My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard time checking the gas level on my X300. I haven't had any luck on a gas gauge so another idea is to put some bright colored plastic balls in the tank that will float at the gas level and be seen easier. Think about 1 inch balls would be good.
Any opinions or other ideas?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Before you put anything into the tank better be absolutely certain that the material is impervious to, and will not be softened by gasoline and alcohol exposure over a long period of time. Otherwise you could end up with a real mess on your hands.

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably not a good idea. Chances are the plastic will deteriorate and clog your fuel system. I would maybe use a stick/ruler to check the level if that's possible.
No sticking - the tank shape is not good. I've been using the X300 for 12 years now and never ran out of gas, keep filling it up. I checked types of plastic balls and Ploypropylene seems to be gas proof and what they make gas cans out of. Might get some and put one in a jar of gas for a couple weeks as a test.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd keep doing what you're doing since it's been working that long. It seems there are different ways to make any given kind of plastic, and you don't want a surprise mess as others have mentioned.

I've gone through a couple of different kinds of "gasoline-resistant" rubber gaskets on gas caps for gas cans. Yeah, they weren't very resistant. One disintegrated and fell into the gas in the can; fortunately the pieces were still big enough to fish out.

Deere finally improved that with a fuel gauge on 2016+ X300 and X500.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have an X300. The tank is not as transparent as it once was, but I can still tell if it really needs gas or not. After twice running out of gas, I am now much more careful about how much gas is left before heading out.

You might try cleaning the exterior of the tank and get some dye.

They even have green, but black would probably offer much better contrast. You probably don't need a lot of dye to make a difference in visibility.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think I might stick with your strategy of just topping off after each use. There isnt an aftermkt cap with a built in gauge available? I don't think I'd roll the dice of putting something in the gas tank that didnt belong there, but thats just me.

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only mow about a half to 3/4 of an hour each time so with the 4 or 5 gallon tank I only top off about 3 times a year :rolleyes:
Here is a picture of the tank showing why any gauge in the fill cap won't work.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I only mow about a half to 3/4 of an hour each time so with the 4 or 5 gallon tank I only top off about 3 times a year :rolleyes:
Here is a picture of the tank showing why any gauge in the fill cap won't work.
You're using less gas than you think! It's only a 3.5 gallon tank.

Reactions: X300owner

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like all the answers, but still like the "Balls" solution for about $7. Just need to get the right balls :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
These might not be big enough, but they are rated and FAA approved:

These are not approved by anyone and probably won't be very visible (unless you paint them), but they are cheap:

If you drink wine (and you have saved all the corks from years past) you could use them. They used to use cork as a float material.

You could try ping pong balls, but not sure the glue will hold up, long term.

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This might be a possibility also but would need a hand inside the tank.

·
Rich
2010 Deere X300 42 deck
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After having one ping pong ball submerged in Gasoline for over a week, all is good, no melting or discoloration. I even did a bounce test - comparing the gas one against a new ball and they bounced the same. Since I'm in no hurry I will wait a little longer - probably a month. Will let you know how it goes and pictures.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
My X500 and X540 both have gauges and I run out all the time. I'm just happy if it happens close to the tractor shed. Actually, when it happens to me, I usually take the can off the truck to top off the tank. A customer comes out and I wind up talking to them and forget to top off. I get to the next lawn and go, "where's my gas can"? Say some bad word's, and hope I finish before I run out. Win some, lose some.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Deere finally improved that with a fuel gauge on 2016+ X300 and X500.
I believe that the X500 series has always had a fuel gauge. My 2008 X500 and 2015 X530 both came from the factory with fuel gauges. My 2010 X304 did not.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Then it's a shame that they didn't include one on X300 as well.

2016 is when X300 and X500 both got a new LCD instrument panel, which includes a fuel gauge, a number of other indicators, and on-board diagnostic code display.
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Circle

(1) Bagger Full on X350R; (2) Fuel; (3) PTO on when solid, turned off by a safety when flashing; (4) Parking brake on when solid, flashes when something cut off by brake safety; (5) voltmeter; (6) flashes when something cut off by seat safety; (7) hourmeter; normally displayed all the time but a DTC code is shown in the picture instead; (8) service needed, DTC code present; (9) low oil pressure indicator; (10) check engine indicator; (11) RPM, (12) optimal RPM range for mowing.

Reactions: X300owner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts