My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an old pushmower from a friend of mine. It was really old...like from the mid 80s or so. He said his grandparents used it for a couple years before buying a Murray riding mower in 1988. (I got that too...perfect condition, Im resto modding it.) Anyway, this pushmower turned out to be a self-propelled Snapper, with satan as the motor. (Tecumseh)

Well, for some reason I pulled it out of my shop today to see if it would run. Replaced the broken pull chord, added some old gas I had and pushed the primer on the carb till I saw a little drip out of the intake.

"Here goes nothing" I thought...and yanked the rope. Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce you to the "one-pull-wonder"! :eek:mg:

Yes...after sitting for just over 20 friggin years, she started first pull. I still cant believe it! This one I am keeping. Hopefully every time I use it it'll remind me that not all tecumsehs are crap, like the one on my craftsman rer...

I plan to clean her all up new looking and use her to cut my front lawn. The self propel system works flawlessly. I love it. Its its its....amazing to say the least.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,446 Posts
Believe it or not,I actually have had a few Tecumsehs that started on the first pull--one very similar to yours on a Craftsman push mower with an early "Eager-1" engine,that had the "pull up" starter!..that thing fired up fisrt time every time,even after being left in my shed for years-I decided to yard sale it,and the guy said "does it run"?-- I said "should,it ran when I stashed it away 5 years ago"--5 YEARS!..he began to walk away,and I said "hey.I have some gas,lets see if it still runs"..he looked spetical,but waited while I filled it and sure enough it took one good yank and it fired right up..

I have a 5 HP "Eska" Tecumseh off a snowblower that often starts with one pull,even after sitting a year,its on a home built leaf blower I made from an old hot air furnace squirrel cage fan now..thing has blown more snow and leaves than you can imagine..

I have some other Tecumsehs that USED to start easily and run well,that aren't faring so well though..

BTW,I think I saw a gearbox just like your Snapper has in my shed, I parted one just like it out that had a Tecumseh,and another with a smokey B&S..think I lost the drive disc setup though..

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was surprised as heck when it started. I have three other tecumsehs that are giving me problems. Ones a carb issue...another has carb and spark issues..and another is....i think another carb issue. lol

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this earlier...but while I was testing it out, I had an idea. What if...I made a sulky for it!? Its defiantly got the power...Just dont know about the frame. Id need to make a drawbar...hitch thing. I will find a way. When I do, I'll post pics!

Yup...Ive gone insane. lol

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
I have an identical mower, that I bought new in 1984. I have used it many, many hours, and have spent exactly $0.00 on repairs. Not even a spark plug! Everything is original on it. It is semi-retired now, I just use it on occasion for trimming. I have sharpened the blade on occasion, and I did have to open the carb to reseat the needle valve seat. The seat would creep down and shut off the gas flow. This machine is amazing, and still looks pretty good, too. It is a good starter, too. It has the electric start, but the battery died long ago, and I never bothered replacing it.
This mower has mowed lots of lawn, mulched and bagged tons of leaves, and cut grass taller than it is. It owes me nothing. I wish everything I owned was this good!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,446 Posts
I dont think its beefy enough to put a sulky on it!..the rubber tire drive wheel or the skinny v-belt (or both) will burn up quickly if you try that..might need my spare gearbox too!..I'd just be glad it starts and runs good,and enjoy using it..those decks are almost the same as the old Toro "snail" shell design,and cut very nicely,and works well with a bagger..

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think its beefy enough to put a sulky on it!..the rubber tire drive wheel or the skinny v-belt (or both) will burn up quickly if you try that..might need my spare gearbox too!..I'd just be glad it starts and runs good,and enjoy using it..those decks are almost the same as the old Toro "snail" shell design,and cut very nicely,and works well with a bagger..
Hmmm...you might be on to something there. I did try and hold it back and I actually had a tough time doing so without lifting up on it. Nothing slipped at all... thats what had me thinking that it might work. I'll do some test and get back to ya on that.

I am glad it starts and runs good. I did notice that it cut better than most of my others.

on a side note...and on a different mower (briggs). what would make one run rich with gas in the tank...but when theres barely any in there, right before it cuts off it runs great? turning the mixture screw does nothing. Time for a new diaphragm isnt it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its similar to one of the ones I have.It has to be one of the nicest push mowers Ive used.I just picked a 2nd one up the other day for $25 from the origional owner who still had all the manuals to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts