Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Rogue Fabrication
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are yous skills in the shop?

Are you a guy who can take on tasks with the welder?

Or are you a person who takes tasks only with a torch? (some guys only take stuff apart)

or do you pay the guy down the road?

whats the best project that you care to share that you took on?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I do it all...
YOU certainly do! :fing32:

If this helps answer the questions....I honestly believe that with my past experiences, have proven to be directly related to what I can achieve currently.

Years (OK, decades) of working in the major collision industry and custom painting have given me the confidence to repair anything to look either unmolested or custom. But, my early machine shop days, long before CNC, have helped tremendously with close tolerances and my abilities to dissasemble, repair and reassemble just about anything.

I should include that I've had my share of dismal failures. Engines rebuilt to exacting tolerances....and wont start! Then, if I can't draw from my friends locally, it ends up going to a professional (or, shop). Grateful to say that it doesn't happen too often these days. YES, I'm a DIY guy :trink40:

·
Tractor enthusiast
158 Posts
I am a do it yourself guy for most things. I can't seem to be able to repair electronics consistentlythough. I do have a lot to learn though.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Yup, I'd call myself a do it yourselfer.

From drawing ( not in CAD though- I'm a goof there) to sketchup to realization. My home is a good example... Sketched my house on a napkin, then built it. Structiral steel roof components , to mudding the foundation.

Every time I think I know everything, then some amazing part of some darn thing shows me I sure don't.

When I get in over my head ( which is frequently enough) I call my friends who have expertise in a particular field, being engineering, tooling ,
mechanical whirring things, communications, whatever. But I like to be involved in whatever the solution is that they come up with.

Here's a fun one I did at my home. I call it the crazy staircase. :bonk:Torching, MIG welding, engineering, code compliance, woodwork, bodywork, painting and fire fighting skills all rolled into one.:biglaugh:

And, as Mark touched on, I too have had some failures of grand proportions too...I learn nearly every time.

Attachments

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
i can do at least a 'good enough' job on pretty much everything. i'm not a professional wood worker, electrician or plumber but with my auto/diesel technology's degree i can make it through most systems wither they are on a vehicle or in a building.

i've done many many small projects, nothing real difficult but i'd say my best was my chicken coop. i built it because i had an itch to build something. sold it a couple weeks ago for more then i had into to it.

currently working on a steerable yard cart, snowplow, and the NH LS55. and i have several more projects coming up that i want to do.

Attachments

·
10K and Climbin!
12,133 Posts
I've done a lot of things in my life (even some good!:biglaugh:) and the older I get the one thing I always seem to run into is that there is always more to learn.. Yes, I've done a lot of things in the shop and at other friend's homes and cars and equipment over the years, been involved in many industrial plumbing, machining, electrical, heating and woodworking/carpentry through the years.. Unfortunately I haven't been taking the time to take a few pictures of it until recently. (They do come in handy when trying to put the blasted thing back together!:banghead3)
I've pretty much repaired almost any toy, bike, car, snowmobile or gizmo brought my way and lately have been focusing on tractors & power equipment.. (go figure) I've leaned on folks here in this forum and they have most always come through to assist me to get the thing going again. (Thanks!):thanku: :hatsoff:
**(Also I'm too cheap to pay anyone else to do it!!:))

So, anyone with the determination (and a few tools, but there's just never enough of them you know) can do just about anything they want with some guidance and shared knowledge at a minimum cost. Hey- if it was put together, it can be taken apart, right? The real trick is putting it back together though..

Events with my life recently have taken away a lot of my memories due to medications and other problems and I truly enjoy the pride and determination of the folks that take the time to not only visit MTF but also share of themselves and their projects (& failures)! That is what makes this place the shining jewel that it is. :thThumbsU :greendr:

·
Rogue Fabrication
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a do it yourself guy for most things. I can't seem to be able to repair electronics consistentlythough. I do have a lot to learn though.
Thats two of us

I have learn that there is one thing about electronics.......everyone thinks it runs on electricity, it doesn't. electronics run on smoke, you can't see it in there, but thats how it works.

I know because, if you let the smoke out, it never works again......thats how I know!

·
Tractor enthusiast
158 Posts
Thats two of us

I have learn that there is one thing about electronics.......everyone thinks it runs on electricity, it doesn't. electronics run on smoke, you can't see it in there, but thats how it works.

I know because, if you let the smoke out, it never works again......thats how I know!
:biglaugh: Is that why I can't do it. lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
I own a welder, stand band saw, cutting torch, and 3 axis mill. Still learning how to do stuff on the mill but have been using everything else since I was a know it all teen.

Started working construction when I was 14, done mataince jobs and finally got a lic to be an electrican. Worked for almost 6 years on electric forklifts.

Grew up in a family of mechanics and on a farm where we fixed everything we could.

Still a ton of stuff I don't know but enough I do I'm not afraid to get in something and tear it up worse than I started.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
T
Here's the replacement part for it , it it happens to be British....:biglaugh:

One bottle of magic smoke , as you ordered sir....

Attachments

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Thats two of us

Not really true...
But the replacement smoke is not cheap...
To fix everything you need to think outside of the box...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would consider myself a do it yourself type, mostly like the challenge of trying.
I just get the enjoyment of standing back and looking at the finished project and taking pride in how it turned out or look at it and learn from my mistakes :)
My most recent is the three point hitch I made from junk that I had laying around. All I had to go by was the help from a few members here on measurements and pictures and I think it turned out good and it works even better.
No formal training...............

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I tend to try and do it my self...... Up to the point of Inner tie rods on a Cavalier, several grey water showers from a sewer repair, or Central A/C problems in 110 temps. Other than that, I tackle most the other repairs.

Really need to learn to weld.

·
John Deere 445
295 Posts
As a few others have mentioned, I'm too cheap (and poor) to pay someone else to do something I can do better myself. I dabble in concrete, steel, timber, electrical, plumbing, and anything else that can be done with my hands. Guess my most satisfying projects were removing load-bearing walls on several houses I've owned.

Just wish the knees would still be able to keep up with what I want to do!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts