Votes: 153 99.4%
  • pay a professional

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Uncle Willie
523 Posts
Yeah, because their lights never worked. For that matter I don't think anything they built worked.:thSick:
Lucas electrics - the reason Brits drink warm beer.
I have been accused of that more than once.

I can handle about anything that comes up. Together with a couple of friends there isn't much we can't handle. Since I hurt my back I have started letting someone do work for me. I wasn't about to pull the huge heads off of the 454 engine in the BlueOx. I let a younger guy handle all that while I drank the beer in his fridge and smoked cigars in his shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
DIY kinda guy. I've learned some expensive lessons too but down the road those lessons paid off.

Here's my son's truck project were building. He learning to be a DIY guy too.

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Thats two of us

I have learn that there is one thing about electronics.......everyone thinks it runs on electricity, it doesn't. electronics run on smoke, you can't see it in there, but thats how it works.

I know because, if you let the smoke out, it never works again......thats how I know!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You talk like someone who is familiar with Lucas Electronics! That's their unofficial motto! By: Rusty Jones

·
Registered
383 Posts
I generally do it myself but will occasionally work some deals to get help if needed. I am a terrible welder. :) i try but its not pretty.

·
John Deere 445
295 Posts
Nothing like blasting along on a vintage Triumph motorcycle, at night, when all of a sudden all of the lights go dark. Only to come on again as you've managed a panic stop to check your pants!

Lucas--Prince of Darkness.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
god said "let there be light" , Joe Lucas wired it and that's why we have day and night ....

wood, steel, fiberglass , electronics, programming , stone, cement, ... do it all ....

do your research , plan it out , mock up the things that need "figuring out"

what's the worst that can happen ? it doesn't work, and you start again.... and no matter what, you've learned something .....

don't be afraid of failure ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to work in a locomotive and rail car repair shop as a welder fabricator, my company takes care of a fleet of aluminum hopper cars and steel box cars as well as any other rail car repair, and also locomotives, before that I worked on the tracks as a working Forman, so laying out track bed with heavy equipment. Before that I was a mechanic at a Cadillac, gmc truck dealership.

Soo I can ya I can fab most anything I try to do with metal and wood, and layout ground for excavation and grading, but I don't think I could build a doghouse with wood alone and have it safe for a dog with terminal cancer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's either DIY, or DW (Do without) in my house!

My dad was a good carpenter and stone mason, but was clueless about mechanical stuff. So I did all the maintenance on the family vehicles.

I'm good with electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and a fair carpenter, but can't lay block or stone even with guidance! Funny how that worked out...

My big problem is time (work two jobs) and the fact that I work SLOW. I over think the job a lot...

·
Dabbler
6 Posts
I am fortunate, (cursed), that I am able to do anything that will fit in my shop, on my milling machine, or on my computer.

What I can do:
1. Design - AutoCAD, Dry erase, napkin, drawing board.
2. Electrical - AC/DC, Single or Poly phase, milli volts to 480.
3. Electronics - Analog to Digital, binary to logic, ladder logic and pc design.
4. Hydraulics -
5. Pneumatics - Built and installed 5,000 PSI compressors on US Navy ships.
6. Welding - MIG, TIG, Arc, Gas
7. Mechanical - Chainsaws to bulldozers.
8. Plus I used to be a licensed General Contractor, so I get plenty of honey dos.

What I can't do:
1. Sit back and watch someone work.
2. Keep my hands clean.
3. Turn down or give up on a challenge.
4. Stop buying tools.
5. Stop adding on to my shop.

What I hate to do:
1. Painting
2. Digging (by hand)
3. Plumbing

What I like to do:
1. Retired young, so I have a shop that I employ all of my skills.
2. Enjoy life to the best of my ability, stay happy.
3. Try to be dependable and treat people right.
4. Build guitars as a hobby, I love woodworking.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts