Votes: 153 99.4%
  • pay a professional

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Citizen of Earth
15,263 Posts
I can frame a house, do plumbing, wire an outlet or a lamp, fix cars, some appliances, paint, and do some metal work. I can take anything ever built apart, and more than half the time get it back together. I can operate any wood working tool, do some machining, but I can't weld. I've built buildings, decks, furniture, and cabinets. Electrical stuff beyond attaching a wire is beyond me, I've wired my cable TV and phone in my house, but I'll hire a pro to do anything in my circuit breaker box.

·
21,737 Posts
I've done everything in house construction from designing the footings to capping the roof (on my own house and garage and a couple of others), auto repair, equipment design and fabrication for my tractors and many wood and steel projects over the years.

I'm a Civil Engineerig Technician by education, Industrial Mechanical Maintenance Technician (retired) by trade and backyard tinkerer by choice.

I may not be the most skillful or put the finishing touches to them that I admire so much from the other members of MTF, but darned few of my projects break or fail to function as envisioned.

Any electrical or electronic apparatus that loses its smoke goes elsewhere for repairs. I don't have enough storage space for all the spare bottles of replacement smoke. There are too many types. I have enough to contend with, with over 800 drawers of mechanical fasteners and fittings scattered around my shop.

So I guess you'd call me a do-it-yourselfer.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I can frame a house, do plumbing, wire an outlet or a lamp, fix cars, some appliances, paint, and do some metal work. I can take anything ever built apart, and more than half the time get it back together. I can operate any wood working tool, do some machining, but I can't weld. I've built buildings, decks, furniture, and cabinets. Electrical stuff beyond attaching a wire is beyond me, I've wired my cable TV and phone in my house, but I'll hire a pro to do anything in my circuit breaker box.
Anyone can weld today with the new mig welders...
Just point and pull the trigger...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
As to the "do-it-yourselfer"--anything that I'm doing,that I don't finish that day---is always still there tomorrow??So yes,guess I am.Any thing but breaking horses.A man has to draw the line somewhere.:fing32:

·
close enuff works for me
3,026 Posts
Pretty much do it all,roofing painting ,framing , cement,siding,,rebuild smashed cars, chevy drivetrain in ford pickup(streetrod).garden tractor rebuild and paint,welding ,built log splitter, 16 foot tandem axle trailer,10 utility trailer, modify garden tractors,build wood furniture,wood carving,,recently was at a demonstration of blacksmithing,,hammer, anvil , red hot metal,,,looked real interesting ,,am going to have to try that.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I notice it's Lucas branded. If you've ever worked on 60's era British cars or motorcycles, you'll know all about Lucas. Lucas was commonly referred to as the Prince of Darkness.
Yeah, because their lights never worked. For that matter I don't think anything they built worked.:thSick:

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I'm a longtime DIY too, it goes way beyond tractors. I can tackle most fixup jobs around the house thought there are certainly a few that I can't pick up as quick. Carpentry is by far my most used skill and it comes in handy many times.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Interesting thread. Glad it got started.

Some of my earliest memories are of standing on an empty powder box turning the crank on the forge and learning that trade from my Grandfather. As time passed and we got electricity the forge stood idle and we used oxy/acc more and I learned to use an arc welder.

Growing up on the farm we had to be hands on and do anything that needed done. Animals, machinery, buildings, earthwork, logging and all the rest. Dad really got me started on mechanical work when he handed me a bag of tools and informed me it was my responsibility to keep the machinery running. I was maybe 14 at the time. He paid dearly sometimes for my education. Got to the point that we never took a machine to a shop other than our own. Now I don't even change the oil in my little pickup. Know a young fellow that runs a small shop, he does a good job and makes decent coffee.

Needing things done led to our opening a contracting business that led to building houses and other buildings, starting an HVAC/R business and doing electrical contracting. Everything from the site prep to putting the building to work. Sold both of these businesses to people that worked for us when we retired. Glad to say they are still hard at it.

We built our own tillage equipment in many cases as we couldn't find just what we wanted. Bought the tines and other such that were not just cut and weld or mount bearings types of things.

Never really liked breaking horses to ride, they seemed to know this and it took me longer than it should have. Always got along with machinery better. My sister was just the opposite. Cattle and sheep were easy to handle and I've gotten along well with the various veterinarian duties involved over the years. Now it's hard to get a lot of the drugs that used to be easily acquired. Have to have a licensed vet dispense them. Cost's a heck of a lot more.

Our grandsons are the sixth generation on the place and the fourth to grow up in this house. Been fun teaching my kids and now helping teach the grandsons how to be a "hands on" person.

Guess you could say I'm a "Do it yourself" kind of person. It's in the blood.

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am a D.I.Y. guy. I love working with my hands and creating useful items. My latest endevor is a garden tractor pulling sled. No one near us had one so necessity was the mother. I convinced a couple of my buddies we cold do this and off we went. Had to back up and do over a couple of times. With no plans and only a slight idea of what we wanted it turned out ok. It is not complete but we have used it a few times and it works. Will be a new round of improvements this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Here are a few things I have design and built.

This minibike has been modified a few times.

A couple of trailers I built.

I built the gazebo and 85% of my house. Hired the brick and concrete work and H&AC.

This is the latest thing I built. Still need a larger engine.

This house I built with Fred Misenheimer.

This I built with my neighbor Fred Carter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Like many of you I try and do everything and enjoy learning new skills along the way. I do find that it is hard to keep up and am often running half a season behind. I also have to not get some projects finished in the time I would like because there is a more important repair that needs urgent attention at the time. I am also reaching an age where I am starting to say that is my last (fill in the blank with any job that hurts when you do it) job and next time I am hiring it out. As I said "starting" to think like that but have yet to hire anyone to do anything.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
I'm good for everything short of electrical. I do cutting,welding, paint, engines, but I am a poor electrician. I can run the wires and make a good looking harness, but I can't troubleshoot, or get the wiring right.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I do not like doing "wood" projects, but, will do them when necessary.

The screened in porch addition I wanted on my house was to have scissor trusses to the end, enhancing the view we have of the mountains.

The truss company said I needed to use a "gable end" truss at the end, or the snow load would cause the roof to fail. That would ruin the view!!

DSC_0066640x530.jpg

There is no gable end truss at the end of the porch, the roof has had 30" of snow on it more than once, and is over 20 years old.

Oh, yea, the brick columns have steel inside, and the porch is sitting on 14 yards of concrete.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Like many of you I try and do everything and enjoy learning new skills along the way. I do find that it is hard to keep up and am often running half a season behind. I also have to not get some projects finished in the time I would like because there is a more important repair that needs urgent attention at the time. I am also reaching an age where I am starting to say that is my last (fill in the blank with any job that hurts when you do it) job and next time I am hiring it out. As I said "starting" to think like that but have yet to hire anyone to do anything.
I like your username.
Everyone at work calls me that.
I would live to see your collection of stuff that got you your name.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts