My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
This picture tells it all...

1966 John Deere 110 I restored a number of years ago, the original hood was in horrible shape. As I neared the home stretch in the restoration I opted to purchase a hood from another fella that was already done to put on my tractor.

Imagine my dismay when I installed the hood, only to realize it was "Classic Green" and not "Ag/Consumer Green" This picture shows the difference clearly...

Long story short...I lived with it for a few weeks, then ordered new decals, wet sanded an otherwise flawless hood and repainted it with the correct color.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This picture tells it all...

1966 John Deere 110 I restored a number of years ago, the original hood was in horrible shape. As I neared the home stretch in the restoration I opted to purchase a hood from another fella that was already done to put on my tractor.

Imagine my dismay when I installed the hood, only to realize it was "Classic Green" and not "Ag/Consumer Green" This picture shows the difference clearly...

Long story short...I lived with it for a few weeks, then ordered new decals, wet sanded an otherwise flawless hood and repainted it with the correct color.
wow look so good! is that bright green? is that valspar?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I paint all my John Deere tractors, regardless of model with John Deere paint, which is made by Valspar, or so I'm told.

Classic Green John Deere enamel with hardener, sprayed with a gun...

1959 430W

Ag/Consumer Green John Deere enamel, sprayed with a can...

1967 112H

My Farmall M is painted with Valspar Restoration Series IH Red...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
all my paintjobs are rustoleum implement series, buy it buy the quart, thin with acetone add a little urethane catalyst. sprays really nice and lays down good. drys rock hard with great gloss. the 214 was clear coated also with a urethane automotive clear coat. the 317 is just rustoleum. cant really tell a difference. im planning on trying valspar when i find a 110RF. good luck.

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Your tractor should be Ag/Consumer green...

Here's my '85 420. Guy down the road from me bought it new, traded it in on new X series in the fall of '05, I bought it in the spring of '06. Never been painted, and other than some of its time spent sitting on the dealers lot, it never sit outside. This picture show its original, aged paint just like I bought it...

Here's the same tractor, near same angle. Tractor was brought home and wetsanded with 2000 grit paper and waxed...that's it. Looks like to different colors huh?

In my humble opinion what screws up alot peoples perception of the color on the "new" tractors is the fact that it is not a paint, its molded plastic. I think the paint "ages" alot differently on the older 70's and 80's vintage tractors with painted f'glass hoods and steel bodys.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts

Here's my '85 420. Guy down the road from me bought it new, traded it in on new X series in the fall of '05, I bought it in the spring of '06. Never been painted, and other than some of its time spent sitting on the dealers lot, it never sit outside. This picture show its original, aged paint just like I bought it...

Here's the same tractor, near same angle. Tractor was brought home and wetsanded with 2000 grit paper and waxed...that's it. Looks like to different colors huh?

In my humble opinion what screws up a lot peoples perception of the color on the "new" tractors is the fact that it is not a paint, its molded plastic. I think the paint "ages" a lot differently on the older 70's and 80's vintage tractors with painted fiberglass hoods and steel body.
I agree, nice 420 BTW. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts

This is a 1986 #80 trailer ( obviously newer JD Green) and never repainted.
This has been the problem touching-up older JD's The color changes over time as you can see under the bracket, and you think it is the fault of the spray paint you just bought, what ever kind you use.
So I end up repainting the whole piece, a giant PITA when you only need to do a section, like on a fender deck !!!!!! :crybaby:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

In my humble opinion what screws up alot peoples perception of the color on the "new" tractors is the fact that it is not a paint, its molded plastic. I think the paint "ages" alot differently on the older 70's and 80's vintage tractors with painted f'glass hoods and steel bodys.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=111&sid=7435830

that one is Ag/Consumer ??

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.