My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this Stator(Center).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas

from Amazon thinking it would work on my Kohler K321. The Flywheel has a ring of Magnets screwed in the center of it that will not fit the Stator. I have looked but haven't seen the Old Style Stator for sale anywhere. Does anyone have a source for the Stator or possibly a Flywheel?
Thanks

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
1,197 Posts
Somebody had that magnet ring fabricated and installed into that flywheel. Kohler never made their flywheels like that. They had their magnets epoxied fast to the inside of their flywheels.
Someone probably had that custom made because they got tired of the original magnets coming loose inside the flywheel.
Kohler flywheels were well known for the epoxy drying out and failing to secure the magnets over time. Either the epoxy didn't adhere properly, or the magnet broke loose from the epoxy with part of the backing of the magnet still glued fast to the flywheel and the rest of the magnet broken away from it.
The older engines were notorious for that problem, and it still happens on the newer engines.
They knew over the years that they used a bad epoxy and tried to use a better epoxy in later engines. They also had problems with their magnets breaking apart and had to change the materials used in their manufacture.
The 'Old Style' Stator's are still available. There are several places that still sell them. Maybe not from Kohler, but there are many rebuilt Stators that you can still get from many different sources.
A lot of good Starter and Generator rebuild shops can rebuild and 'Re-Wind' them for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts