if I don't I'll lose acces to the field and the view before I know it. Nothing like looking out the back window and seeing a moose or some deer out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is great wood that is for sure. In total we have 30 acres of family land here mostly wooded with a ton of red oak, white oak, maple, birch, pine, spruce, etc. I cut the oak for fire wood mostly (was nice not buying heating oil all winter!) but also to make more room for the maple trees because we do our own maple syrup - great stuff. Not sure if anyone else does or not but I love the smell of freshly cut red oak.
Count me in for liking the smell of freshly cut red oak. :fing32: I like a lot of the wood smells and sometimes it even helps me to ID the species. Just don't cut any old elm around me. Bleeyuck!

Nice pics, BTW. :00000033:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang no moose here, but we have Groundhogs, Coyotes and Deer.
I'm in southern Maine about an hour and 45 minute drive north of Boston so seeing moose is actually pretty rare but we have very a large swampy area here in the town I'm in and some of it is out back in the woods not all that far from my house. When you go out there you see moose droppings and tracks all over the place. We've only seen them one time and there were 3 of them - 1 bull and 2 cows. The cows came right almost into our backyard and the bull stayed down in the field. It was cool to see them but I wouldn't want to run into one in the woods. We also have some black bear around here - I've never seen one but they have destroyed our bird feeders a few times and left tracks. This past fall I saw a Fisher Cat out near the swamp while deer hunting. Vicious lookng little creature. Funny thing is that the only trigger I pull when I go hunting is on my camera. Maybe I'll stop bringing my gun with me this year.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Boy!! I remember the day I hauled a LOAD of dirt with my Lowes $100 cart and bent the axle!
Of course I always wanted to get as much on as I could and it was my fault.
I think they are rated for 500 lb
I remember buying (and then selling it) a JD cart.
I paid $280 for it new, in the 80's and thought I was buying a caddy. It was the best cart I have ever had and well worth the $.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I am still looking for a deal to come up on a bigger trailer. Also could use another pulling tractor as the MMM clearance doesn't let me go off the beaten path. I made some mods to be able to lift the MMM an extra inch which helps. Taking it off is too much of a PITA.

Right now, I haul mostly with my little poly cart.

When I get serious, I borrow my neighbor's trailer.

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
What species of Red Oak is that? It doesn't look like Northern Red Oak for some reason. Is it Scarlett Oak perhaps??

Sorry, I am a nerdy forester and just have to know.:fing32:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I
haven't cut a tree down solely to burn it for firewood in over 25 years.
I don't think I ever have. But I don't need to as something is killing the red oak trees on my property. I think the severe drought over the 2 years before this one had something to do with it. I already have enough wood for this year and next and there are still half a dozen more dead ones to work on.
That will give me something to do this fall and winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts