My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Craftsman 22-inch (5HP Tecumseh) got cranky all at once last weekend and started starting in fits and starts, behaving a lot like it was almost out of gas. Pull: puff. Pull: rev, run, stall. Pull: repeat one or the other. Checked the fuel: lots of gas. I checked the spark by holding the plug against the block: no odor of fueland no spark. Seems like no fuel and no spark. New plug: no joy. I checked the carb: spec of crud blocking the brass bolt (main jet?) that holds the carb bowl on. No improvement. I checked the flywheel key: looks fine. I adjusted the gap at the armature to flywheel: no spark. I checked the gap on the new plug: on spec, no joy. I bought a new coil: $57 of no joy.

I replaced the fuel line because the transparent inline filter didn't seem to flow: tank of gas, open end.

Any ideas? The fan blowing 100-degree air on me isn't sending any.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Have you disconnected the coil ground wire where it attaches to the coil in case it's grounding out somewhere between the coil and the grounding switch?
Mike

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea. I tried disconecting the wire from the original coil: no help. I just unhooked it from the new coil. No start, but one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the final answer is:

When you cut the new intake-to-block gasket, and after you lovingly cut the two bolt holes so close you can thread the bolts in them, remember to cut the big hole in the middle for the air-fuel mixture. Otherwise, it's gonna be a while before it starts.

I definitely had a carburetor problem and I might have had a coil problem, but I didn't have an intake problem until I tried to fix the first two.

This "a-Ha" moment was brought to you by 4 hours of air conditioned napping and a good dinner.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you replaced the coil and still no love, even with the ground wire disconnected, then it is probably the magnet on the flywheel. Did you sand the magnet when you replaced the coil? If no, try that. If you did and still no good, then its probably time for a new flywheel.
Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts