My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,
A neighbor bought this X 740 about 3 years ago. The tractor reportedly running for 997 hours.
Last week this damage happened.
How did damage this come about. Why is gear broken at this point?
IMG_0871.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
That looks like something (bolt/part/or a broken off piece of something) fell to the bottom of that case, and the visible gear happened to catch it and pressed it against the housing, breaking that chunk out of the housing. You'd probably have to disassemble it to find what the piece was, if spinning the visible gear doesn't show a chunk missing from it.

IDK if it's still under warranty, your neighbor might want to find out if it is...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, my english is too bad.
as a neighbor bought tractor 3 years ago, tractor has run 997 hours.
the tractor is 10 years old, no guarantee.
the gearbox housing is very expensive. and don't know reason why broken.
it is very unusual that the rear axle is defective after 1200 hours

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Sure it's unusual, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Maybe some part wasn't 100% manufactured right, or a defect in the material, or the user put too much stress on the tractor doing something, or some combination of these happened. You'll have to take it apart and see what, if anything, has broken/come apart/failed and it may give you some idea of how it happened, but you may also not find out, if say, something fell into the gearbox (a small pebble, or a nut/bolt/washer when it was being assembled or repaired) and then fell out when the case broke.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Here I’ve seen used transaxles from $650 and up. Did tractor bottom out crossing over a high object?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no used parts in Germany, no chance.
The tractor is equipped with MCS 580 and is very heavy when filled.
no object was run over.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,415 Posts
Might not cause the problem, but appears there was also an oil leak.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That is very unfortunate. You will probably never really know why it happened. It does look like there was excessive pressure from the inside of the case that was relieved by the case fracturing. It is also fairly unusual for the transaxle in an X700 series to fail, especially like that.

I don't know the market in Germany, but a failure like that might be enough to "total" the machine for most people. It is probably more money to fix in parts and labor than the machine would be worth. A new transaxle is many thousands of dollars. The few used ones I have seen are still a few thousand dollars. If you have the ability to do the work and don't count the value of your time, it can be worth fixing.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I agree with Dave_r's assessment. That missing piece of case shows signs of it being broken "outward" not hit and broken inward. His observation that a bolt, nut, or other internal piece came loose and was lodged between the gear and the case causing the case to fail as shown, seems to make sense. (If that visible internal part is in fact a gear).

If no parts are readily available, there seems one logical next step. Remove and disassemble the transmission, carefully inspecting the insides for any missing bolts, nuts, or anything out of place. Alternatively, this would be a long shot, but if the owner can locate the place where the failure happened, there should be a lot of hydraulic fluid spilled. Perhaps he can find the parts that were expelled when the case broke open by searching around the fluid spill? If found, the part might tell what failed internally.

If the missing internal part such as a nut or bolt can be replaced, and no other internal damage is found, the case might be repaired by a welder qualified to work in aluminum. With the hole being in the middle of the case's pan, I'm not sure if an epoxy repair would hold or not, would depend on whether that part of the case is subject to pressure or whether it is just a pan meant to hold the fluid not under pressure.

I realize that there are a lot of "ifs" but in the absence of parts or replacement transmissions, I'd try all of the above and anything else to see if this can be repaired and put back into service, even if limited service.

Good luck, and if possible, keep us informed on how your neighbor proceeds.

Reactions: The German

·
Registered
470 Posts
One might say that 997 hours in 3 years seems like a lot in 3 years------also some one said it had a leak on the case----and it looks like it has had a leak for a long time---if oil had not been refilled then the part might have broke because of running low of oil. Don't look like a lot of fluid was lost when chunk broke out just in what i can see on case --I know most could have been lost on ground but ---maybe not-----Just saying.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
One might say that 997 hours in 3 years seems like a lot in 3 years------also some one said it had a leak on the case----and it looks like it has had a leak for a long time---if oil had not been refilled then the part might have broke because of running low of oil. Don't look like a lot of fluid was lost when chunk broke out just in what i can see on case --I know most could have been lost on ground but ---maybe not-----Just saying.
The O.P. indicated it was a used tractor, and the current owner only has had it for 3 years, that 1000 hrs was put on over 10 years...

As for repairing it, the spot that failed doesn't look structural (as in, important for the strength of the case), so you could probably just braze something in place to hold the oil in, after fixing what, if anything, has broken inside the transmission.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The O.P. indicated it was a used tractor, and the current owner only has had it for 3 years, that 1000 hrs was put on over 10 years...

As for repairing it, the spot that failed doesn't look structural (as in, important for the strength of the case), so you could probably just braze something in place to hold the oil in, after fixing what, if anything, has broken inside the transmission.
I guess it is hard for me to read between the lines??????Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
A close look at the break shows a crack running down the left side of the 'window'. Its unclear how far it goes, but since the bolt lands in the boss that grows out of this piece, it might be stressed in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
How close is a x949 that is not sold in the US ? I know it’s an all wheel steer tractor, however, reuse your axles
Did know if used x949 are available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I guess it is hard for me to read between the lines??????Thanks
I'm suggesting to at least take the gearbox apart and see what's wrong with it, and if you can get the parts to fix it at a reasonable cost, as you should be able to fairly cheaply fix the case by brazing a piece of metal over the hole so you don't have to buy a new case.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think so either, the classified ad isn't online yet. speak to dealer next week

·
Super Moderator
13,328 Posts
The most common cause of that type of break is a tooth on the differential gear tooth has come off and gone through the case. A case from a 415-455 should work as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
German,

My 455 just started making bad noises in the rear diff this weekend. I bought a used rear end that I will swap in. Depending on what I find wrong, I may have a used housing available. I have colleagues in Krefeld and shipping could be arranged. Let us know if your neighbor comes down to a reasonable price and you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts