My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a # 43 blade that I was thinking of trying my first "restore" on. Assuming I strip and prime it properly, would one rattle can of JD yellow be enough for two light coats on the blade? By extension I would expect that one can of green would paint the manual angle kit.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I don't think so, Steve. Not unless you want your efforts to be in vain. After wet sanding a couple of 8" rims, I think I used a can of yellow between the two. Also because I didn't use a rust converter, and primer on the few little rust spots, they showed right through.

Take a look at the early posts of Glockem's 212 restore. I think he used spray cans on pretty much everything, but primed first.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,238 Posts
Im in the process of painting my blower and can tell you your going to need at least two cans of yellow to get two coats on.

If you wet sand you may need more.

·
It's not easy being green
348 Posts
I haven't done my 42 blade yet but I'd bet you need at least one more.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I agree with the above, two cans minimum!

Lowes has a great match for deere yellow (and green) and its about 6$ a can!

And the lowes paint seems to work rather well, seems to fade faster than "normal"...

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Not a chance! Especially if you're going to paint both sides! If you ARE going to paint both sides expect to use 3-4 cans if you want it to come out right!
I just did a 42 Craftsman blade and I think I used 3 cans... but maybe it was 4. It was definitely more than 2 though!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
I agree with the above, two cans minimum!

Lowes has a great match for deere yellow (and green) and its about 6$ a can!

And the lowes paint seems to work rather well, seems to fade faster than "normal"...

Thanks for this info. Any chance you happen to have the color code for Lowe's match to the JD green and yellow?

(Also, did you mean to say that it "seems to fade slower than normal"? Or ? I'm new to this so enlighten me. Thanks.)

·
Too young to act this old
1,034 Posts
Thanks for this info. Any chance you happen to have the color code for Lowe's match to the JD green and yellow?

(Also, did you mean to say that it "seems to fade slower than normal"? Or ? I'm new to this so enlighten me. Thanks.)
It fades faster. It looks best when it is still wet. After that the sheen and luster is gone. Original Deere paint job will look great after many years with a wash. Foo foo paint makes what ever it is a 10-20 footer. I like to call my foo foo jobs a protector until I can hit it with a blast and a good paint job.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,253 Posts
One can won't do it, especially in yellow. Yellow paint doesn't seem to cover as well as darker colors, so more coats tend to be needed at least in my experience. If doing both side of the front blade, I'd probably get 3 cans to avoid the extra trip to the store when the second can runs dry just before you finish the job.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
One can won't do it, especially in yellow. Yellow paint doesn't seem to cover as well as darker colors, so more coats tend to be needed at least in my experience. If doing both side of the front blade, I'd probably get 3 cans to avoid the extra trip to the store when the second can runs dry just before you finish the job.
:ditto:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would buy a quart can of JD yellow and roll it on and use a brush in the few tuff areas to reach. That is what I used on my JD blade. First I sand wire wheel then rust prep the use etch primer then roll away. 3 years later it still looks perfect.

·
Murph
1,920 Posts
What brand of paint do you guy use, you can get the John Deere yellow at the dealer of course but TSC also sells the John Deere yellow it. Any preferences?

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts

Just my .02 UT I have used both and the JD paint is alot better and covers more. The JD cans also have alot better spray nozzle imho.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,253 Posts
I buy mine at my Deere dealer. I might save a dollar or 2 buying the stuff at Lowe's, but I'll spend that money in gas traveling to Lowe's (it is a longer drive than my Deere dealer) and plus, I like my Deere guy and rather put my money into a local business.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
When I painted my MMM I used a can of TSC yellow as a pre coat to help save the genuine JD paint.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a # 43 blade that I was thinking of trying my first "restore" on. Assuming I strip and prime it properly, would one rattle can of JD yellow be enough for two light coats on the blade? By extension I would expect that one can of green would paint the manual angle kit.
Wasn't the manual angle kit for the #43 black? I thought the green was only used on attachments for the round fender tractors and they used black on the square fenders and newer?

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wasn't the manual angle kit for the #43 black? I thought the green was only used on attachments for the round fender tractors and they used black on the square fenders and newer?
Maybe it is supposed to be black, but it's green now. It may have been repainted in the past. This is a brass tag blade that came with a '68 112H. I don't know if it matters but the blade seems at least a couple inches taller than my other model 43 blade, and I don't think it's just the worn scraper edge.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Maybe it is supposed to be black, but it's green now. It may have been repainted in the past. This is a brass tag blade that came with a '68 112H. I don't know if it matters but the blade seems at least a couple inches taller than my other model 43 blade, and I don't think it's just the worn scraper edge.
ggsteve,

Our 43 blade is not a brass tag. But it measures out at 16" high. How does that compare to yours?

Also, the few pieces of the manual angle kit that we do have are black and yellow. The blade itself is yellow, and the mount is black.

Sorry to highjack your thread earlier with questions about paint sources (but thanks to everyone who replied with that helpful info).

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
TSC's Valspar "Restoration Series" is really good, but it is about the same price as geniune JD paint. I usually always use GOOD paint when using a spray can unless I don't care how it looks in two years. Also, I bet you will definitely need at least 3 cans of yellow for the blade. One green or black should be fine for the mount.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.