Votes: 153 99.4%
  • pay a professional

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks kbeitz, my friend/neighbour calls me that and I thought it would be a good screen name when I finally got around to joining. I have seen several of your posts, so right back at you for hoping to meet and see your extensive/odd??/rare/amazing collection some day. Your talents also shine through on your posts of projects. As soon as I figure out this posting of pictures thing I will start to participate on that level as well. I had trouble yesterday just trying to view another posters pictures of his tractor so I am figuring this out as I go.
Marlboro 180 thanks for posting that theme, that was fun. I guess a few of the younger MTF members wouldn't remember that tv show I derived my name from.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Thanks kbeitz, my friend/neighbour calls me that and I thought it would be a good screen name when I finally got around to joining. I have seen several of your posts, so right back at you for hoping to meet and see your extensive/odd??/rare/amazing collection some day. Your talents also shine through on your posts of projects. As soon as I figure out this posting of pictures thing I will start to participate on that level as well. I had trouble yesterday just trying to view another posters pictures of his tractor so I am figuring this out as I go.
Marlboro 180 thanks for posting that theme, that was fun. I guess a few of the younger MTF members wouldn't remember that tv show I derived my name from.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
A resounding "YES!"
I got out of Army in 1946, came home to a job driving the drug store delivery car. Then came more jobs, and "On the job training", learned the auto body and painting trade, and auto mechanics. Worked in Auto Body for a long time, learned electric welding, acetylene welding, etc. Built a Dinette set for my motor home, from scratch, turned out nice. Built lawn carts, and other stuff. 'long about age 72, i formally retired. Decided i'd be dead, if i didn't find something to do. (either my wife would strangle me, or i'd die from boredom!) Started fixing lawn mowers, etc. Keeps me safe from the wife and her long knives, and keeps my mind sharp and my body working well. I'm 87 yoa. And i still go out once a week to play the banjo in a bluegrass jamm session. And, i am still driving.
Rusty Jones:howdy:

·
Registered
638 Posts
A resounding "YES!"
I got out of Army in 1946, came home to a job driving the drug store delivery car. Then came more jobs, and "On the job training", learned the auto body and painting trade, and auto mechanics. Worked in Auto Body for a long time, learned electric welding, acetylene welding, etc. Built a Dinette set for my motor home, from scratch, turned out nice. Built lawn carts, and other stuff. 'long about age 72, i formally retired. Decided i'd be dead, if i didn't find something to do. (either my wife would strangle me, or i'd die from boredom!) Started fixing lawn mowers, etc. Keeps me safe from the wife and her long knives, and keeps my mind sharp and my body working well. I'm 87 yoa. And i still go out once a week to play the banjo in a bluegrass jamm session. And, i am still driving.
Rusty Jones:howdy:
Good for you. My lawn mower repairman I call "Mel the Mower Man". I had a prissy Physician's assistant (female) ask me what I did for exercise. I mentioned a bunch of strenuous jobs I did for hobby. Her answer were all no. I said drop 80' trees and mill them into lumber. Again a no. I asked her if she had ever used a chainsaw with a 30" blade all day. That ended the conversation.

·
-
1,828 Posts
I'd say yes. Bugs me to pay someone else to do something I can figure out and do myself. Plus I like learning new things.

My Dad wasn't very handy with tools, had a workbench full of them but I was the one who used them.

He recently remarked I must have gotten it from my GrandDad on my Mother's side. He's a retired plumber/HVAC/building contracter from the days when you did plumbing and everything else as well as part of the job. I've always admired his knowledge of just about everything from wiring to plumbing. He knows a lot of the old tricks too.

I like working with wood. Don't know to weld - haven't needed to learn yet but seems like a useful skill to have.

I built this arbor and planter boxes from an idea in my head. I mocked it up in SketchUp to get a grasp of proper scale, proportion, and a materials list.

The lawn in the photo above was dried up weedy earth when we bought the house. I tilled it and planted the grass, put in a fire pit. Been landscaping the front yard. Next is a shed and deck as funds and weather allow.

My hobby is working in the yard until I can't move any more. When I was younger I hated working in the yard, now it's fun. Maybe that's because it's my house that I work on now.

Last year the transaxle on my 112 got stuck in gear. I pulled the transaxle and fixed it, new experience and it was fun for me.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I tend to try and do it my self...... Up to the point of Inner tie rods on a Cavalier, several grey water showers from a sewer repair, or Central A/C problems in 110 temps. Other than that, I tackle most the other repairs.

Really need to learn to weld.
Case in point.
What's the difference in chainging the seals on a B/S 18hp Horz and a 1995 Camery. Seals not so much, all the other things, well. Got it done and saved $200.00 doing it my self.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=212971&highlight=1995+camery

·
Super Moderator
28,748 Posts
Although I don't do welding (I can run a torch though) I do basic electrical, plumping, carpentry, roofing, and vehicle maintenance to include home restoration of items to work (doubt my stuff will ever be in a show).

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
If I can do it, I do it myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like most people here "I'll give it a go" - I've built two houses, (OK one was a log cabin kit with everything pre-cut and drilled) Renovated 3 and now doing major maintenance on a house we build 17 years ago and was rented out for 9 and we moved back into 3 years ago. I do most of the mechanical work on the car and am restoring a 1963 Morris Mini (Austin to the American members) so I am very familiar with jars of Lucas Replacement Smoke. Making a big effort to get ourselves self sufficient on our 1.25 acres and all that entails. I have a family reputation of "give it to dad he'll fix it" and I usually do. My workshop needs to be bigger to accommodate 40 odd years of amassing the right equipment to do "that job" (Usually justified by the savings we make doing it ourselves)

I have two philosophies "If there are instructions written down on how to do something I can follow them" and "In a labor intensive job a dedicated amateur can do a better job than a slap dash professional"

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm one of the lucky/unlucky ones. I can, and have, done it all. No job is to big or small. My specialty is fixing the unfixable. I most enjoy working with metal. I have a fully equipped machine , welding and fabricating shop. I also have a fully equipped woodworking and finishing shop. I do pluming, electrical and electronic. Electronics isn't that hard. Get yourself a basic electronics book and think of it as plumbing, with electrons flowing instead of water. In most cases I'm able to do the repair, and, keep the smoke in.
The unlucky part is, I fix everything for everyone even repairing things that I know I won't use.
It eats up a lot of time.
I'm new to this forum and am enjoying it immensely.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
ase master car & truck, air frame powerplant schooled, if they can engineer it, I can re fix it after it gets broke. and tell you why it broke or didn't work.
also did a little farming when growing up.:)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
As long as I have time & the ability I will do it . I love the satisfaction of doing things myself , occasionally I go overboard and over do things ....

Mike

·
Registered
146 Posts
I grew up having a dad who was an MIT grad but was also self made, never completed high school yet became a welding engineer and worked on the Manhattan Project.

He made me work fo anything I wanted or said make it! We had plenty of tools to do that. I started with making boats at age 13 then cars, (hotrods) at 16. I never finished college but ended up as a titanium welding expert and worked in that industry for 18 years. In my younger years when I needed tools to do wood working, I made them. I learned how to fix old TV's so my family could have one.

Later when I wanted a house, I designed and built it, (see link below).
http://john.bitbun.com/inskeep.html
After being an engineer for 18 years I started a marine business and ran that for 20 years. Built many boats but my JSS was my favorite

Retired and designed and built another house,

Then we just bought a Christmas tree farm and I am working now on the design for a house there. I also bought a Case 580SE and a Craftsman GT500 Excellerator to use on the farm.

Never once in my life did I consider not doing it myself. I even taught myself how to play the banjo about seven years ago then built 3 and own 5 now. I preach and preach to younger folks to try and be a "do it yourselfer", a self starter. Get an idea, a dream or call it a long range plan, then keep at it, learn how to do it and have fun while at it. Whoops, I'm falling off my soapbox. Well just do it!

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I grew up having a dad who was an MIT grad but was also self made, never completed high school yet became a welding engineer and worked on the Manhattan Project.

He made me work fo anything I wanted or said make it! We had plenty of tools to do that. I started with making boats at age 13 then cars, (hotrods) at 16. I never finished college but ended up as a titanium welding expert and worked in that industry for 18 years. In my younger years when I needed tools to do wood working, I made them. I learned how to fix old TV's so my family could have one.

Later when I wanted a house, I designed and built it, (see link below).
http://john.bitbun.com/inskeep.html
After being an engineer for 18 years I started a marine business and ran that for 20 years. Built many boats but my JSS was my favorite

Retired and designed and built another house,

Then we just bought a Christmas tree farm and I am working now on the design for a house there. I also bought a Case 580SE and a Craftsman GT500 Excellerator to use on the farm.

Never once in my life did I consider not doing it myself. I even taught myself how to play the banjo about seven years ago then built 3 and own 5 now. I preach and preach to younger folks to try and be a "do it yourselfer", a self starter. Get an idea, a dream or call it a long range plan, then keep at it, learn how to do it and have fun while at it. Whoops, I'm falling off my soapbox. Well just do it!

If you bought a Christmas tree farm then you know what real work is....
People don't realize how much work goes into Christmas trees...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kbeitz, you are right about the work, we did not know a thing about tree farming until we made the purchase. However, we bought the land for the views and the water on the property not for the trees. We will build a summer house there as it is at 3200 feet elev and stays cool all summer.

The trees were let go about five years ago and the property in foreclosure making all the trees what we call "Charlie Brown trees". They have gone beyond any repair and I will use the Case 580 to take them down and burn them. I already did one row with the bucket and they go down like bowling pins.

As far as being a "do it yourselfer", I wish I could teach, convince or pass on to people how important it is in your life to take on task even if you know nothing about the subject, learn as you go. The rewards are big, real big in both money saved and self satisfaction. It seems like the more you do, the more you learn and it kind of snow-balls until you can do almost anything.

Communication using forums like this helps anyone to do just about anything to equipment. There is a world of knowledge here and on the net, it is just a complete education. Whoops, I'm preaching again!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,175 Posts
I am very capable- Only limited by my lack of certain tools and funds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a tinkerer. I've probably repaired, built, drove, or designed one. Anything from engine work, machining, to electronics. Once designed and built an operational 1/8 scale diesel locomotive. Currently building a "steadycam" for digital videography.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yup- I definitely do it all myself,except for household electrical or anything to do w/computers(unless its a diagnostic laptop at work).I worked side jobs in the Army: dude ranch,landscaping,farming,bouncer,etc.Taught myself how to do concrete(even colored or stamped),landscaping,wood working,junkyard contraption building...my first hot-rod was a Chevette w/a Isuzu diesel converted to gas head 4cyl/5spd.High compression,fast revving, first "Lincoln-Locked" axle.Then it got a 429/C6 from a '70 T-bird.After that was a Pinto wagon that got a flathead V8 from a '51 fire truck.(VERY nose heavy,hard to control).Bunch of other half assed resto/redo's over the years.Built a wood coffee table like a mini 6ft Ford truck,w/a diorama farm scene in the cab windows.Made toy boxes for all my nephews.Toys for b-days and x-mas.Made a rock,copper and wood fireplace mantle for the wife.Modified trucks,tractors,anything you can think of.I do all my vehicle repairs(sometimes I wish I could pay someone else),redid the mobile home we just moved out of in Va.Anything that has to be done,fixed,or just to keep me busy.Sometimes it works,sometimes it gets re-worked.Never go by plans-just think it up,sketch it out,build cut modify make as I go.Changes are easy along the way cuz its all in my head.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 69 Posts