My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm critical of the X300 for being a light duty lawn tractor due to its K46 transaxle and small turf tires but at the same time I know it is a great lawn tractor and does what it's meant for very very well. It's not the X300's fault that it's not made for what I want it to do sometimes, it's my fault for not buying a more capable tractor in the first place.

So to show my appreciation for the X300 I took two quick pics with my cell phone earlier this evening of it hauling some wood pallets down to where my wood pile is so I can stack my fire wood on them. I hauled about 15 of these pallets in total. The trailer was a freeby and was red when I got it. As you can see I painted it John Deere green and yellow and have some nice decals to add when I get around to it.

I have to say if I only needed a Lawn Tractor I would have nothing else than the X300.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I know I'm critical of the X300 for being a light duty lawn tractor due to its K46 transaxle and small turf tires but at the same time I know it is a great lawn tractor and does what it's meant for very very well. It's not the X300's fault that it's not made for what I want it to do sometimes, it's my fault for not buying a more capable tractor in the first place.

So to show my appreciation for the X300 I took two quick pics with my cell phone earlier this evening of it hauling some wood pallets down to where my wood pile is so I can stack my fire wood on them. I hauled about 15 of these pallets in total. The trailer was a freeby and was red when I got it. As you can see I painted it John Deere green and yellow and have some nice decals to add when I get around to it.

I have to say if I only needed a Lawn Tractor I would have nothing else than the X300.

Nice shots. I have to say, I'm not sure what I like more about my X320 - the transmission or in all seriousness the wider/bigger tires. I didn't think they'd amount to a hill of beans, but over my rough yard it smooths it out a lot better. Less bouncin' in the saddle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bigger tires would do a lot for the X300. Smother ride like you said and increased traction which is usually it's problem when stuck. The tires will spin but loose traction very quickly. I have made it up a few inclines like in the photo below that I was surprised to make it up quite easily and then some I was surprised to loose traction on.

By the way, if my deck looks really close to the ground it's because it's almost a full inch too low although it is level. Been like that since I got it, I always suspected it was too low but only confirmed it last weekend. I'm going to fix it tomorrow.

Hard to tell in this picture but where you can see the tire mark in the leaves is going up hill.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
albertj03,

Great shots of your x300 in action. :thanku: for the pics.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice pics! :fing32:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johndeere - yours is a custom job too? Looks the same but I think your trailer is bigger. No idea what make mine is but from the red paint I think maybe an older craftsman.

Very nice 318 it's hooked onto by the way.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You're actually in a good position albertj03. You have a top of the line riding mower for getting the main business done, and can get a fixer-upper GT for a bargain price to work on at your leisure.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!

D-Dog - you're absolutely right. Having a dedicated mower and a dedicated workhorse would be ideal. The problem right now is that I don't have any where to store a second tractor until we build a garage which could be very soon so once that happens it will open up some options for me. At the moment I keep the X300 down at my mother in-law's garage who lives just down the street. Our property is connected by a field out back so I drive up through the field.

I'm lookin forward to later in the fall or in the spring when I'll in the hunt for a workhorse. Whether I keep the X300 or not will depend on what I find. If it's a $1,500 318 I would keep it. If it's a $3,000 425, $4,000 GX335, etc I probably won't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.